The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 24, 2020, 08:05 AM   #26
reloder56

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondhgraham View Post
"...or at least a CZ 512. "

Unfortunately, CZ has discontinued all versions of the 512 in .22 LR.

There are still some new/old stock out there,,,
But if someone wants one,,,
They better hurry.

Aarond

What is CZ's reason for dropping the Model 512 from their line? CZ's marketing strategy baffles me. First they end production of the 452, then they drop production of all left hand rimfire bolt guns and now they drop the only .22LR semi auto from their line. Is CZ purposely trying to loose market share?
Gary
Old September 24, 2020, 08:46 AM   #27
ms6852

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondhgraham View Post
"...or at least a CZ 512. "

Unfortunately, CZ has discontinued all versions of the 512 in .22 LR.

There are still some new/old stock out there,,,
But if someone wants one,,,
They better hurry.

Aarond

Wow did not know this. Does it include the 22 magnum as well?
Old September 24, 2020, 08:57 AM   #28
jar

I like and have liked 22s for over a half century and in fact sold off all of my rifles except the 22s. I prefer wood over plastic and my old 22s seem to outshoot the newer 22s but that may simply be a matter of personal comfort. I prefer tube fed over magazine but own about equal numbers of each.

Of the ones I own my Takedown 10/22 is the least enjoyable of the lot but it is cute. It's okay, no real issues with it but it simply has absolutely no personality. Honestly I find the Rossi RB22 bolt action far more enjoyable than the 10/22.

Old September 24, 2020, 09:27 AM   #29
aarondhgraham

"What is CZ's reason for dropping the Model 512 from their line? CZ's marketing strategy baffles me. First they end production of the 452, then they drop production of all left hand rimfire bolt guns and now they drop the only .22LR semi auto from their line. Is CZ purposely trying to loose market share?
Gary"

I have no idea why they dropped all three versions of the .22 LR model,,,
One could assume they weren't selling enough of them.

Aarond's Law #1 says: Any time you start a sentence with the word "why",,,
Stop right there and answer, "Money".

You'll be right 99% of the time.

"Wow did not know this. Does it include the 22 magnum as well?"

They did not discontinue the .22 Magnum model,,,
It's still listed on their website.
Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 24, 2020, 09:35 AM   #30
pete2

The Ruger Deluxe Sporter has a walnut stock and really looks good, it's pricier than the plain carbine but worth the difference if you want something nice. The 10/22 is a great gun(at least my 4 are). It does need a trigger job tho, stock trigger is just too heavy for accurate shooting. You can DIY or get a BX trigger and just drop it in. There are better triggers than the BX but you get it for about 60.00 and just drop it in and go shooting.
Old September 24, 2020, 09:36 AM   #31
PolarFBear

There is a Rugger 10/22 advertised in today's paper; used, %599! I think I paid 189 for mine, new, 5 years ago. It's an OK firearm but I prefer a bolt action. Once saw an ad in Guns and Ammo for a "dress up" kit for a 10/22. Made it look like a German Stergever(sp). THAT would be interesting but havn't seen the add in years.
Old September 24, 2020, 03:55 PM   #32
Txhillbilly

My 3 favorite semi-auto 22's are my 1970's vintage Westernfield/Marlin 60, and Remington 552 Speedmaster. My Ruger 10/22 T is also pretty darn accurate.
Old September 26, 2020, 06:32 AM   #33
hodaka

The best one, if you can find one, is a Winchester 63. A Remington Speedmaster is not bad either. Bet you will end up with a Ruger.
Old September 26, 2020, 10:39 AM   #34
Pahoo

Just a thought !!!

Quote:
My use will be small animal hunting and home defense if necessary.
In one of my previous replies, I mentioned that you really need to compare features. The OP mentions hunting use. Awhile back, I bought a CZ and got it all set up for the Squirrel hunting season. I could bust aspirins off the bench at 50YDS. Shot great off the bench but it did not like my woods as I hunt in areas full of Multifloralrose. It was not as handy as my 10/22. ........

