The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 13, 2018, 07:34 PM   #1
vaaccess

Love/Hate My Marlin 60 .22 -- What to do?

So I have a Marlin 60, it's really nice to shoot and on-target with the iron sights.

But, I hate the tube feed. Hate it. I store the gun without ammo, and am often grabbing it, feeding a few bullets in it, taking care of a varmint, then having to dump the bullets out of the tube and put it back in storage.

I want to switch to a cartridge magazine style rifle to use in these situations.

I do not need a bunch of guns, and have a good spread right now in these calibers: .22, .308, 12-gauge

I'm debating getting rid of this Marlin and getting a different .22, (bolt-action or semi-auto, I'm fine with either)...Or perhaps adding another caliber to the lineup.

I've read some about the .17s, but it seems to be a lot of extra oomph for a rodent or whatever that's anywhere from 25-100 yards away. Though I recently went into a gun store and saw some smaller .17s that might be a good choice, though frankly knew nothing about what they actually were.

I'm not willing to spend a ton of money, don't need anything fancy, and don't mind it if the price/bullet is higher/lower than another...I don't think it'll make THAT much of a difference given the number of rounds I shoot. (Not an incredible amount.)

Anyway, I think I'd just feel safer working with a cartridge magazine versus sliding bullets into/out-of the Marlin.

Thanks for the thoughts/help!
Old April 13, 2018, 07:56 PM   #2
Don Fischer

I have a Marlin in 22 mag with the tube feed. Don't like the feed at all but caqn't complain about the gun one bit. Mine is a bolt action mod 783. Keep thinking about getting a new 22mg with a magazine and money loosen's up a bit, I will!
Old April 13, 2018, 08:01 PM   #3
Panfisher

Take the rifle with you to a few gun stores. Look for some thing like a Marlin 25n with a removeabe mag. My Marlin 60 (actually the older Glenfield model) I just left the tube full of ammo. Work the bolt carefully and you can remove the one from the chamber and the next one, allowing it to close on an empty chamber.
Old April 13, 2018, 08:58 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Wouldn't it be a lot simpler and cheaper to just leave the gun loaded?
Old April 13, 2018, 09:06 PM   #5
Rangerrich99

Am I missing something? Why can't you just leave the bullets in the gun?
Old April 13, 2018, 09:13 PM   #6
O4L

I just leave mine loaded.
Old April 13, 2018, 09:13 PM   #7
RC20

He says he is worried about safety, nothing wrong with multiple practices to ensure no live rounds.

Bolt Actions CZ makes some pretty darned good 22s ($350 or so, not cheap, good sights, acccurte)

Savage also makes some good 22s.

I went through a number of 22s over the years, I like accurate ones, those two would be it.

Marlin I believe is good but have been known to be pretty picky.
Old April 13, 2018, 09:21 PM   #8
Sharkbite

The Ruger American line is pretty amazing for the money. I have 3 of them (two 22’s and a 17hmr). Same magazine as the 10/22 in the 22lr.

If you want another Semi, the 10/22 is hard to beat as well
Old April 13, 2018, 09:38 PM   #9
kozak6

If it's a newer one, it can be converted to use a box magazine.
Old April 13, 2018, 09:42 PM   #10
vaaccess

Yeah, I realize leaving it loaded would be easier, but I just don't feel right doing that. Even though it's in a safe, I won't be comfortable carrying it loaded in the house to get to the safe and want to easily get the bullets in/out.

Converted to use a box magazine? I don't think mine is newer, bought it used a few years ago, but thinking a conversion might be more trouble than it's worth.

