The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 19, 2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Nero45

22 Hornet loading

I purchased a very nice Ruger 77/22 Hornet a few months back and am enjoying it a lot however my plans have always been to reload the rifle. My info is very limited for reloading rifles although I've been reloading pistol ammo for quite a few years. Any info would be helpful with this calber however I do know I would like to load up some Hornady V-Max rounds at some point. Thank you.
Old January 19, 2011, 05:26 PM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

the Hornet is like up a couple steps from basic reloading ( the brass cases are so thin ) I load alot of 22 Hornet, & I still waste a couple cases everytime I set up to load them... it is so easy to colapse a shoulder

that said... once you get everything set right, & remember how frail the brass is, the roll through pretty good & accuracy can be very rewarding

BTW... I load for 17 K Hornet ( 22 hornet case necked down to 17 caliber ), regular 22 Hornet, & 22 Hornet fast twist ( I built both a custom revolver & a Ruger like yours, with 1 in 9" twist barrels, which allows me to load up to 68 grain bullets in the 22 Hornet

when you get ready, ( be prepared to waste a few cases ) & you have specific questions, ask up... there are several on here that load the Hornet
Old January 20, 2011, 06:25 PM   #3
hornetguy

Some general thoughts..
I started out with a Ruger, but traded it for a TC Contender with a 16" stainless barrel. I liked the Ruger (laminated stock, stainless) but it was just heavier than I wanted for my walking around plinking gun. So I never really worked up any loads for it. I did read that some folks have had accuracy issues with it that were traced back to the 2-piece bolt that Ruger uses. I think there was a generally accepted fix for it, but I don't remember what it involved. Google is your friend
I did quite a bit of loading for the hornet in the contender... that barrel was one of the most accurate barrels I've ever seen on my frame. I would regularly shoot 3/4" groups at 100yds.. which is pretty amazing for me.
I wanted a K-hornet, and a slightly longer barrel (16" is loud) so I sold that one and bought a Bulberry 21" K-hornet. I still have it, and love it.

Powders for max velocity loads in the hornet start with LilGun, which is probably the best for top speeds without the max pressures. My very close second favorite is AA1680. It's just a really nice, consistent powder. Velocities are slightly lower than with LilGun. Most people say 13.0gr of LilGun in the hornet, but I never could get that much in without really compressing it, which I don't like to do.
Other good powders are 296, H110, AA9, 2400.... you can shoot good groups with all of those.
I do shoot right around 13gr in my K-hornet, with the 40gr V-Max bullet, and get almost 3200fps. I think you can expect about 2900-3000fps from the regular hornet?
I think I remember some folks having problems with the length of the magazine on the Ruger. You might check the OAL of a case loaded with a V-Max to make sure it will feed.
Some loads, particularly less than full power loads are perfectly happy with small pistol primers, or you can use the Remington 6 1/2 primer, which is a milder small rifle primer. Magnum primers are just not necessary in this small case, and more than likely will make more erratic loads, pressure wise.
I've taken one coyote with it, at about 80yds, pretty much DRT. Quite a few jackrabbits, some crows, various other small varmints, and a lot of horse apples.
The hornet is HIGHLY addictive. There's just something about a hot little cartridge that is easy on the ears, and will smackdown large jackrabbits with aplomb, that only uses 12-13gr of powder. Good stuff...
Old January 20, 2011, 07:16 PM   #4
Ideal Tool

Hello, Nero45. I use H4227 for my accuracy loads. If you ever get bored merely picking bullets out of a box and shoving them in cases, try cast-bullet loading in the Hornet!
Old January 21, 2011, 10:45 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

I've found the Ruger Rotary magazine works fine for my fast twist loads even with slightly deepened seating of 68 grain bullets ( I basically chose an over all cartridge length of the length of the cylinder on my revolver, which I built 1st to test the fast twist design ) lucky for me, the ruger handles cartridges that length as well...

my Ruger is a new all weather, which I bought about a year ago, & it's shooting great groups with heavy bullets ( honestly, I never even shot it once with the factory barrel ) but I bought a used CZ in 22 Hornet, shortly after the Rugers came out ( many years ago ) the CZ is a tack driver... I heard the day after I bought it, the guy who traded it in ( on a then brand new Ruger ) was unhappy with the groups from the early Ruger & wanted to buy his CZ back... unfortunately for him, I had already bought it... but from my understanding, some of the older Rugers had less than stellar accuracy, but I've heard the newer ones shoot pretty good... mine shoots excellent, but it's not stock anymore...

