The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 4, 2012, 06:11 PM   #1
Nick9130White

Waterfowl questions.

So I've got a couple questions,

First, are sunglasses OK in the blind? Will it scare the ducks because its reflective? The sun was killin me Sunday morning, and I didn't wanna bring the sun glasses to scare em away.

And second, the water was glass, no movement. What could I use to make some movements on a budget. All my cash goes to gas and ammo haha.

Oh and bug repellant wasn't cutting it. The Mosquitos were killin me, what could I use to get rid of em?
Old November 4, 2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If the brim of your cap or hat keeps direct sun off the glasses, no reflection from them.

If you're using decoys and the still water doesn't have them bobbing, I guess that about all you could do is run strings from them on which you could pull to give the appearance of natural motion.

I've found that the Deep Woods Off does okay on Georgia river-bottom mosquitos.
Old November 4, 2012, 06:39 PM   #3
SPEMack618

Deep Woods off is some good stuff.

Also, long sleeves are a must, and gloves.

Also, be mindful of the soaps and shampoos you use whilst hunting. If hunting by yourself, or with like minded individuals, forego showering with scented soap and shampoos before a hunt(plain Dial soap is great for rplling ticks) and don't wear any sort of deoderant before going into a blind, it will make you less attractive to bugs.
Old November 4, 2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Mosquitos in a blind?

Thermacell.
Old November 4, 2012, 08:52 PM   #5
Rebel9793

Thermacell x3 best $20 ever spent on hunting equipment.
Old November 6, 2012, 09:55 PM   #6
12GaugeShuggoth

I use an OFF! clip-on fan thing that works pretty good when the tiger skeeters are biting, at first I thought the sound of it might spook the deer but I've had them walk right under me without even a glance. It's a must-have during archery season for me. I can watch and see a little wall of mosquitoes flying around me........... nasty SOB's.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old November 11, 2012, 09:34 PM   #7
publius

Sunglasses (can) reflect light and scare birds if the sun is right. I don't worry about it and wear them. Run some decoy line to one or two decoys to your bling so you can jerk on them to create some movement. Thermocell.
Old November 11, 2012, 10:01 PM   #8
grubbylabs

I agree with publius. Plus you should never look at the ducks when they are circling and they can see you. Wait till they are looking away from you. As avid Archery hunter I strongly believe that the only time camo is critical is while bird hunting. Especially water foul. Those little buggers can see though any thing.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old November 12, 2012, 10:42 AM   #9
TJH3781

I have hunted Ducks & Geese for 30+ years and do not believe that either see colors. They will react to movement & flashes, but are more likely to be looking at your decoys than your blind or pit. As an example, one of the guides where I hunt wears a blue hoodie & his pit has not been cleaned in years; there are more Green, Red, & Yellow hulls around it than you see at most ranges after a contest. I have hunted with him & he gets the birds in no matter what. There have been times when it took longer to get to the pit than it did for three (3) hunters to limit out!

Actually, sun glasses are probably not the right ones to wear while hunting;they are for comfort, not protection if things go bad. Yellow tinted Safety Glasses are probably the best solution for glare while waterfowling. Plus, they are available in your RX if needed.
Old November 17, 2012, 05:36 PM   #10
Major Dave (retired)

Last week, while deer hunting,

I was about 20 feet off the ground sitting in a self-climber, when the skeeters found me.

I took off my camo headnet, sprayed it down with "No More Stinking Bugs", put it back on, and enjoyed the rest of the day - with no more stinking bugs.

NMSB is sold as a hunting accessory in the "scent free" area of stores like Cabela's, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, Academy, etc.

Works for me.
Old January 1, 2013, 11:02 PM   #11
Nick9130White

Thanks for the replys, and I wear sunglasses and I used a jerk cord on the glass days.

Finally shot my first duck, and his hen!

I shot a widgen/pintail hybrid and a hen wideon circling back around.

Oh and I got a thermacell and of course, no more Mosquitos haha

Last edited by Nick9130White; January 1, 2013 at 11:24 PM.