Appreciate all the comments.
Old April 13, 2018, 10:15 PM   #11
BBarn

Since you are only talking a few rounds, how about just cycling them out?
Old April 13, 2018, 11:28 PM   #12
Cheapshooter

Sounds similar to the flawed thinking of carrying a concealed pistol without a round in the chamber.
If you must, before entering your house manually pull the bolt back ejecting the chambered round. Push the bolt handle in, locking it open. Release the tube magazine, and pull it forward slightly. Lower the muzzle just enough that the round that the bolt would pick up moves forward enough for tye bolt to clear. Release the bolt, now on an empty chamber, and lock the tube in place.
Unless you are still concerned about the magazine having rounds in it. But just like in the case of a CCW pistol, an empty chamber is an empty gun. It's in a safe where nobody will inadvertently charge it.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 13, 2018, 11:30 PM   #13
Water-Man

Get a Marlin 795. Less than $150.00.
Old April 14, 2018, 04:27 AM   #14
tubeshooter

^ Yep - the model 795 is the box-fed version of the model 60.

Trading your current gun in for the 795 should offset much of the cost. Will have to find it used, but shouldn't be too hard to come across. Good luck.
Old April 14, 2018, 05:35 AM   #15
Blindstitch

I have a tube fed 783 and it works great. No worries about the tube. On the other hand I have several other bolt action 22's that I would single feed in your incident. I wouldn't even bother with selling the model 60 unless it's a private sale because it's not worth much on the second hand market through a gun store or pawn shop.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Ruger 10/22 yet as it's the normal rival to the Model 60 if you want semi auto.
Old April 14, 2018, 07:06 AM   #16
Picher

I have a 10-22 that's great for pests, but normally use my CZ455 .22 mag for woodchucks in the back yard because the .22 LR is a bit weak for body shots as they're laying in the grass.

I keep three magazines full and ready to dispatch varmints (2 5s and a 10). Killed a 30 lb Eastern coyote with it from the porch last week.
Old April 14, 2018, 07:22 AM   #17
vaaccess

So what are everyone's thoughts on a .17-caliber and having that be the go-to gun for this use? As noted, I'm not sure I'd get that much for the Marlin if I sold it so keeping it as my .22 and adding a .17 is somewhat appealing. Though I've never shot one, I've read good things.

And while I appreciate the thoughts on keeping cartridges in the tube magazine, and how that could be safe, I just don't like it. I prefer to have a cartridge magazine where I can easily see how many rounds I have in it and what I have/don't have in the gun. Keeping the Marlin is definitely not out of the question, as I said, I do love shooting it. But I just don't like the tube for onsie/twosie shooting when dealing with a yard rodent.
Old April 14, 2018, 08:53 AM   #18
dgludwig

Quote:
Converted to use a box magazine? I don't think mine is newer, bought it used a few years ago, but thinking a conversion might be more trouble than it's worth.
Yeah, in terms of practicality and expense, a conversion project is probably the worst idea of all. Sell/trade/keep your tube-fed Marlin and get the rifle you prefer.
Old April 14, 2018, 09:36 AM   #19
RC20

Quote:
And while I appreciate the thoughts on keeping cartridges in the tube magazine, and how that could be safe, I just don't like it. I prefer to have a cartridge magazine where I can easily see how many rounds I have in it and what I have/don't have in the gun. Keeping the Marlin is definitely not out of the question, as I said, I do love shooting it. But I just don't like the tube for onsie/twosie shooting when dealing with a yard rodent.
I fully respect that by the way. One persons so called logic is not another's gut feeling and yours is what counts.

I think any gun owner should have a good 22. I have 3 great built up custom rifles, I still take the 22 down and shoot it. Good low cost target shooting.

As for 17 caliber and the like. It cost more and not sure what you get for it unless maybe you are a professional varmint killer. Be worth looking up bear wear out.

