The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 29, 2010, 05:14 PM   #26
TylerD45ACP

It sucks waiting lol. I do the same but have my hand held video camera and my 1911 with 4 reloads 2 wilson combats loaded with Hornaday XTP +P 230gr. the other 2 S&W mags with 185gr. Remington Golden Sabers.
Old August 30, 2010, 03:56 AM   #27
dabigguns357

Quote:
got to get cameras but its going to be a little bit before I have the money
They don't cost that much,i bought mine one at a time from walmart for 49.00 a piece and if you can get lucky to find the the ones with a dual set of camera's they come with a 4 channel remote that picks up 2 extra camera's with the same frequency.Or if you just want something simple,buy a pin whole camera from ebay for 30.00 or so and mount it in your window facing out.You won't get audio but at least you will be able to see who's out there.

The best part of having camera's is if there is someone who you don't know or someone you don't want to talk to,you will be able to see them and won't have to answer the door.I've laid in bed and heard the door knock and didn't answer it(in-laws i didn't care for).

Getting camera's may save your life but they may also save your butt in court if something does go wrong,you have proof as to what really happened.No more needing to hear both sides of the story.
Old August 30, 2010, 05:52 AM   #28
dussandr

Consider adding cameras to those lights. I have a camera system overlooking my house and it's a simple matter to run the video through what goes on all day. Most days nothing happens but if something does I have it on tape. I don't care for the motion-activated recorders, so I let it run 24/7.

*my cameras were $45.00 each at Newegg and they're indoor/outdoor, RCA jack, and I run the video through old VCRs to monitors I bought used ($10 ea- old TVs)
Old August 30, 2010, 12:13 PM   #29
pgdion

A Weapon is the last choice of use in my area. I keep a gun ready in the house in case some one does try to break in some time. But the reality is the problem in my neighborhood is teenage kids going through cars looking for CD's and money or anything loose (one neighbor lost a camera). No actual break-ins even, just going through unlocked cars. Not something you want to shoot someone over. I carry the 4-D maglight in case of a scuffle.
Old August 30, 2010, 05:33 PM   #30
TylerD45ACP

Thanks for the posts guys. Yea I was going to go with more expensive equipment but thats a good idea dabigguns357. I need something for video against these punks. As for having the gun Im not waiting to ambush anyone or anything lol. I just keep it with me when looking for the culprits. You never know they could be nutty and try and shoot me. I am defintley going to add some camera as you guys have suggested.
Old September 2, 2010, 12:26 PM   #31
grubbylabs

Any one ever use or know any one who has used those CCTV systems they sell hat harbor freight. I would be interested in knowing just how crappy they are. If they kind work OK then I think they would not be all that bad.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old September 2, 2010, 12:49 PM   #32
pgdion

Most of the cheap CCTV systems are pretty crappy but will sort of work. Poor resolution and poor night vision though (usually). I'd invest in a better one. Menards has some nice systems from Swann (I think). MCM Electronics (online) sells lots of very good security stuff. I have SecuVission cameras on mine. Aluminum cased all weather dome cameras. Sony CCD's with 480 lines of resolution and built in IR LEDs. They are excellent, full color during the day and switch to B&W at night for better night vision. Long range even in pitch black. I got them through Amazon for a good price but you have to be careful. Very many cheap knock off dome cameras out there too. You'll want a decent monitor but the cameras are where you'll want to spend the money.
Old September 2, 2010, 01:24 PM   #33
Daugherty16

These are all good ideas but...

I'd rather have matching CIWS gattling guns mounted on either end of my roof gable, to complement the lights and cameras. At 30 rounds per second, they are a little noisy but very effective at deterring repeat offenders. Mostly because they are cut into small pieces by even the shortest burst (appropriately called a fusillade). Like having Robocop patrolling your yard.

Okay. seriously, a dog is one of the best acquisitions you'll ever make. You get love and devotion, an automatic food spill clean up service, and a built in alarm and personal defense system. Even a little mutt can make a heck of a lot of noise. Lights, cameras, electric fences; if these are necessary you might consider moving to a safer location where you can enjoy the sounds of the night instead of monitoring them.

Still, the S can HTF no matter where you live. know your laws. Property crimes in most jurisdictions are not going to justify use of lethal force. But the use of a 140 pound dog is probably still legal. Just make sure the cameras are rolling...
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old September 6, 2010, 01:46 PM   #34
TylerD45ACP

I wish I could install a couple CWIS units on my house lol. I think the 20mm might wreck everything in the surrounding area though .
Old September 6, 2010, 03:21 PM   #35
brickeyee

A motion activated sprinkler is legal and a great surprise for folks wandering where they should not be.
Old September 7, 2010, 06:03 PM   #36
Spencer R.

Motion Lights

Again don't underestimate the motion sneso lights. Late at night when you are home and the light are off and the outside lights turn on, you will be able see out but they won't be able to see in.
Old September 7, 2010, 08:31 PM   #37
Win73

Quote:
I'm a bit paranoid
Just because you are paranoid does not mean they aren't out to get you!
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old September 9, 2010, 03:18 PM   #38
TylerD45ACP

Good point on a motion activation sprinkler, brickeye.
Win73 Quote:
I'm a bit paranoid

Just because you are paranoid does not mean they aren't out to get you!

--This is a very true statement even if its paranoid in itself.
---Motion sensing lights are a good idea as well Spencer R., they are well lit while you make sure you not backlit, good idea.
Old September 9, 2010, 04:04 PM   #39
oldone

Build a fence around your property. Anyone in your yard, it's up to you what you do.