If you look at reply #28, you see a good comparison on barrel length and you can see that the 10/22 is handier, in deep woods and possibly, your home space.

Be Safe !!!
Old September 26, 2020, 11:20 AM   #35
pete2

I have 4 10/22s, Win, CZ, Mossy bolt guns, henry lever and pump. The pump is newest and gets shot quite a bit right now cause it's new, otherwise it's a 10/22 carbine with a red dot or peep sight. I'm more in to off hand plinking at paper targets as well as busting up clays on the ground and then shoot the chips til gone. I tire of bench shooting pretty fast once a rifle is dialed in. The CMP 22 Sporter match is fun if you can find one. The 10/22 is plenty accurate to ace it if you're up to it. I did find old walnut carbine stocks to put on the two std carbines I bought. I don't like the beech or birch they use on them.
Old September 26, 2020, 01:53 PM   #36
COSteve

While I have 2ea Ruger 10/22s I bought for my wife and I when we got married in 1973, I don't think that's what I'd suggest for the OP. He specifically said that he wants, "...a .22 semi-auto rifle traditional style with wood stocks." and I'd have to go with a Marlin Model 60.

I have 5ea .22 rifles including the 2 10/22s and my 1979 Model 60 I got NIB is by far my favorite for plinking, squirrel busting, and generally having fun with. I feel it's an all around better choice than my 10/22s for a traditional .22 rifle. Better feel. Better stock trigger. Better accuracy.

Many 'tacticool' types will argue that the 10/22 can be accessorized with more stuff, be customized with more upgrades, be more personalized which is true. But, I don't want any of that for my .22 plinker and the OP, by his description, doesn't appear to either.

I just added a Bushnell .22 Varmint Scope and a sling, keep it clean and lubed and just enjoy a day in the woods plinking with it.

Simple, reliable, accurate, and classic styling.

Old September 26, 2020, 03:55 PM   #37
Drm50

Ruger 10/22, older the better.
Old September 26, 2020, 04:11 PM   #38
mikejonestkd

I have a 10 year old ruger deluxe sporter 10/22 and it is nicely made, and the stock is decent walnut. I put in a few Kidd parts and it shoots very well.
Old September 26, 2020, 06:09 PM   #39
jar

The Rossi (Mossberg 702 is the the same gun imported from Brazil) RB22 (bolt) and RS22 (semi) are even shorter overall and I find they feel better and have been more accurate than my 10/22. The Rossi RB22 is in the far right of that picture and fits totally under the upper rack.

Last edited by jar; September 26, 2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old September 27, 2020, 06:04 AM   #40
Nathan

Quote:
What is CZ's reason for dropping the Model 512 from their line? CZ's marketing strategy baffles me. First they end production of the 452, then they drop production of all left hand rimfire bolt guns and now they drop the only .22LR semi auto from their line. Is CZ purposely trying to loose market share?
Gary
Let me know if you figure it all out! I’m pissed at them too for eliminating the CZ550 and CZ550 magnum rifles. Did they not witness the Winchester pre64 crf to post 64 push feed debacle?
Old September 27, 2020, 03:23 PM   #41
410guy

I would go with the Henry 22Lr classic. Yes its a lever action, but can still be shot fast. It runs around $300. Unlike the semi-autos. the Henry will handle 22 shorts, longs and long rifles.
Old October 9, 2020, 05:57 PM   #42
Onward Allusion

Quote:
The Rossi (Mossberg 702 is the the same gun imported from Brazil) RB22 (bolt) and RS22 (semi) are even shorter overall and I find they feel better and have been more accurate than my 10/22. The Rossi RB22 is in the far right of that picture and fits totally under the upper rack.
After seeing the picture and looking up the price, I got one for the hell of it. Got it for $116 plus FFL transfer from the Kentucky Gun Co. Took it to the club today. Shot it off-hand at 25 yards. Ran about 100 rounds out of it. It was really windy today but still managed to hit the 6" target consistently even though my body was swaying in the wind. It is so light - 4lbs. The sights are great. Glows in the sun. Unusual find for such an inexpensive bolt action.
Old October 9, 2020, 06:42 PM   #43
Prof Young

I vote with the . . .

