The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 5, 2019, 08:23 PM   #1
ninosdemente

Cleaning rod for bolt action/semi auto rifles

So I have those cheap $20 "mini suitcase" that come with aluminum?? cleaning rods that have to be assembled for multiple calibers. This is what I have been using as its the only tool I have for cleaning.

I have been looking on videos where it is mentioned often that when inserting the cleaning rod, it is best when it rotates with the barrel when being cleaned. This is something that my current rod does not. Also, have to give if a good push, but think may be due to the cleaning patch, perhaps too thick when it is being passed through barrel.

I have come across a lot regarding the Dewey Rods which have seen they are made for different calbers. Are these good to have or stick with what I have or simply get something different? Open to suggestions and to hear what you use for cleaning rifles. Guessing many people have their own cleaning methods as well.

Here is what I have:
Bolt action: .223/30-06/6.5 Creedmoor/22lr
Ar 15: 22lr and 5.56

Thanks in advanced.
Old August 5, 2019, 09:40 PM   #2
Bart B.

Dewey or Parker-Hale coated rods are best for cleaning from the muzzle. Get the largest diameter that easily fits your barrel.

Solid one piece stainless steel rods are good when used from the breech with a guide in the bolt way.
Old August 6, 2019, 09:12 AM   #3
stinkeypete

With all those .22 cal rifles I think you would enjoy a nice long .22 cal single piece rod.

One can do a fine job cleaning by using an el-cheapo break down rod on occasion (for example, I don’t shoot my 30-06 much so use a 30 cal breakdown) but it’s just less fuss to grab the right tool for the job, clean the rifle and not fuss with a rod that eventually is going to have the threads strip.
Old August 6, 2019, 04:23 PM   #4
PlatinumCore16

I have a really nice 1-piece carbon rod for my larger bore rifles, but it doesn't fit my 22cal rifles. Such a nice rod. Shame it's too large for the 22 cal. Highly recommend a 1 piece. Especially something softer than your barrel to preserve the rifling.
Old August 6, 2019, 05:14 PM   #5
RC20

You might want to do a search. Pretty extensive go over not too long ago.

I moved to a one piece swivel type 4 years back. Don't know what the name is, works.

Blue handle.

For actual 22 LR I went with a .17 caliber rod. The setup is not robust with a rimfire and the mess is not bad so a loose fit that does not beat up the firing end was my goal.
Old August 6, 2019, 10:39 PM   #6
ninosdemente

Thanks guys for the help..

These would be the only ones needed:

https://deweyrods.com/product-catego...-34-cal-brass/
https://deweyrods.com/product/22-cal...rod-36-inches/

-------

Bart B., what is difference between brass and the stainless steel when using to clean barrel?

------

PlatinumCore16, do you mind providing link to what you have?

------

RC20, thanks for the advice. Not many blue handle rods showed up online... Montana X-treme.
Old August 6, 2019, 11:05 PM   #7
Bart B.

Bare brass rods are soft enough to hold abrasive particles and wear the bore. Not good; almost as bad as bare aluminum rods. Both bend easily and rub against the bore more than others. I would never use either in a rifle barrel.

I used a bare stainless steel rod cleaning the 5 match Garand barrels I wore out. Enough bore wear at the muzzle that no copper wash in the last 3/4th inch of the bore. Bore gage read .0025" muzzle enlargement from .300" new They all tested about MOA at 600 yards with hand loads after about 3000 to 3500 rounds when replaced.

Last edited by Bart B.; August 6, 2019 at 11:30 PM.
Old August 7, 2019, 07:10 AM   #8
cw308

nino
I like the Dewey one piece steel coated rod used with the Parker Hale jag , the patch wraps around the jag giving more cleaning area . I use a 3" square cotton patch , I cut 1/2" off one side because it's the length of the jag 2.5 for my 308 , perfect fit . You want the right fit for the patch , works well for me because I also shoot 1911 45ACP 3" square patch . If you try the Parker Hale jag trim the patch to the cleaning length on the jag and see how many wraps work best . That's the only jag I use now after trying many .
Old August 8, 2019, 08:16 AM   #9
Reloadron

I like and use the Dewey and Tipton rods in assorted length, diameter and coatings. I also pretty much use their rod accessories also including the Dewey jags. While not the least expensive neither are the rifles and hand guns I am cleaning.

Ron
Old August 8, 2019, 06:51 PM   #10
jpx2rk

I use Pro shot brand rods and a bore guide, always use a bore guide.
Old August 13, 2019, 11:38 PM   #11
ninosdemente

I do have some jags just haven't gotten the rods yet. Thanks guys for the help.