The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 14, 2023, 08:16 AM   #1
DaleA

Credit Card Tracking on Hold

It appears the credit card companies are having second thoughts about implementing special codes for gun purchases. See the article here:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/smal...5d276ebe&ei=26

Maybe push back works?
Old March 14, 2023, 09:06 AM   #2
RickB

At the same time, there's a story that American Express, when asked by the FBI to turn over information on purchases made by people on FBI's radar regarding "January 6th", without being asked also turned over any historical gun purchases made by anyone on the list.
Old March 14, 2023, 11:11 AM   #3
Bob Willman

I signed on to my accounts for the credit cards that I hold. After finding the "Contact Us" option, I inquired about their intentions to implement the code for firearm purchases. I actually entered chat mode for one card and had a keyboard conversation with someone. Whether my efforts will have any impact I do not know, but it can't hurt and at least they know that I am watching.

Bob NRA Benefactor Golden Eagle Looking forward to Indianapolis
Old March 14, 2023, 03:42 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
there's a story that ......

As usual, the headlines and a lot of the reporting on this issue is misleading, and I suspect intentionally so....

Quote:
there's a story that American Express, when asked by the FBI to turn over information on purchases made by people on FBI's radar regarding "January 6th", without being asked also turned over any historical gun purchases made by anyone on the list.
And this is, I think, an example of that...

Let's look at all the possible "angles of spin" in just this one statement....
First point,

Did/does American Express (or any credit card company) have records of the individual items purchased with one of their cards???

My understanding is (and please, if I am incorrect, do enlighten me) that the credit card companies do not. The have a record of how much was charged at what location, and when. NOT what individual items were purchased.

Next point,
Quote:
without being asked also turned over any historical gun purchases made by anyone on the list.
If my first point is correct, the credit card companies DON'T KNOW what was purchased. If the FBI asked for ALL records of purchase during a given date range, what can the credit card company tell them other than $XXX was spent at XYZ store on a specific date???

Turning over that information would not specifically identify ANY gun purchase.

The entire matter is grossly misidentified in the headlines (and usually in the text, as well) because the proposed code ID does NOT cover firearm purchases specifically. It was to be a code for the ID of the RETAILER that sold guns, to ID them separately from "general retail" sales. It did not, and would not cover JUST gun purchases but everything sold at that retailer,

IN other words the credit card company might be able to tell the FBI that I spent $600 at Sportsman's Warehouse, but they can't tell the FBI if I bought cartridges or a canoe, because they don't know!

While the FBI might be able to use that information as a basis for further investigation, it is otherwise useless by itself. The store will have the record of what I bought, and the FBI could go to them and find out, but the info from the credit card company only tells them I bought something, not what.

And this doesn't even remotely consider the possibility that no credit card information matters if the suspect(s) paid in CASH....
Old March 14, 2023, 04:32 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Did/does American Express (or any credit card company) have records of the individual items purchased with one of their cards?
Nope. All they'd know is location and amount. There might be a category for "sporting goods" or such.

For all they know, I bought several gallons of Hoppe's to use as a cologne.
Old March 15, 2023, 03:37 AM   #6
Ed4032

And Hoppes makes air fresheners too.