The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 5, 2010, 05:05 PM   #1
armoredman

How to eat crow - by doing a review.

Odd title? Odd experiance. Let me clarify....

Some time ago I decided I wanted a pocket holster for my Taurus 850 CIA Ultralight, since it was proving itself a great BUG. I was told that Robert Mika, http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/pocket.htm was the one to get a good inexpensive pocket holster. Alright, the price was reasonable, less than $30, so I placed an order.
And waited...and waited...and sent an e-mail about 4 months later asking where it was? Turn out I had not fully filled out the order form, so I gave him the rest of the info, and he said I would have it by the end of the week. So I did...and waited, and waited. Now, in ALL fairness, Mr Mika had recently update his website with a warning holster production was slowed due to backorders. But, after waiting what I felt was too long beyond delivery date, I asked for my money back, and was prompty refunded. Then I went to the next name on the list, and ordered a nice semi-expensive pocket rig from a well known manufacturer, a pocket holster that left a LOT to be desired. While waiting to figure out if this little gem was just going to go naked in the pocket from now on, I recieved an e-mail - "Robert Mika has sent you a package."
Huh?
He did. With no demand for payment, I must add. Here it is with the Taurus inside.

Doesn't look flashy, fancy, or expensive, as seen here next to that other name brand rig that so disappointed me,

The sidearm fits perfectly, and shown here, it works well with the uniform pants, slides in easy,

and makes the same bulge my wallet did.

It is soft, comfortable, and the grabber ring around the rig ensures it stays right where it is during draw. It keeps the butt right where my hand finds it naturally, and allows for unobtrusive grasping of the sidearm if need be. The grabber ring also aids in one handed reholstering with these pants, and I will be trying it in my favorite carpenters jeans this weekend.
If you are looking for a revolver pocket holster, give Mika a try, and be a bit more patient than I was.

So how does one eat crow? With a dash of salt, and a sprinkling of pictures, on several gun forums to show that yes, Virginia, there is a good pocket rig.
Old January 5, 2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Uncle H

"So how does one eat crow?"

I usually throw 'em on the grill & baste 'em with John Boy & Billy Grillin' Sauce just before they're done.
Old January 5, 2010, 07:54 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredman
So how does one eat crow? With a dash of salt, and a sprinkling of pictures, on several gun forums to show that yes, Virginia, there is a good pocket rig.

I'd eat crow by sending the man the money for the holster. I'm not saying that you're wrong if you don't, but I'd pay the guy.
Old January 5, 2010, 07:59 PM   #4
sserdlihc

^^^^I agree with that^^^^

Send the man a check.
Old January 5, 2010, 08:15 PM   #5
Lavid2002

pay em
Old January 5, 2010, 08:21 PM   #6
armoredman

I fully intend to.
Old January 7, 2010, 05:31 AM   #7
armoredman

Done. Still gonna tell people about it, though.