The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 2, 2014, 06:25 PM   #1
Skitt

Ruger SR1911 CMD extractor

Since the first shot with my new SR1911, every case ejected had a big ding in the case mouth. It was suggested elsewhere on TFL that I have the extractor tuned.
My question is, is that something I can do myself? Or should I bring it to a Smith? Or does anyone else have any knowledge of this problem?
I reload and I'm just concerned that the case is damaged to the point of getting it stuck in my press or worse. Any thoughts?
Old February 2, 2014, 09:42 PM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

I don;t think the extractor would cause a ding in the mouth of the spent case (hollow end). That sounds like something else damaging it, as if the extractor is pilling the case out, and the ejector is throwing the case out correctly, it's most definitely something else. The only possible scenario would be the ejector trying to throw the case out before it leaves the chamber, or possibly hitting the ejection port of the slide.
Old February 3, 2014, 12:48 PM   #3
Skitt

After talking to a few guys at my LGS, they say the same thing as you. Is there any way to remedy this issue?
Old February 3, 2014, 02:02 PM   #4
DenverGP

My father in law's new SR1911 had the same issue. We adjusted the extractor tension, and it stopped denting the cases, and was ejecting the cases much smoother, all of them ending up in almost the exact same spot a few feet to the back/left. Before we adjusted it, the cases were ejected much more randomly. He also had occasional FTE issues. If it was just the cases getting dented, we probably wouldn't have messed with it.

The issue is that the extractor is holding the case too tight, so it ejects it a little further back on the recoil, and then smacks off the port. A little looser tension on the extractor, and the case starts coming out as soon as it hits the ejector.

A gun smith also suggested checking to make sure the firing pin stop isn't loose, allowing the extractor to turn. That can cause strange ejection issues as well.

This link describes the process we used:
http://blog.wilsoncombat.com/uncateg...-on-your-1911/

We did not re-shape the extractor at all, just did the tension adjustments by slightly bending it.

Last edited by DenverGP; February 3, 2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old February 4, 2014, 07:34 AM   #5
Skitt

Thanks a bunch, Denver! That did it! I love it when a plan comes together
Old February 5, 2014, 01:35 PM   #6
DenverGP

Glad it got you fixed up. I just got my first 1911 a couple months back, and I'm loving it. And it's fun to learn how to tune/tweak them. Tons of info out there in the 1911.