The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 21, 2017, 07:39 PM   #51
supercub99

Regarding engineers, as my sister in law likes to say, some and some.

Back to handles. I remember when Hornady came out with the Lock n Load progressive press. Shortly there after, one of the early aftermarket things was the handle. There were short, long, bent and bent again....none like the original. I wonder if Hornady would have bent and shortened the original if the after market folks would have offered up a straight one?

But I regress. And will offer up a mod of my own for the Forster Co-ax. The long straight handle that comes on it is indeed a little awkward depending on the height of the bench. There are several aftermarket ones out but a little spendy for a pipe. I found this handle at a hardware store and cut it down a few inches. I may play around and take it down a little more as it cost a whole $4.50. It's a hitch pin for a trailer so easy to find just about anywhere. It's tough and takes a little doing to whack it off and then you need to clean the paint off so it slips in the press yoke. It is solid steel and it actually counter balances the press rather nicely as the tend to snap up a little fast. You can angle it sideways if you work to one side or the other.
Enjoy.

Old April 22, 2017, 08:17 AM   #52
jmorris

Quote:
The main difference between and engineer and a basement crank inventor is just having the science and math and training to whittle down what can sometimes be a nearly infinite number of cut-and-try possibilities,
It can also lead to overly complex designs that rely on modern technology's that don't play out well in the end.

Kind of like an already 94 year old 1923 Ford model T has a much better chance of still being able to start and drive in another 50 years than any brand new auto you can buy today. It's also not one of the vehicles involved in the 42 million recall involving Takata airbags either...

Engineers are people too and have different opinions on what is best, just like everyone else.
Old April 24, 2017, 04:57 AM   #53
Whisper 300

Thank you supercub--first off, Unclenick turns me on to a new part from Forster and then you show me that a Linchpin works and I have an assortment of them given the number of large tractors and implements in the shed.
Kind of sorry I bought the short handle years ago as the D-handle is pretty spiffy.
Never too old to learn a new trick.
Thanks guys.

Gary
Old April 24, 2017, 07:04 AM   #54
AVirginian

I cut down an old golf club shaft and use it occasionally. I did have to add a 3/4" copper coupler to make it fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Handle.jpg (212.6 KB, 25 views)
Old April 29, 2017, 05:01 PM   #55
supercub99

"I cut down an old golf club shaft and use it occasionally. I did have to add a 3/4" copper coupler to make it fit. "

Nice, my only concern would be that if I used my worthless driver handle I would have shells that looked like bananas!
Old April 29, 2017, 09:23 PM   #56
RC20

Quote:
But I regress. And will offer up a mod of my own for the Forster Co-ax. The long straight handle that comes on it is indeed a little awkward depending on the height of the bench. There are several aftermarket ones out but a little spendy for a pipe. I found this handle at a hardware store and cut it down a few inches. I may play around and take it down a little more as it cost a whole $4.50. It's a hitch pin for a trailer so easy to find just about anywhere. It's tough and takes a little doing to whack it off and then you need to clean the paint off so it slips in the press yoke. It is solid steel and it actually counter balances the press rather nicely as the tend to snap up a little fast. You can angle it sideways if you work to one side or the other.
Enjoy.
Good lord man, you modified it, I hope you had it engineered.

For a small fee.......
Old May 6, 2017, 05:52 AM   #57
wiiawiwb

Supercub99...great mod to the Co-Ax. Very clever.
Old May 7, 2017, 01:38 AM   #58
bbqncigars

I really appreciate the engineering that went into my almost fifty year old CoAx. I've ruined many a case due to operator error (a 30-06 case does NOT play well with a .32acp size die), but the machine has never failed. I don't see the need for a short lever, as I sit to the right of the press and just flip the yoke choked down in my right hand. A simple rotation of the wrist full length sizes 45-70 cases.
As to the strength/accuracy debate, I've seen no mention of how the CoAx pulls the shell holder into the die versus every other press pushing it. Which of the two is inherently more stable, hmm? JMHO.