My brother has a clip marlin, not sure what model, it took us quite a bit of testing to find a round it liked. The CZ shoot everything decently , some better to sub moa, but I like you can hit a squirrels head at 50 yards with any ammo you wind up with (and did through he outages) - now I get to play with the high priced spread and see if it will shoot any of it better, but at $7 a box its a low cost addiction!
Old April 14, 2018, 09:59 AM   #20
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Typically 22s aren't worn out when traded-in. {Just needing a new appreciative owner.}_ I happen to own a Marlin 22 mag bolt clip fed. Bought it used near the 3/4 mark of the last century. Solid tank like 22 made of Michigan or Minnesota iron ore. Quite unlike today's plasticize everything if doable and barrels likely made from Chinese pig iron. Instead of buying new. Consider keeping a eye on those used gun racks. Every now & then a dandy will catch your attention. All that's required of you? Being at the right place at the right time with wallet in hand.
Old April 14, 2018, 10:28 AM   #21
vaaccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure Shot Mc Gee View Post
Typically 22s aren't worn out when traded-in. {Just needing a new appreciative owner.}_ I happen to own a Marlin 22 mag bolt clip fed. Bought it used near the 3/4 mark of the last century. Solid tank like 22 made of Michigan or Minnesota iron ore. Quite unlike today's plasticize everything if doable and barrels likely made from Chinese pig iron. Instead of buying new. Consider keeping a eye on those used gun racks. Every now & then a dandy will catch your attention. All that's required of you? Being at the right place at the right time with wallet in hand.
Yeah, I've only purchased Used so far. Seems like the best bang for the buck.

Appreciate all the input. I'll probably swap out the Marlin 60 vs going with another caliber. Probably will get a bolt action this time around since they are typically built like a tank!
Old April 14, 2018, 11:01 AM   #22
Pahoo

Just Saying !!??

Quote:
Love/Hate My Marlin 60 .22 -- What to do?
With all due respect, the choices should not be all that confusing. Your Marlin-60 is a very serviceable rifle and you say you enjoy shooting it. The 60, is what it is and if you flip it, you won't get much for it. You could partially load the tube then load one or two dummy two dummy rounds and finally install a visible stop flag blocking the action. .....

Then I read that you might prefer a mag fed semi-auto. As mentioned already, the 10/22 would be an excellent choice. I'd have my loaded mag handy and you can still install the stop-flag/block. Last week, we had a chain-store add, listing new 10/22 for $179.00. That is really cheap for a new one. Also, I certainly would not exclude the Savage MK-II....

Quote:
So what are everyone's thoughts on a .17-caliber and having that be the go-to gun for this use?
You don't want another rifle but now you are looking at a new caliber that you "might" not need. ....

Quote:
.22 mag for woodchucks in the back yard because the .22 LR is a bit weak for body shots as they're laying in the grass.
I have easily taken Whistle-Pigs at 50 yards, in the field and used .22-Shorts in my back lot. About the only time I use my .22-Mag is when I hunt one of my spots that is loaded with Coyotes. .....

You call and;
Be Safe !!!!
Old April 14, 2018, 11:42 AM   #23
Kvon2

You asked about 17hmr, its an awesome little caliber. Make sure you research prices where you will actually be buying it. Its still cheaper than a lot if center fire cartridges but considerably more expensive than .22lr

Another affordable bolt gun is the Mossberg 802. My fiancee has one(pink stock and all) and a handy little rifle. Light weight, solid accuracy and the mags are sturdy and reliable.
Old April 14, 2018, 12:00 PM   #24
DaleA

Quote:
And while I appreciate the thoughts on keeping cartridges in the tube magazine, and how that could be safe, I just don't like it.
Another vote for doing what you feel comfortable with. And someday it might not be you opening the safe.
Old April 14, 2018, 01:50 PM   #25
muzzleblast...

Many, many years ago my first .22LR rifle was a Marlin, plain Jane, "Glenfield" model 60. I topped it with a then state of the art Weaver 3x - 6x "V22" scope. The combo was supremely accurate with the original Winchester "Dynapoint", semi-hollow point ammo. I spent many hours in the woods and fields of north Louisiana with it and my feist dog, Rufus.

As to the question of whether something else would be better for you... If, you have reservations about your M-60, then the answer is definitely, "Perhaps."

All I can say is, in a still unforgotten incident, my little brother unfortunately separated me from my M-60. The Remington 541-S that I replaced it with was never the Marlin's equal.

Last edited by muzzleblast...; April 14, 2018 at 01:56 PM.