The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2006, 02:43 PM   #1
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Name Your CHRONOGRAPH ... what works for you???

I ordered a new CED Millennium Chronograph System and it was Out of Stock. Now I want to ask around ( the kart before the horse ) and see what is popular with you.

I had set my limits at $200 tops....delivered... ready to go. I know I can do much better than that for my needs. I don't want the cheepest entry level unit unless I hear some great reviews from you guys. The CED Millennium Chronograph System was $160 delivered. Is that a good unit and a good price?

My needs are for a dependible, portable and consistant for handgun (some rifle and shotgun) reloads and safety. I don't think I really need a printer or other options, but I will listen to what you have to say and go from there.

One requirement (I think) is to have a remote power head with the brains and readout screen away from the bullet path. I hear they are not bullet proof!.......... ................... :barf:>>>**>>>>>>

I can still get the CED Millennium by waiting a few days. I am not in a hurry, but I had another order to send in and wanted to get it all together. Now being it was out of stock, I want to take a few more days to research.

Toss me your thoughts and ideas........Thanks for any suggestions.
Old February 19, 2006, 03:35 PM   #2
Wrangler5

You can get a Shooting Chrony Gamma Master (remote readout and printer included) for under $200 from Midway. Shipping may put you just over your limit, but if you've never used a chrono before you won't remember or care what you paid for it after you've used it a couple of times. FWIW, I couldn't imagine the nuisance of writing down all the data as you shoot it, and now that I have a chrono with a printer I would never have one without a printer. On the Chrony, the control head buttons are duplicated on the printer, making it easy to review results (on tape) and control the unit just by having the printer within reach of your fingers and the focal range of your eyes (as you get old you'll start to think like that )

Be aware that the Chrony operating controls are not the most intuitive, so unless and until you've used it a LOT you'll want to keep the manual with you. Don't know if any of the other brands are any better in this regard.
Old February 20, 2006, 10:52 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

mine

PACT One, for some years.

Get to compare it against 'USPSA Match chrono-n-ammo'.
Works good; no printer, etc.
Old February 20, 2006, 10:54 AM   #4
Ruger4570

I agree with Wrangler, especially about keeping the instructions nearby. But it works fine and I am happy with it
Old February 20, 2006, 11:12 AM   #5
zeisloft

Out of your listed price range but...Ohler 35 is wonderful. If you are "serious" about reloading for accuracy, go ahead and get the printer. It is a great tool for the log books. I tape the chrono print out to my target and place in my log books with a list of conditions and load data. I keep a book for each rifle. I may get a little out there in my loading, but ask me about a bullet/ powder combo, and if I tested it, I can give you my data, in alot of detail, and show you the target to back it up. Sorry, I'm getting carried away here.

Ohler, with printer, skip lunch
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old February 20, 2006, 12:24 PM   #6
Robert M Boren Sr

I have the Master Gamma. Great machine. I bought the F1 a long time ago. First round through it was through the sensor dead center. Then bought a beta and used that for years, I chronied my arrows, rifles, pistols, you name it I ran it through it. Then I just decided to upgrade and flat out bought the Gamma master. I love having the ballistic printer, after the 10 shot string, you can staple the printout to the target and you have all your info right there. It works and will make a lier out of ya, .
Old February 20, 2006, 03:10 PM   #7

I had an Oehler 33 for years until a buddy of mine's kid stole it. After much looking I replaced it with an Oehler 35p. It's awesome!! If you want one you'll need to do some looking as Oehler has discontinued them (they told me it was because of problems with the printers). Oehler will still provide warranty service and replacement parts so no worries there.
Old February 20, 2006, 03:37 PM   #8
zeisloft

2400, when did this happen? I have had mine for 3yrs now, no problems. Any detail as to the printer problem?
~z

Old February 20, 2006, 05:15 PM   #9

It was either late Dec or early Jan, when I saw the announcement on their web site, I called to see what was up. They said they were having problems with the printers and were discontinueing production until the could get things fixed. They said I could call back every so often to see if they were back in production yet. They also gave me a few leads on who might have some units left in stock. I got lucky and found mine on Ebay, NIB w/4' rail and 3 screens. I got a few spare parts from Oehler with no problems. Here is the link to the 35p page. http://www.oehler-research.com/model35.html
Old February 20, 2006, 05:47 PM   #10
zeisloft

2400, thanks, I guess it is a temporary thing. Next up 35P+P?
~z

Old February 20, 2006, 08:19 PM   #11
Yuriens

Oehler 35p is a thing of beauty,

Just waiting on mine to come back from Oehler. It threw itself in front of a 300 Ultra Mag in an attempt to save a dirtpile from further lead contamination.

Mike
Old February 20, 2006, 11:19 PM   #12
Swamp_Fox

I use a CED and think it will do what you want.
I had to get a 9 pin to USB adapter (about $20.00 at Walmart) to download to my computer. Older computers won't need this.
The large readout on the bench is a plus.
Get the carrying case.
Get a sturdy tripod.
Old February 20, 2006, 11:42 PM   #13
rwilson452

Shooting Chrony

A Shooting Chrony Beta Master plus printer should get you close to your price mark. The beta has most of the stuff the Gamma does but less memory. Should you decide you really need a gamma later they have a reasonable upgrade fees. Maybe all you need is the Alpha master Go to their web sight and check out the manuals online decide what stuff you need and you will know what to get.

The master series is the one that has the "brain" separate from the box with the screens.

http://www.shootingchrony.com/
Old February 21, 2006, 05:50 PM   #14
Rico567

I've used the PACT Model 1 for several years with no problems.

- Mark Twain
Old February 21, 2006, 06:49 PM   #15
loggerhead

Location: Right of the Mississippi but South of the Mason Dixie line
Quote:
I'm new in the crono business, old in the shooting business. In the past I have taken the data from the reloading manuels and assumed it was accurate, always knowing it might be slightly off with my load, and calculating the velocities. Recently I obtained a SpeedTech crono from my granddaughters husband which he used to tune archery equipment. It did not work and he told me I could have it if I wanted it. I fixed it and it seems to work ok, I have not shot any thing faster than a CCI .22lrhp through it and it measured 1219 which is about right.
The "arms" holding up the sky screens are heavy aluminum about 0.040 inch thick and 3 inches wide. The area through which the projectile passes is approximately 10 inches at top, 4 inches bottom and 12 inches high. Hope I can shoot through that at 2-5 yards.
Anyone have info on this crono??
Anyone familiar with this crono??