The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 27, 2011, 01:21 AM   #1
Ideal Tool

Ceramic Media?

Hello, Has anyone tried the ceramic media designed for use in rotary tumblers, for cleaning cases fired with black powder?
Old February 27, 2011, 07:31 AM   #2
Rembrandt

Tried it in a RCBS Sidewinder.....worked great. Must be used with water which would help dissolve black powder nicely.
Old February 27, 2011, 10:28 AM   #3
F. Guffey

This could be the third or forth time this subject has gone around so to recap, most tumblers have a capacity determined by volume and weight, it could be possible to load a tumbler with three bricks, that does not mean the tumbler will work as designed, so, I would suggest weighing the ceramic media first and not overload the machine.

The RCBS Sidewinder can be used wet of dry, the wet part helps keep the dust down, when it stops the dust settles to the bottom but at slow speeds balance is not a problem, I helped a heavy duty reloader finish a rotating drum cleaner he made from an old 'one of a kind blue print machine' with a 15 gallon capacity drum, the motor had a variable speed rheostat with the stainless steel drum and nothing to rust or corrode he went to straight liquid type detergent, with 10s of 1,000s of cases to tumble, he cut tumbling time from months to days.

Reloaders I know that triied the heavy media quit using it because they said "It makes their motor go so slow". I guess one answer would have been to use less media.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; February 27, 2011 at 10:38 AM.