The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 15, 2018, 09:58 AM   #1
KY_blkout

Muzzle brake on 6.5

What's everyone's opinion on muzzle brakes on the creedmor? I'm fairly new to the creedmor and have only had mine for 6 months, it has a factory threaded barrel and it's intended use is for mid range paper punching and a few deer hunting outings a year. Also does it make a difference if you use a brake that's for a .308 or 30 caliber for it? The gun is a remington 700 tactical.
Old July 15, 2018, 10:26 AM   #2
Don Fischer

I hate muzzle brakes. Say's to me you have a rifle with more recoil than you can handle. Getting one means your gonna really increase the noise too. Fooling with a 7mm mag for a friend that has one, the recoil is still more than I want and the noise is unbelievable. With a 6.5 C you shouldn't need one.
Old July 15, 2018, 10:39 AM   #3
Jim Watson

Silencer, dude, silencers are what are cool to screw on your barrels
Old July 15, 2018, 11:32 AM   #4
craddleshooter

I would check out Patriot Valley Arms Mad Scientist brake. Josh Kunz has a pretty slick setup. PVA "Mad Scientist" Brake - Patriot Valley Arms
Old July 15, 2018, 10:28 PM   #5
DPI7800

I love breaks, run them on just about everything to include a 223 bolt gun, 6.5CM, 308 and 338 LM. I am faster back on target every single time and typically don’t even lose sight of my target because of the reduced muzzle rise and that in itself is worth it for me. Sure it is louder, but that’s why we have hearing protection! I use custom molded ear plugs and yes I use them when I hunt also, I won’t take a shot with out hearing protection.

The other thing is with breaks you can shoot a whole lot more in a session than with out. Great example I always love going to a school where we are shooting a 100 plus rounds a day and by the end of the week long training I’m the only one that isn’t sore because I’m running a break when no one else is and we’ve shot 500 plus rounds.

All depends what d you are interested why not give it a try and see what you like. Worse case is you don’t like the break and end up selling it.
Old July 16, 2018, 01:00 AM   #6
KY_blkout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPI7800 View Post
I love breaks, run them on just about everything to include a 223 bolt gun, 6.5CM, 308 and 338 LM. I am faster back on target every single time and typically don’t even lose sight of my target because of the reduced muzzle rise and that in itself is worth it for me. Sure it is louder, but that’s why we have hearing protection! I use custom molded ear plugs and yes I use them when I hunt also, I won’t take a shot with out hearing protection.

The other thing is with breaks you can shoot a whole lot more in a session than with out. Great example I always love going to a school where we are shooting a 100 plus rounds a day and by the end of the week long training I’m the only one that isn’t sore because I’m running a break when no one else is and we’ve shot 500 plus rounds.

All depends what d you are interested why not give it a try and see what you like. Worse case is you don’t like the break and end up selling it.
Primary arms ended up having a radical firearms on sale for 16 bucks for today only. I'm sure its about the worst brake I could get but I figure its cheap so I'll try it and if I like it just a little i'll get a decent one.
Old July 16, 2018, 07:31 AM   #7
Bfglowkey

Muzzle brakes have a love hate relationship in the world of shooting. Personally I use them on anything up to and over my 6.5 Creedmoor. I also placed one on my daughters 223/556 MVP LC while she learns the basics of precision shooting at longer distances. We tend to go to the range during non peak times so rarely do we upset other shooters. I find them useful when developing loads as well as I could potentially shoot 30-70 rounds to get the load tweaked just right ( Ya I know that's a lot for a load but I am pretty particular and a OCD freak when it comes to getting it just right but that's another story)
In the end use them and if you like it great. Be wary at the range if you do, and if its busy warn your neighbor.
Old July 17, 2018, 09:45 PM   #8
1MoreFord

I call my brakes compensators. They are on my old race pistols. Love the things. They make a major load feel like a minor load out of a stock pistol. I've shot braked rifles and a good brake will knock a caliber down at least one class. Meaning .308 to .243 or 7mm mag to .30-06/.308. Yep they are louder but the reduction in recoil is wonderful for my recoil sensitive self.
Old July 17, 2018, 10:45 PM   #9
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
I hate muzzle brakes. Say's to me you have a rifle with more recoil than you can handle. Getting one means your gonna really increase the noise too. Fooling with a 7mm mag for a friend that has one, the recoil is still more than I want and the noise is unbelievable. With a 6.5 C you shouldn't need one.
A brake lets you minimize the rifle cycling time between shots and reduces felt recoil and get back on target quicker.
It also lets you shoot a higher energy rifle and hit targets more accurately that are otherwise distant. Finally it reduces pain in the shoulder.

I can zip through 30-60 rounds on my .50 BMG semi in a few minutes with no pain due to the muzzle brake and some clever springs and mass. I’ve fired it with 1/2 the brake disabled and 1 Shot was enough.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 20, 2018, 08:57 AM   #10
bfoosh006

I run Lantac .30 cal brakes on all my 6.5CM's.

I read somewhere the difference is negligible between a 6.5 and .308 brake... as in a few percentage points when using same brake in 6.5 as compared to a .308.

I have been very happy with my Lantacs... and if you can wait for them to be on sale , they offer a Blast Mitigating Device ( BMD ) that does effectively deflect the muzzle blast forward. The BMD is a simple twist on / off gizmo.

It does make for a different POI when installed v. not... so be sure to check POI v. POA.