The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old July 8, 2012, 12:57 PM   #1
Super Sneaky Steve

More pics from my new mold

This came from my Lee 145-006 mold which arrived on my doorstep yesterday. It says it's for 38 spl, 38 S&W, and 38 Colt New Police. They are advertied as 125gr but they dropped around 130. Pan lubed 50% Beeswax, 50% Vasiline with a dash of STP in there and an orange crayon. They are loaded up with 3.6 gr of Tightgroup.

I just think they are the cutest little things

Old July 8, 2012, 04:49 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

They must have changed that design recently. Looks like it would work great in 9mm too!

Lookin' good!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old July 8, 2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Beagle333

They are cute little things! Let's shoot em at somethin'!
I'll set up a row of cans! Since you brought the boolits... you go first!
Old July 8, 2012, 06:50 PM   #4
hornetguy

I've been looking at that one, and it's big brother at 158gr.

I think the bigger one would be dandy for hunting/self defense, with the large meplat. It would be interesting to measure both of them to see if they are close to the same.

The smaller one is bound to be more fun to shoot from a snub gun.. should be less recoil.

Let us know how they work.. good lookin bullets!
Old July 8, 2012, 08:21 PM   #5
GP100man

Good lookin ammo dar SSS, the liter weights sure save on lead also !!

What dia. do they drop from the mold ??
Old July 8, 2012, 10:10 PM   #6
David Bachelder

You confused me. I thought you meant 145-006 was the LEE mold number, when that is Midway's part number. I have the same mold and I was going nuts trying to figure out where the odd number came from.

The mold is a LEE 358-125-RF. I have the same mold in a six cavity. The bullets and the mold perform very well. I shoot them out of a Henry Big Boy using Titegroup at 4.3 grains. The Henry loves them, shoots them better than any other .38 bullet I've tried.

Great looking bullets there.
Old July 9, 2012, 08:29 PM   #7
Super Sneaky Steve

Quote:
I've been looking at that one, and it's big brother at 158gr.
I actually bought the 158 big brother mold too. I can cast some up next time so you can see them both side by side in the flesh.

Quote:
The mold is a LEE 358-125-RF
Oops! You are correct sir!

Quote:
What dia. do they drop from the mold
Not sure but I sized them to .358 with my el-cheap-o Lee sizing die.
Old July 12, 2012, 11:07 PM   #8
reloader28

Theres something wrong about calling a cast bullet cute.
I really like the Lee 125 (130 from my mold) and it used to be my "cute" bullet. I only tried 1 load in .38 and it shot good. We usually use a plain base gas check and run it in 9mm at full house loads with good accuracy and no leading.

Then about a month ago I got the Ranch Dog 100gr for my 380's. Now its my cute one. In fact its hard to keep my hands off them.HA
As soon as I get all the 380's loaded, I want to switch my press and try these in .38's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg right ranchdog.jpg (13.7 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; August 10, 2012 at 09:27 AM. Reason: bullet
Old July 13, 2012, 01:00 AM   #9
FrankenMauser

You guys are killing me.

Not only do I NEED to cast a bunch of bullets, but I WANT to cast a bunch of bullets.

The problem... there's nearly an entire Chevy van front clip plus engine parts, the tranny, and all of the emissions crap torn down and stacked on my casting bench, and I can't get anything out of the way until the engine block and cylinder heads come back from the machinist. I can't do any casting, until the van is running again. But, I can't get started on that until the block and heads get here.

Torture....
Old July 13, 2012, 03:36 PM   #10
Mike / Tx

Quote:
You guys are killing me.

Not only do I NEED to cast a bunch of bullets, but I WANT to cast a bunch of bullets.

The problem... there's nearly an entire Chevy van front clip plus engine parts, the tranny, and all of the emissions crap torn down and stacked on my casting bench, and I can't get anything out of the way until the engine block and cylinder heads come back from the machinist. I can't do any casting, until the van is running again. But, I can't get started on that until the block and heads get here.

Torture....
Don't ya know, rule # 7 - nothing but reloading/casting junk on the reloading/casting table.

Been there, but it was other things like rod building stuff, or wood working tools, or yada yada yada. Now if I want to cut any lumber or anything else it takes me a full weekend to cover up and straighten up my loading/casting stuff, or I just build it outside.

don't worry it's too darned hot to pour up much more than one pot full now anyway.
Old August 6, 2012, 04:20 PM   #11
Super Sneaky Steve

I tested two loadings with my model 642 1.87".

3.6 grains of Tightgroup gave me 651 fps or 122 ft/lbs
4.1 grains of Tightgroup gave me 751 fps or 163 ft/lbs

They are both very controlable loads. A pleasure to shoot even in an airlight frame. The hotter load didn't kick that much more and was just as accurate so I'm going to go with that. I have to say it's the most accurate bullet I ever shot! I'm actually going to carry these since they work so well.
Old August 6, 2012, 09:07 PM   #12
jmortimer

"I think the bigger one would be dandy for hunting/self defense, with the large meplat."

+1 to that
Old August 7, 2012, 05:23 PM   #13
YARDDOG(1)

FrankenMauser "[You guys are killing me.

The problem... there's nearly an entire Chevy van front clip plus engine parts, the tranny, and all of the emissions crap torn down and stacked on my casting bench, and I can't get anything out of the way until the engine block and cylinder heads come back from the machinist. I can't do any casting, until the van is running again. But, I can't get started on that until the block and heads get here.]"

I'm in the (One) Bench dose it all class
Y/D
Old August 25, 2012, 08:32 PM   #14
458winshooter

Lee 125 mould

I have one of these in a 2 hole.It works great in either of my revolvers but it throws them all over the place in my Puma/Rossi lever action.I have bought a Lee .356 sizer to try in my 9mm just haven't got around to it yet.