I also have an older 10" octogon Contender barrel ( my 17 K Hornet is also an older 10" octogon ) & my 22 Hornet Contender is capable of just over 1" groups at 100 yards, using the scope I have on it, & a steady rest... I have no doubt, if I could shoot the pistol better, that the gun is more capable than I...

in regular Hornet, in the past, I always used 4227... I've used some different powders for the fast twist, & not loaded anything lately in regular Hornet... I'd like to try the 36 grain Barnes Varmin Grenade with Lil Gun, next time I load... the Barnes bullet has show great promise for a light weight bullet in the faster twist guns, & is light enough it aught to stabilize well in the standard twist guns
Old January 22, 2011, 04:15 PM   #6
Bigdog57

My current favorite .22 Hornet loading is the 45 grain V-Max bullet over Hodgdon's LilGun powder.
I do plan to try some lighter bullets soon - I have 40 grain bullets and want to try the 35 grainers.

My rifle is the BRNO ZBK110 single-shot break-open.
Old January 29, 2011, 11:12 PM   #7
Colorado Redneck

Loading for the 22 hornet

The Hornady New Dimension seater die is the best. It has a sleeve that guides the bullets and keeps them straight.

Neck size only. The brass will last longer, and there seems to be no problem just neck sizing.

Hornady 40 gr. V-Max over Lil Gun works good. I have great luck with 13 grains Lil Gun.

The ONLY primers I have found that work are Remington 6 1/2. The Rem 7 1/2 don't shoot for beans. Neither do other small rifle primers.

Cartridge length is important. If they are too long, they may not work in your magazine and feed right.

Figure on wasting a few cases (as stated by other posters).

Just one other thing: Calhoun 30 grain bullets over 12.3 H110 works better than anything else I have found. Chrony 3200 fps and shoot tight groups.

Have fun! This is a great little caliber and is a joy to shoot.
Old January 29, 2011, 11:47 PM   #8
hammie

I agree with everything posted. The problem you will have with the 40 grain v-max is the long bullet ogive and the short ruger magazine. In order to get them to fit in your magazine, you will have to seat them so deeply that they will look like a ICBM buried in a missle silo. Plus, the now protruding edge of the case will sometimes hang up going into the chamber. I got tired of that and switched to a 35 grain hornady v-max. The downside is that the hornady 35 grain bullet has a much worse ballistic coeffficient and it sheds velocity pretty quickly. However, I don't see that as a problem, because, to me, the hornet is a short range (100-150 yd) cartridge. If I need to reach out further, I have a .221 fireball, a .223 remington, a .204 ruger, or a .220 swift.

As for 35/33 grain bullet loads, I use 2400 and a small pistol primer. When I load the 40 grain v-max for my low wall, then I use accurate arms 1680 and a small pistol primer.
Old January 30, 2011, 11:49 AM   #9
ddixon

I have a Ruger 77/22 Hornet All Weather and have been very impressed with LilGun combined with the 40 gr. V-max. 13.3 gr LG and the Vmax seated to an OAL of 1.805. Cycles fine through the Ruger magazine, accuracy about 0.5 MOA at 100 yrds (some 5 shot groups a little over 0.5 inch some a little under) MV 2785 fps. The SAAMI chamber spec for the 22 Hornet doesn't include any freebore so the 40 gr. Vmax seated for an OAL of 1.805 is actually only has about 0.020 jump to the rifling in my rifle.

I don't crimp the bullets in my reloads and just run the fired cases far enought in the FL sizing die to size 0.24 inches of the case neck. To get 13.3 grs of LilGun in a hornet case takes a drop tube and funnels and drop tubes that work fine for a 223 or 22/250 with the thin neck walls of the Hornet may allow the case to slip through the funnel throat.