The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 1, 2020, 09:27 AM   #1
Auto5

Wearing pearls

After a reporter asked General Patton about his "pearl handled pistols", he responded: "They're ivory. Only a pimp from a cheap New Orleans whorehouse would carry a pearl handled pistol." Or words to that effect.

Well...

From left to right:

FN 1910/55 engraved and wearing pearlite grips from Altamont.

Bauer stainless baby Browning copy, grips came standard.

Pre Model 42 Centennial Airweight sporting vintage Jay Scott pearl grips.

Show 'em!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191229_113359[14791]a.jpg (91.3 KB, 256 views)
Old January 1, 2020, 11:41 AM   #2
buck460XVR

I myself see nuttin' much different between Pearl Grips and Ivory. Neither is my choice, but unlike Patton, I don't feel the need to dis the choice others to justify my choice. Nice looking brace of handguns.
Old January 1, 2020, 12:57 PM   #3
lunger

Never been a fan, but have to say they do classy on your group.
Old January 1, 2020, 01:33 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

I have a bunch of them!
Patton was quite the ass. REAL mother of pearl is one of the most beautiful natural materials.
Even the fake pearl is very pretty.
Old January 1, 2020, 02:10 PM   #5
Pahoo

Very pretty; However ???

Auto5
In looking for a question in your post, I'd guess that you are asking for opinions, on Pearl Grips.

Quote:
REAL mother of pearl is one of the most beautiful natural materials.
Even the fake pearl is very pretty.
It surely is !!!

Quote:
I myself see nuttin' much different between Pearl Grips and Ivory.
Big difference, physically and I work with both and Pearl is very fragile and hard to work with, as compared to Ivory or bone. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old January 1, 2020, 02:48 PM   #6
LeverGunFan

Dare we ask which New Orleans establishment you work for?
Old January 1, 2020, 08:43 PM   #7
Auto5

LOL! Post your pictures!
Old January 1, 2020, 08:58 PM   #8
jar

I do like your 1910 and your Centennial is certainly better dressed than mine are..
Old January 1, 2020, 11:08 PM   #9
EIGHTYDUECE

I also like them on some handguns, especially stainless. These are faux pearl from Ajax I think.

"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart"- ASH
Old January 2, 2020, 03:26 AM   #10
Bill DeShivs

Here are a few.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4221.JPG (53.4 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2864.JPG (49.0 KB, 83 views)
Old January 2, 2020, 03:42 PM   #11
dgludwig

I think context is everything when it comes to where (subjectively) pearl looks best on a handgun. For instance, there are several pistols pictured in this thread where I think pearl shows off and compliments the looks of the gun. But there are times and places when and where pearl grips would be a turnoff for me, to include, for instances, on most pistols being used in target competition (i.e., Bullseye matches); on most pistols issued to the military having matte or "parkerized" finishes and on most handguns being carried openly by the police (i.e., Glocks and their ilk). Just my wholly subjective opinion.
Old January 3, 2020, 06:43 PM   #12
Carmady

Not mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S&W.JPG (209.9 KB, 78 views)
Old January 4, 2020, 03:00 PM   #13
T. O'Heir

"...feel the need to dis the choice others..." Georgie was a a rich kid with delusions. He also decided the M4 Sherman, AKA The Ronson, was good enough and that the Allies didn't need a tank that could tangle with the Panzer V's and VI's without bursting into flames after taking one hit. Despite there being one already designed and ready for production.
However, there's a huge difference between ivory and pearl. Ivory ages to a nice yellow. Pearl is kind of girly looking.
Old January 5, 2020, 06:46 PM   #14
Carmady

Pimp gun or not, I like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baby Browning.jpg (162.9 KB, 62 views)
Old January 5, 2020, 07:16 PM   #15
labnoti

Patton understandably did not want his aesthetic to be confused, but an adulterer himself, he hardly had the moral standing to degrade pimps as inferior.

