The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 19, 2000, 06:44 PM   #1
wirenut

I just ordered one. Should get it on Monday or Tuesday. Does anyone out there have one and if so how do they like it? I will be using it for trap & skeet, eventually sporting clays. The A390 Trap was recommended highly by a shotgun smith. Since
the 390 is replaced by the AL391 I purchased it instead. I am new to shotgunning but I,m
sure that I'll like it.
Old February 20, 2000, 12:13 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I have a 390; haven't shot it all that much, but I can hit with it pretty good. A lot of the Sporting Clays types seem to like it. No recoil to amount to anything with high-base 3-3/4 dram equiv, 1-3/4 oz 7-1/2 shot...

FWIW, Art
Old February 22, 2000, 12:17 AM   #3
MKissel

Someone steered you right. I just got mine, and it shoots great.
Old February 22, 2000, 09:17 PM   #4
K80Geoff

Just got my copy of this month's Clay Pigeon newspaper. The Technoid (AKA Bruce Buck) has been field testing one loaned to him by Beretta. I have seen him humping it around at the monthly Connecticut Travellers sporting clays shoot. Bruce seems to like it, says it is an improvement over the AL390.

The Beretta autos are taking over in Sporting Clays, even the Brits are starting to shoot them. Being an old curmudgeon, I refuse to shoot an auto. I will probably be the last double shooter in the sport.

Geoff Ross
Old February 24, 2000, 10:32 AM   #5
johnbt

I've been looking at 12 ga. 391s in two local stores and am curious if your 391s have the alloy receiver(<7lbs.) or the steel receiver (7.3 lbs.). According to the new Beretta catalog I picked up yesterday, the steel receiver model is the 391 Urika U - I think I have this straight, I don't have the catalog with me. Beretta is marketing it to the hunter who shoots stiffer loads. I think I will wait and see what the field grade 391 U model looks like with upgraded wood. Thanks John
Old February 24, 2000, 05:34 PM   #6
wirenut

The version I have is the one with the alloy receiver. I wanted it primarily for sporting
purposes so I didn't need a steel receiver.
I haven't shot mine yet but I can't wait to do so.
Old February 25, 2000, 07:06 AM   #7
johnbt

Well hop to it so you can give us an update! And if you will, please put a couple of 3" shells through it. Thanks. John