The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 31, 2009, 11:07 AM   #1
RRR

Hand cannon!

Just got a Thompson/Center Scout pistol 54cal seems really well made. Anyone have one?
Old May 31, 2009, 11:31 AM   #2
Pahoo

I have owned both the pistol and carbine. Both in .50. Lots of fun and good shooters. Not sure what exactly you are asking. I hunted with the carbine for a couple of years and did take one deer. I suppose you would have to classify these as in-lines. I think I still have a scope base w/rings sitting around if you ever get around to mounting one. Frankly, Not sure I ever understood or appreciate the side vents on the reciever.

Be Safe !!!
Old May 31, 2009, 11:40 AM   #3
RRR

Pahoo

I have never had one before. I like info from people who have things that are new to me. I plan O like info on anything new to me. Plus those danged vents one the side had me puzzled."Not sure I ever understood or appreciate the side vents on the reciever." Also I wanted to know if they(Scout) had a halfcock or the likes mine does not but seems to have had one. and I don't know how to get it apart(Scout)LOL
Old May 31, 2009, 12:40 PM   #4
RRR

Looks like some moron drilled out the forearm for a ram rod and took the head off the screw holding it on. Also I beleive they(moron)broke the screw holding the barrel to the frame and glued it on/in!!!! So it looks like I will have to shoot it off with light loads. Some people should not own guns...
Old May 31, 2009, 02:40 PM   #5
arcticap

If the gun is in good shape otherwise maybe the TC repair shop can help fix it up.
Try calling TC customer service at 603-332-2333.

Last edited by arcticap; June 1, 2009 at 01:31 PM.
Old May 31, 2009, 04:05 PM   #6
Pahoo

RRR
Don't blame you for wanting to do a little homework on this M/L. I do the same. Do a search on this forum to see past posts on this M/L. Sorry to say that they are odd. The hammer and nipple are not conventional. I figure that vents are there so you cannot over pressure on heavy loads. I might still have a manual but will have to do some looking. If you are having mechanical problems, arcticap has a great suggestion and the folks at TC surely will help you out. Don't phone them, just send your pistol in at the address you will find in their website. Make sure you include a list of problems in the box.

Be Safe !!!
Old May 31, 2009, 05:11 PM   #7
RRR

arcticap/Pahoo

Will give them a call first thing Monday morn. Shoots great with Great Plains 425gr HB-HPs over 60gr of P-dex. a light load I know but, don't know the gun yet. Cleaned on it about 4 hours all works fine now trigger is smooth. Reblued it. Down loaded a manual did search on the web with do one here next. May just fix it myself got a mill at the shop(H&S Powersports). Going to shoot it a bit first then figger out what I want to do.
Old May 31, 2009, 07:12 PM   #8
Pahoo

Super
The reason I said just to send it in is because they are sometimes hard to communicate with. They use to be better before the big fire. Sounds like you have it well in hand and my compliments. I keep forgetting that you have the pistol and I sure enjoyed the shooting my .50 carbine.

Be Safe !!!
Old June 1, 2009, 09:26 AM   #9
RRR

Called T/C 3 rings and CS was on the ball! They said send it back and all will be fixxed for free!!!!! Man I have lucked out 3 times at the flea market one 50cal CVA Plainsman just needing a good cleaning 50 bucks.One Ultra-HI KY pistol needing the same 50 bucks and the Scout 50 bucks. Man I love the flea market(s)!!!!!
Old June 1, 2009, 07:11 PM   #10
robhof

robhof

Where's your flea market??? Anything resembling a B/p gun here is said to be an antique; even when it plainly says Uberti on the barrel. Of course this is Ky and everything is an antique here.
Old June 2, 2009, 06:01 PM   #11
RRR

robhof"Where's your flea market???"

All over LOL. Man you got to know how to haggle. Got a Dasiy V/L for 30 bucks at the same one.
Old June 26, 2009, 10:13 AM   #12
RRR

Thompson/Center service sucks!!!!!!

Sent the Scout to T/C for a little service. They sent it back with a note saying we can not do the work you requeted because of rust... That was fine BUT the non-gunsmith named jask(ass) beat my triggerguard dam near flat getting to frame off!!!!!!!!!!!! Now what to do? I called t/c this mourn to find out the deal was, I so mad I could not hardly talk.