The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 14, 2010, 03:04 AM   #1
gram

Muzzle Brake PLEASE HELP.

Well i have a CZ 858/vz58 (7.62x39) rifle and Ive been shooting it for about 2 years now without a muzzle brake. The other day i purchased this brake, fairly heavy brake in my opinion (3.6 oz) to be exact. I shot about 140 rounds at the range, didn't see much of a difference at all in recoil/muzzle rise so i decided to ditch the brake (not well made i guess)... ANYWAYS the real question i have is.. is the point of impact going to be the same when i go to shoot the rifle next time without the heavy brake?? since i have been reading about barrel harmonics and how muzzle brakes can screw that up.. is it going to be as simple as just re zeroing in the iron sights??? or am i stuck with having the brake on in-order to have decent accuracy? its a screw on brake by the way.
Old May 14, 2010, 03:11 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

It should go back to whatever you were getting before you put the brake on.
Old May 14, 2010, 05:09 AM   #3
CPTMurdoc30

If you sighted in with the break on then you take the break off it will change the POI for the gun. Not only because of the weight change on the end of your barrel but also because it affect the bullet as well.....

Tags
barrel , cz 858 , muzzle brake , target accuracy , zeroing