The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 9, 2013, 11:24 PM   #26
souther33

thanks for all the posts. I finally decided on the SBE because of the way it shouldered, plain and simple it just felt better.

with this gun I felt like my sights lined up better therefore, my first shot would be a more accurate of a shot than the Beretta's first shot, even though the next shots would kick more with the Benelli. My first shot is more important to me then my follow up shots. If I cant hit with my first then I should not be worrying about the next shot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(1).JPG (161.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (138.7 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by souther33; March 9, 2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old April 2, 2013, 04:10 AM   #27
duckhuntr72

Reliable A391?

Been dumping ducks with a good old Mossberg 500A Turkey Combo for years and I'm ready for an upgrade. Not that there's anything wrong with my Mossy, have no intentions of getting rid of it, but I've been eyeballing the Beretta A391 Extrema2for a while now, but before I drop that kind of cash, I need to know that it won't let me down if it gets a little water, marsh, snow, or duck feathers in it.. Thoughts?
Old April 3, 2013, 03:23 PM   #28
1hogfan83

Browning's new A5 looks awfully pretty. Over the whole cleaning issue I would totally go benelli while holding and fitting each to my shoulder in the store.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old May 17, 2013, 01:45 PM   #29
hopeisnotastrategy

I own the A400 Xtreme Unico and absolutely LOVE IT! It cycles everything I give it and the recoil reduction is as advertised. I've hunted pheasant, quail, chukar, and turkey so far, as well as spent time at the range and I've not had a single failure. It cycles extremely fast and recoils straight back so that you are back on target faster.

I have a buddy that bought a Super Vinci and in spite of it's excellent reputation, it failed to cycle from the moment he took it out of the box. I want to say that I think this is one of those rare exceptions, because the ARGO system has a great reputation, but it did give me pause to recommend Benelli.

Every time I hunt or spend time at the range, people drool over my A400.

If you go with the Beretta you will absolutely not be disappointed.

Only one life, 'twill soon be past. Only what's done for Christ will last.
http://scottrossonline.com/
Old June 6, 2013, 09:47 AM   #30
+1k ammo

Glad to hear you like the A400. I like Beretta and PX4 9mm was my first handgun and will never give it up.

Anyway, was looking for comparisons to the A400 on youtube. but did not find any.

Did you look at Browning Maxus and the Remington Versa Max? How did they compare in quality and price as I am looking to trade some older shotguns in on a newer gas with less recoil and fast action for possible 3-gun competition and a once season turkey hunt.
Old June 6, 2013, 10:47 AM   #31
hopeisnotastrategy

Benelli or Beretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by +1k ammo View Post
Did you look at Browning Maxus and the Remington Versa Max?
I considered both but really struggled to decide between the Maxus and the A400. I researched all three extensively but only handled the A400 and the Maxus prior to purchase.

In the end I'm sure I would have been happy with either. The Maxus is a really nice shotgun. I chose the A400 because I liked the way it fit me and the way it felt just a tad better. I also really like the rubberized grip for water fowling (vs the slick plastic of the Maxus) and the fact that multiple reviewers I read said that the A400 handled light loads a little better as well as kicked slightly less with heavy loads.

Again, it was a really tough decision but I am not disappointed with my choice.
Old June 6, 2013, 11:58 AM   #32
+1k ammo

Glad to hear you like the A400. I like Beretta and PX4 9mm was my first handgun and will never give it up.

Anyway, was looking for comparisons to the A400 on youtube. but did not find any.

Did you look at Browning Maxus and the Remington Versa Max? How did they compare in quality and price as I am looking to trade some older shotguns in on a newer gas with less recoil and fast action for possible 3-gun competition and a once season turkey hunt.
Old June 11, 2013, 10:57 PM   #33
+1k ammo

oops, sorry for the double post. Must have been on my phone...
Old June 11, 2013, 11:08 PM   #34
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Did you look at Browning Maxus and the Remington Versa Max? How did they compare in quality and price as I am looking to trade some older shotguns in on a newer gas with less recoil and fast action for possible 3-gun competition and a once season turkey hunt
For 3 gun there is no comparison between the two, the Versa Max wins every time.

If you want it to be mainly a 3 gun shotgun, then go with the Versa Max tactical (but ditch the stupid "breacher" choke).
Old June 12, 2013, 08:40 PM   #35
+1k ammo

So would the VMT be ok for an occasional turkey or field outing? It will have the 22" barrel instead of 26" and feeding tube of course.

I was a kid the last time I went, so I am not hard core, just once a year or so with a buddy, but probably once a month for 3-gun once I get set up.

I could use what I have right now, but what is the fun in that! I want to buy a new gun.
Old June 12, 2013, 08:46 PM   #36
allaroundhunter

For turkey you don't need a super long barrel. And since you will be shooting 3 gun more than turkey hunting, I would indeed go with the VMT. You will probably want to get an extended turkey choke, however, for turkey hunting. And you will definitely want to pattern a couple turkey loads out to 40 or 50 yards to see first of all if they pattern well and secondly to find your max effective range.
Old June 13, 2013, 06:05 PM   #37
+1k ammo

Sounds good. I just looked and all the VMT in my area on Davidsons Gallery of Guns are gone! There are (15) Sportsmans though. That's ok, I can wait a little bit as I am trading around some other guns and sending Glocks back to factory etc.

Can't wait to get one.
Old June 13, 2013, 06:07 PM   #38
allaroundhunter

They are great, soft shooting guns. You'll love it when you get one!
Old June 16, 2013, 09:20 AM   #39
MarkCO

I have patterned turkey loads from 22" and 26" VersaMax barrels...almost identical.

That said, a lot of guys are going to 26" barrels and 10 or 11 round VersaTubes for 3Gun.
Old July 29, 2013, 09:26 PM   #40
Revan

I know there's not much love for Benelli's on this forum but I own the exact Benelli shotgun you mentioned, the SBE2 in the Mossy Oak Duck Blind camo and I love this shotgun. It's light and quick to aim, it's action is superb and fast. Mine patterns very well and came with 4 different chokes. I like the forearm because it is narrower than most autos and will cycle anything from 2.70 to 3.5 magnum loads. Great shotgun if you can pony up the $$$.
Old July 30, 2013, 04:31 AM   #41
BigD_in_FL

It's not that there isn't a lot of love for Benellis - it is just most here won't/can't drop the coin needed to buy one. They are excellent, and very reliable guns. that I see in the hands where I live of some very serious turkey and waterfowl hunters. When I shoot a semi, however, I am shooting clay targets, so I prefer the softer gas action guns like the A400 - but if I were again going after waterfowl and turkeys, a Benelli would be in the safe for those times.
Old July 30, 2013, 10:38 AM   #42
BigJimP

I use a Benelli Super Sport model / have one in 12ga and one in 20ga....as a do most everything gun ( clays, birds, etc ) as a rain gun / or a travel gun ...or on days when my shoulder is bad. It won't ever replace my O/U's ...but it's a solid gun ( and I bought the 12ga when they first came out - maybe 10 yrs ago now ) ...and I'd buy it again.

An Inertia gun will never be as soft shooting as a gas gun ....but a Benelli with the synthetic stock - so it can have the comfort tech supression system in it...is a pretty soft shooting gun with moderate loads especially - and 90% of the time, I shoot the 12ga with 1oz loads at around 1225 fps...so they aren't howitzer loads.

I think Big D is right / price is the reason Benelli doesn't get more support on this forum ....not function.