The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 14, 2001, 11:17 PM   #1
therealkaos

I have just bought a Colt revolver that i think may be a new "new service model". It is chambered for 45 acp. On the barrel it says "COLT D.A. 45". It is a deep shiny finish that may be a re-blue. It has a 4 inch barrel and black grips that say "COLT" at the top of them. It is serial number 2149xx. It also has a front sight that is not like the other blade type sights i have seen old Colts. I have had a few people tell me it is a new service model, a few others have called it as something else.

I have a picture of it and i will try to post it here. I would be gratefull for any info on exactly what it is and how old it is. thanks, therealkaos

i was unable to figure out how to post the picture.
Old February 15, 2001, 01:42 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

There,

You have to have the photograph "hosted" at another site, such as a personal web page or one of the free photo sites such as Photopoint, before you can link it to this site.

Once you have your photos hosted, click the "vB code" link at the top of this page to see the proper command structure.

As for the revolver, it could be one of a couple different guns, but it sounds like you're describing either a Colt New Service in .45 Colt, or possibly a military/commercial variant of the New Service (known in military terms as the Model of 1917) and chambered in .45 ACP.

The 4-inch barrel and the markings are more indicative of a gun chambered for the rimmed .45 Colt round, not the .45 ACP round.

Old February 15, 2001, 04:46 PM   #3
therealkaos

Thanks Mike,
I alcso think it is a new service revolver. it is for sure 45 acp only. I was wondering if anyone knew how old it is based on the serial number? thanks
Old February 15, 2001, 05:51 PM   #4
Daniel Watters

The serial number indicates 1919. I wouldn't be surprised if someone had not shortened (or swapped) the barrel of a M1917 and had the finished product refinished.
Old February 15, 2001, 11:00 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Colt made the New Service in a number of calibers, and with several different barrel lengths. The most common version was the U.S. Model 1917, in .45 ACP. That serial is in the range for the Model 1917. There is some discrepancy in some of the books, showing unquestioned Model 1917 serials as made in 1919 or 1920. For example, I know that No. 236xxx (Army No. 807xx) is a Model 1917. On these guns, the Colt serial number is in the crane cut, both on the frame and on the crane.

The revolver in question would originally have had a 5 1/2 inch barrel, walnut stocks, a lanyard loop and an Army number on the bottom of the grip. If the lanyard loop is gone, a close inspection should reveal the lanyard loop hole.

The front sight might be a gunsmith installation, put on the cut down barrel.

Jim
Old February 16, 2001, 10:23 AM   #6
therealkaos

thanks again for all the information.