Ivory and pearl can both be aesthetically pleasing, but the ivory trade has always been morally abhorrent. Ivory can be morally sourced but not in vast quantities, and most grips today are made of substitutes. Pearl, actually mother of pearl or nacre is more suitable for inlay details or panels than it is for big handles like revolver stocks, but the aesthetic can also be imitated with resin.

For practical reasons, my guns have wood stocks. But I do like bone, antler (stag), and abalone knife scales.
Old January 6, 2020, 08:55 AM   #16
AgedWarrior

Never considered pearl or ivory as useful or practical. My guns are tools, not decorations. Of course this is just how I see it; my opinion.

I rather value men like Patton too, though he was not perfect, he was not afraid to speak his mind to the living; even standing nose to nose. He was spot on with his remarks about the communists though violating official political butt kissing in that day.

It is pretty easy to badmouth someone who is dead, especially on the internet where you don’t have to look anyone in the eye.
Old January 6, 2020, 11:23 AM   #17
Pahoo

Now that is Beautiful

Carmady
Not exactly sure where it is written but; "There is a time and place for everything" ….

Your reply is the time and what a beautiful example of the application of real Pearl. Only way this would look any better, would be under a Garter-Belt. …

Be Safe !!!
Old January 6, 2020, 06:47 PM   #18
Bill DeShivs

Unfortunately, the grips on the little Renaissance Browning are not real pearl, they're plastic.
Real mother of pearl has a prismatic quality that reflects all the colors of the rainbow. Plastic, while very pretty, can not do that.
Old January 6, 2020, 07:02 PM   #19
gwpercle

The first thing I did after buying my very first handgun , Ruger Blackhawk in 1970, was replace the walnut grips with Jay Scott Genuine Plastic Imitation White Pearl Grips...
I thought they looked sooooooo cool ... with my quick draw carved leather gunslinger holster and belt..
What was I thinking ... that outfit was so Hollywood cheesy and impractical it wasn't even funny . Glad I'm over that now .
Gary
Old January 6, 2020, 07:35 PM   #20
dgludwig

Equally "cheesy" imo, are fake, plastic "stag" grips; the kind found on the revolvers of more than a few uniformed police officers patrolling the streets in the late fifties and early sixties. I thought they looked so cool back then-when I was a 16 year old kid.
Old January 6, 2020, 08:44 PM   #21
Auto5

Is it wrong for me to think about engraving my Bauer to look like that Baby Browning that Carmady posted?

For the record, none of the grips on my guns are real mother of pearl, and none of my "ivory" grips are real ivory.
Old January 7, 2020, 12:55 AM   #22
Bill DeShivs

Auto 5- no it's not wrong, but can you do it?
Bauer actually offered a Renaissance-engraved pistol.
You could even order your own serial number.
Old January 9, 2020, 09:54 PM   #23
zoo

I wouldn't take George Patton's views on pearl grips too seriously. I think occasionally Georgie sometimes over compensated for his having a high pitched frilly voice and took out his frustration on subordinates, pistol/revolver grips, and pimps for not somehow meeting up to his expectations.

Me? Pearl grips sure are pretty but seem too fragile. I'll settle for no less than Mammoth ivory! Ain't nobody going to be able to accuse me of poaching for the grips either considering they've been dead for a few thousand years!

Great General, by the way. Assuming you don't mind the kill em unarmed in their pajamas kind of perspective!
Old January 9, 2020, 10:49 PM   #24
EIGHTYDUECE

My favorite George Patton quote:

"It's not your job to die for your country, it's your job to make the other dumb son-of-a-bitch die for his!"

"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart"- ASH
Old January 9, 2020, 11:31 PM   #25
zoo

Eiddy-do, you HAVE seen the movie haven't you? Lots of "more better" quotes!

And I'm not so certain I would give little georgie-lucifer all the credit on the "die for your country" quote.

It is sort of common sense that one would rather their opponent died for their cause rather than they dying for their own.

Last edited by zoo; January 9, 2020 at 11:37 PM.