The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 14, 2016, 07:48 AM   #1
darkgael

Baby Bulldog ....interesting chamfering.

Some years ago I acquired the Baby Bulldog pictured below. I have not shot it. Timing is off, needs a new hand, spring, and other parts.
I picked it up recently to review its needs and remind myself of the chambering. I pulled the cylinder and took some .32 S&W cartridges in hand. They dropped neatly into three of the six chambers.
They would not enter the other three which, upon examination, were visibly smaller. By chance, I had a box of .32 Short Colt cartridges on the shelf. They dropped into the smaller chambers and rattled in the other three.
The larger and smaller chambers alternate. The Colt cartridge uses a heeled bullet.
Anyone heard of this type of thing?

Old August 14, 2016, 09:35 AM   #2
mapsjanhere

Looks to me like someone started to drill out the 32. colt chambers to take the 32 s&w, then realized how thin the metal between the chambers would get, and did alternating chambers.
Old August 14, 2016, 01:39 PM   #3
marines6433

Well, it does, as said above, look altered by someone who was not thinking the whole process through. I would not shoot it...just my personal opinion.
Old August 15, 2016, 04:23 AM   #4
darkgael

Shoot

No shooting. The gun is not shootable in any case.
Thanx.