The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 30, 2011, 10:12 AM   #1
Billy Waugh

Issues with trimming

Im new to hand-loading, Im loading .308 on pretty much all RCBS equiptment. On my first batch of ammo though, Like bonehead did not zero my caliper properly before sizing around 30 cases, so instead of being trimmed to 2.007 they were trimmed to 2.003/2.002 Is it ok to resize them back up to 2.007??
Old January 30, 2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Ike666

I've just got to ask, are you THE Billy Waugh?
Old January 30, 2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Billy Waugh

No its just a handle of mine and also my way of paying homage to one of the most serious operators to walk the face of the planet.
Old January 30, 2011, 12:35 PM   #4
dawico

I don't understand your question. How are you going to resize them back up? I am lost.
Old January 30, 2011, 01:27 PM   #5
hammie

@dawico: I thought that too. Unless I'm missing something, isn't this like cutting a ceramic tile too short, and then going to home depot and trying to find a tile stretcher?

@billywaugh: Please forgive me. I'm not making fun of your plight. My hornady manual gives a minimum trim length of 2.005. If you go by that, then you're only about .002 to .003 too short. That shouldn't pose any problems. Since the trimmed cartridges are all the same length, crimping (if you crimp) shouldn't be a problem either. Just adjust your die.
Old January 30, 2011, 02:32 PM   #6
Billy Waugh

Thanks Hammie that answered my question.... which i dont think I stated my problem clear enough. It ending up just being my caliper. The cases were sized correctly. The caliper I just ordered (Hornady Digital) seem to be defective because it just wont hold a zero. after using a friends RCBS digital Caliper I realized they were all in the 2.006 - 2.009 range.....Just to clarify, new cases trimmed below 2.005 can still be loaded?
Old January 30, 2011, 03:08 PM   #7
hammie

@billywaugh: It depends on how much you trim, but in general, for .002 to .003, yes.

On my .32-20, when most jacketed bullets are seated to the cannelure, the bullet jams against the rifling and it won't chamber. The trim length on the .32-20 is 1.305 and I have to trim to 1.280 for things to work in my marlin 1894. That's .025 inches of trimming below the minimum length. Of course the .32-20 is a low pressure cartridge. On some cartridges, like the 9mm luger, very small changes in bullet seating depth can make very big changes in chamber pressures.

Last edited by hammie; January 30, 2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old January 30, 2011, 03:22 PM   #8
dawico

I make it a practice of trimming a little shorter than what the manual states. What can I say, I don't like to trim very often. As long as you don't have bullet setback issues, I don't consider it a problem. I don't load shorter than the recommended length though, that could get into pressure issues.
Old January 30, 2011, 10:05 PM   #9
Woodyed

It almost sounds like you trimmed the cases before you sized them. Normal procedure is to size the case before you trim. Maybe I misunderstood your initial post and question though.
Old January 30, 2011, 10:47 PM   #10
testuser

This can happen to the best of us. Running them through the sizing die again might length the cartridges, but you'll be reducing the life of your brass in doing so. It's also a lot of unnecessary work.

Trim-to-length is not set in stone, unlike other cartridge dimensions. So long as you have a enough neck tension to hold the bullet in place and you aren't seating the bullets too deep as measured by your catridge overall length, then you're fine. The shoulder determines headspace. All the neck does is provide enough tension to hold the bullet, as well as insuring an acceptable overall length.

The first manual I had handy says a trim-to-length of 2.005 inches. The additional .002 or .003 inches you removed shouldn't make any appreciable difference. Heck, there are probably some brands of bullets that vary in length by that much, if not more...
Old January 31, 2011, 10:44 AM   #11
Billy Waugh

Testuser that answered my question perfectly.....thank you all for the help my first batch shot great no problems.
Old January 31, 2011, 11:42 AM   #12
howlnmad

If your digital caliper is having a problem holding zero, change the battery. Those things eat up batteries.
Old January 31, 2011, 03:32 PM   #13
Billy Waugh

I tried that as well, it was brand new out of the box. I sent it back and ordered an RCBS
Old February 1, 2011, 02:17 AM   #14
Ideal Tool

Hello, I'll bet you guys would get a real eye opener if you ever checked the actual length of YOUR chamber instead of what is printed in a book. I did this by turning up a brass plug, the same dia. as O.D. of case neck, sacrificed case by shortening neck to allow plug to be pushed back when chambered..Brownells or Sinclair sell these also. My chamber was a full .025" longer than max. length listed for ctg. I have talked to gunsmiths who said this is common..some as long as .040"! So until you check, I wouldn,t worry about .002"...my trimmer is beginning to grow cobwebs!