The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 3, 2013, 07:27 PM   #1
9rudy9

older Winchester parts

Hello, I have a few older Winchesters and will be looking for some parts for one them. First off I have a Model 1892 32 WCF Rifle. SN shows it to be manufactured in 1906. Barrel looks to be 19" and the overall length is 37 1/2". Rough measure with a tape measure. The magazine is as long as the barrel.
It is missing one screw in the butt plate. The one where the plate bends under the stock.
The last few times I fired it, 20 years ago, the last round wouldn't feed correctly. I found the magazine spring looks damaged.

I would like to find out where I could find the correct spring and butt plate screw for the short 32-20?
Can someone recommend a reliable book and/ or websites that have some complete parts breakdowns and information of these old Winchesters? I need date ranges from 1896 to 1906 for the mod 94 30-30 and other model 92
32 WCF.
I found a magazine spring for the model 92 on Numerich but am not sure if it would be the correct one. I would like to find an original Winchester screw for the butt plate as well.
I care too much for these for me to work on them myself but at the same time very leery about letting them out of my sight. I am looking for the best gunsmith for the older Winchesters. Somewhere in the Pacific Northwest, specifically in the North Idaho area. If you have any input on that I would be glad to hear it.

Thanks in advance. Roy.
Old March 3, 2013, 07:54 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Best one I know of is Ron Scott. There are others. If you can get the thread pitch and size, any machinist should be able to fabricate the screw for you.

As for the spring, I bet the guys at Lassen College can make it for you.
Old March 4, 2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Scorch

Call John Taylor at Taylor Machine at 253-445-4073. John is an excellent gunsmith and machinist, and is extremely knowledgeable on old Winchesters. He fabricates many parts, and has access to many old original parts.
Old March 4, 2013, 05:10 PM   #4
Clark

What a coincidence!
Last night I took apart a Win 92 for the first time and went to bed.
I got up this morning and thought about putting it together.
Then I got an email from my brother that said he put together a Win 92 when he was a kid, just from the exploded view.
That was a call to "be a man and get it done."
I got it together.
Here is where I got parts for a Win 95 last month, great outfit.
They have Win 92 parts too:
http://www.homesteadparts.com/shopca...ester_1892.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Winchester 92 back together again 3-4-2013.jpg (67.5 KB, 92 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 4, 2013, 05:45 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

IIRC, the buttplate screws for the '73, '92 and early '94 are all the same.

Jim
Old March 4, 2013, 09:28 PM   #6
9rudy9

Thanks for the replies everyone. Nice looking rifle Clark.
I ordered the one butt plate screw they said they had and a couple books but no magazine springs. I'll keep digging. Roy.