The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 18, 2008, 02:27 PM   #1
kw5891

optima pro nickel 50 cal how to clean nickel outside & inside

need help how to clean barrel it nickel only shot twice but it has a film on barrel and what best way to clean in side any thing in my kitchen that will clean ? [email protected]
Old October 27, 2008, 10:20 PM   #2
wpcexpert

Alright, you are going to have to put those words into readable sentences. It is real hard to read. I’m not saying that it has to be English paper worthy, but try some sentence structure and a little punctuation. Then someone might respond. I’ve got quite a bit of experience with modern muzzleloaders and would be happy to share…if I could make out your post.

After re-reading it I've got it. You want to know if there is anything in your kitchen that will clean your nickle .50cal muzzleloader.

Well, it depends on the film. You said it was on the outside too? That could be anything. Try Windex. You have fired it twice, so I'm assuming it is REAL dirty in the barrel. That is going to be a lot more tricky. Some folks run a hot bath with Dawn dish soap and let it soak and run brushes thru it. But the easiest way that I've found is this, and I do it after every shot.

I got some Butch's Bore Shine. After each shot, I take out the breech plug and run 2 patches soaked with the bore shine. Then run a brush up and down about 10 times. Then 2 more patches with the bore shine, then dry patch it until completely dry.

The whole process takes about 5-7 minutes...the right time to wait for the barrel to cool. And you get better groups when shooting since your not shooting down an extremely fowled barrel. You also must wait for the barrel to cool down. If you don't, your groups will become real eratic. The plastic in either the Sabots or the power belt will become softer and will not create the proper seal and will lose energy. The gasses escape around the plactic and not drive the bullet down the barrel.

Hope this helps.

Shawn
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson