The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 10, 2018, 01:16 PM   #26
SIGSHR

That big 45 ACP slug packs more wallop at low velocity than a 22.
40+ years ago a college buddy and I bought some of "those" books, went out in the woods in the Dark of the Evening...they all worked fine, as noted, they lack durability and are rather awkward. We discussed the potato silencer, never tried one, it seems you would have to bore a channel though one, otherwise it would obstruct the bore.
Old September 10, 2018, 02:41 PM   #27
MarkCO

To answer the OPs question, no, it is not true.

While you "can" get some suppression by various makeshift means, they won't be the same as an actual suppressor. Also realize that the ATF takes a very hard line on suppressor manufacture. There are things that you just don't want to mess with unless you have the proper license. SIG and the ATF have been fighting over nuances on their product for a while. Some "muzzle devices" change the sound signature enough that the ATF classifies those items as suppressors while no reasonable person would agree they significantly suppress sound.
Old September 10, 2018, 04:41 PM   #28
FrankenMauser

dogtown tom, I disagree with your arguments.
I'm still wrong, but it doesn't really matter.
I found an applicable case:
United States v. Webb (1995)
Webb was convicted of possession of unregistered firearms and firearms not identified by a serial number, based almost entirely on his intent to break the law by constructing a 'silencer' - not the actual material construction or viability of the devices. He was, however, given a reduced sentence, based on the material construction of the devices.

Devices in question?
Quote:
the defendant made two suppressors from “[o]ld toilet paper tubes and stuffing from some old stuffed animals.”
There's more on that case, and I think the link I provided is from an appeal. But further information isn't hard to find once you have the right case.
Old September 10, 2018, 06:09 PM   #29
dogtown tom

Quote:
FrankenMauser dogtown tom, I disagree with your arguments.
I'm still wrong, but it doesn't really matter.
You disagree....but admit you are wrong?
I'm puzzled to say the least.

Quote:
I found an applicable case:
United States v. Webb (1995)
Webb was convicted of possession of unregistered firearms and firearms not identified by a serial number, based almost entirely on his intent to break the law by constructing a 'silencer' - not the actual material construction or viability of the devices. He was, however, given a reduced sentence, based on the material construction of the devices.

Devices in question?

Quote:
the defendant made two suppressors from “[o]ld toilet paper tubes and stuffing from some old stuffed animals.”

There's more on that case, and I think the link I provided is from an appeal. But further information isn't hard to find once you have the right case.
Which has what to do with the OP?
"The geezer" claimed taping a cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels to the barrel of a 22LR gun and getting the same affect as an expensive suppressor"...….NO STUFFING. A simple cardboard tube taped to a firearm barrel will not likely do a darn thing.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old September 10, 2018, 07:18 PM   #30
ThomasT

Quote:
I would doubt it. If you were to make a oil filter suppressor and shoot a standard velocity 22 out of it you would still get a bunch of noise and the super sonic crack of the bullets. If you were to shoot a sub sonic round out of the same filter it would be much quieter. So I don't believe a cardboard tube will do anything. I would think the old geezer left his hearing aids at home when he tried the tube. I hope you realize that making a homemade suppressor would be unlawful, pretty sure it is a NFA item.
The oil filter suppressors work far better than you might think. I know someone who made one and they are very functional. Even from a handgun.
Old September 10, 2018, 07:37 PM   #31
ThomasT

I doubt the paper tube would work. Pressure will most likely rupture it. I tried firing a 22 pistol down a 12 foot long metal pipe to see if it would deaden the sound. It sounded like someone whacked the side of the pipe with a small hammer. So that didn't work.

I have shot a couple of suppressed guns and it was cool. For a while. One was a full auto Mac 11 with 30 round mag. I hated thumbing all those rounds in to see the mag emptied in just a couple of seconds. Anyway it satisfied my desire for a suppressed arm.

As mentioned a long barreled 22 rifle with the right ammo is pretty quiet. I have a Remington model 581(?) and a Marlin 39A and with standard, CB and shorts they are pretty silent with the 24" barrels they have.

I bought one of those oil filter adapters to actually use it as a gunk collector. When I got my only AR I decided to try it out to catch the cleaning stuff. I couldn't get the flash hider off so its unused. I paid over $30 for mine. Now you can get them on Ebay for less than $10.

Anyway if someday I ever end up with a 22 barrel that is threaded I may try it once. But if I do you will never hear about it here.
Old September 10, 2018, 08:58 PM   #32
FrankenMauser

Quote:
"The geezer" claimed taping a cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels to the barrel of a 22LR gun and getting the same affect as an expensive suppressor"...….NO STUFFING. A simple cardboard tube taped to a firearm barrel will not likely do a darn thing.
So you're arguing that some stuffed animal stuffing is really an important point, even though it's contained within a cardboard tube?

Are you just grasping for straws at this point, for the sake of argument? Or do you really believe that the stuffing somehow changes the structure of a cardboard tube, and makes it suddenly capable of holding up to the muzzle pressure of a firearm ... even though you don't believe that an empty tube will?
Old September 10, 2018, 09:27 PM   #33
Palidin TX

The tube will do little besides direct the sound away from the shooter. It won't do squat to lower the DB's.
Old September 11, 2018, 07:46 AM   #34
Fishbed77

Quote:
There is one legal way to make a firearm "quieter", from the standpoint of the shooter, without going through the NFA process. However is cannot be used to any practical degree, on a handgun...make the barrel longer...
Quote:
I know that .22 shorts fired in a long barrel like a Marlin 39A are fairly quiet, as are the subsonics.
Absolutely. If I fire CCI CB shorts through my 24-inch barrel Marlin 39A, the only sound you hear is the drop of the hammer. The CCI Quiet-22 .22LR rounds are very quiet as well.

It's extremely fun to shoot on steel, and the rounds are surprisingly accurate.
Old September 11, 2018, 10:53 AM   #35
dogtown tom

Quote:
FrankenMauser
Quote:
Quote:
So you're arguing that some stuffed animal stuffing is really an important point, even though it's contained within a cardboard tube?
No sir, I'm not arguing that....YOU brought a "stuffed animal stuffing" into the thread, no one else did.

AGAIN...….The geezer" "claimed taping a cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels to the barrel of a 22LR gun and getting the same affect as an expensive suppressor".

If you agree with that you know as little about silencers as the geezer.

Quote:
Are you just grasping for straws at this point, for the sake of argument? Or do you really believe that the stuffing somehow changes the structure of a cardboard tube, and makes it suddenly capable of holding up to the muzzle pressure of a firearm ... even though you don't believe that an empty tube will?
Not only have you lost the plot you don't know what book you are reading.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old September 11, 2018, 11:09 AM   #36
Mal H
Staff

And so we close the book on this one.
Closed Thread