I vote with the Ruger 10/22 guys. I've had one for about ten years and it has always run flawlessly save for bad ammo.

And you might wanna look a the Henry in 22 LR. There's just something about the lever action that adds to the fun.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old October 9, 2020, 08:38 PM   #44
jmr40

A 10/22 can be anything you want it to be and I know of nothing more reliable and rugged. They can be as accurate as anything out there, but I'll admit sometimes you get unlucky. They do make some that won't shoot.

Ruger shows about 50-60 different versions of the 10/22 on their website so you don't have to be stuck with the standard carbine, which is my least favorite.

https://ruger.com/products/1022/overview.html

I picked up one of these for $180 a few months ago. I much prefer not to have iron sights that just get in the way and not having the barrel band is a plus. As are sling attachment points. I set it up for my wife with a 1-4X scope and a mounted light for her to use with 25 round magazines.

https://ruger.com/products/1022Carbi...ets/31145.html

Unfortunately was a 2-3 MOA rifle. But still OK for its intended purposes. It would keep all shots inside a coke can at 50 or a paper plate at 100. But I wasn't satisfied and had to tinker. Found this for $100.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003701841?pid=990883

I now have $280 in the rifle, but it will break clay targets at 200 yards.

They've discontinued it now, but I have one of these. It will hit clay targets at 200 yards out of the box.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...s_id/411540174

Winston Churchill
Old October 9, 2020, 09:59 PM   #45
shurshot

410guy nailed it... Henry .22 lever... VERY fast shooter, handles everything from shorts to hyper LR and is fun to operate.
Old October 9, 2020, 10:39 PM   #46
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410guy
I would go with the Henry 22Lr classic. Yes its a lever action, but can still be shot fast. It runs around $300. Unlike the semi-autos. the Henry will handle 22 shorts, longs and long rifles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot
410guy nailed it... Henry .22 lever... VERY fast shooter, handles everything from shorts to hyper LR and is fun to operate.
But the OP specifically asked for recommendations for a semi-auto.

Please help me understand: WHY do you bother making a recommendation for something that the OP does not want?
Jeepaholic
Old October 10, 2020, 10:07 AM   #47
Pahoo

An answer to a question that wasn't asked !!!

Quote:
Please help me understand: WHY do you bother making a recommendation for something that the OP does not want?
My sentiments exactly and quite often, I have to go back and review the original post. Happens all the time and usually not a problem. .......

Be Sade !!!
Old October 10, 2020, 03:48 PM   #48
shurshot

["B]Please help me understand: WHY do you bother making a recommendation for something that the OP does not want?"[/B]

My bad. Yes, I saw the OP asked about semiautomatics. I can read. Didn't see where the OP stated he wasn't open to other .22 action types, hence the suggestion. My apologies to the OP if you are as offended as some others on here appear to be at my suggestion to consider a lever action. God forbid we get too far off topic.

Semiautomatic .22? Marlin 60 worked well for me in the 80's. If got dirty, pulled the action, soaked it in Kerosene overnight, oiled it and she was good to go for another brick. Raccoon, squirrel, partridge, frogs... nothing was safe.
Old October 11, 2020, 08:35 AM   #49
Ricklin

My favorite

I'm a big fan of the little International carbine. Ruger did a run of those several years back for a distributor, they do one every now and again.

I just love the look and feel. the mannlicher stock is the cherry on top.
Old October 11, 2020, 09:12 AM   #50
zxcvbob

I really like my Browning, it just seems to point right where I want it to. The take-down feature is cool, you could carry it in a backpack. The only problem is loading it with the tube magazine in the back is awkward. If I shot it more often maybe I would get better at that. And they are pricey (I had a bunch of Cabela's Bucks to burn)