The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 27, 2000, 02:46 PM   #1
LIProgun

Finally got around to publishing the write-up of my gun-care products salt-spray torture tests. [Thanks to Dean Speir at The Gun Zone.]

http://communities.prodigy.net/sportsrec/gz-rust.html

Questions, comments, criticisms, emotional outbursts, etc., are welcome.
Old November 27, 2000, 04:55 PM   #2
TN-popo

Thank you for the effort...very helpful.
Old November 27, 2000, 05:32 PM   #3
Ledbetter

Thanks

Great article. How come I've never seen Eezox?

Regards
Old November 28, 2000, 07:08 AM   #4
Ivanhoe

Interesting study. Here's some suggestions for further work (I'm always quick to take advantage of those suffering from OCD! );

1) use some 1"x1/8" bar stock pieces about 2" long, driven endwise into a scrap of pine. Apply the lube with a lubed patch, just as you would a barrel or slide.

2) instead of a salt spray test, how about a condensation test. Take the pine block and run it thru some freezer/no-freezer cycles to generate atmospheric condensation on it.

3) instead of salt spray, try mixing some plain old topsoil in the spray water. Maybe there are elements in dirt that accelerate rust, or maybe dirt particles accelerate condensation...

Old November 28, 2000, 08:04 AM   #5
johnbt

Thanks and a question...

Great article. Thank you. I have had success with Sheath and like the way it dries. Never having seen any Eezox...Does it dry on the gun or stay oily? John
Old November 28, 2000, 08:52 AM   #6
LIProgun

Eezox claims to be a lube that dries, but in my experience that is partially correct. If you apply a very thin film, as in wiping down an exterior, it does appear that the carrier evaporates. If you are applying it heavier, (e.g., a drop down a slide rail) it seems that it does not completely dry, but thickens somewhat. However, I would not describe this thickened product as gummy, it doesn't seem to attract dirt or powder fouling, and it provides good lubrication.

Years ago I used to use Prolix. That stuff evaporated completely and really did turn dry. I haven't seen it sold for years.

TW25-B is an oil that does not claim to dry, but when used in thin-film coatings might as well be dry. A gun exterior wiped down lightly with TW25-B, and then wiped with a clean cloth, feels dry to the touch. Yet the corrosion protection remains.

As for Ledbetter's question, I'm not sure. I believe Eezox is manufactured in Connecticut, and it is pretty common in gun shops here in the NY area. I used to get it in quantity by mail order from Natchez Shooters' Supply, but I think they no longer carry it.
Old November 28, 2000, 09:12 AM   #7
GeneS

Thank's for your effort, a very good article. It was good to hear how well Breakfree CLP performed. I've used CLP for many years.
Old November 28, 2000, 02:34 PM   #8
LIProgun

Eezox Followup

Since I have been asked several times in the last couple of days, "Where can I buy Eezox?" here is the number you can call to find a distributor near you:

1-800-462-3331

I have absolutely no connection with the company other than being a satisfied customer.
Old November 29, 2000, 12:09 AM   #9
Ivanhoe

Here is a link to a Prolix distributor;

http://gncsales.com/page2.htm

Last time I called these guys was probably about 2 years ago.

Note that Prolix supposedly changed their formulation into a separate cleaner and lube some years ago.

Old November 29, 2000, 01:06 AM   #10
Sling Shot

Thanks for taking the time testing the different lubricants. There is one lubricant that was left out of the test that should have been included. And that is the latest CLP from Remington called, Remington Nitro CLP. It is marketed under the Remington name for civilian sales, and it is the same CLP that is currently being used by the military. I can not remember the name, right off, of the company that manufactures the Nitro, and also has the current military contract for CLP. It is a synthetic oil that claims to dry to the touch in 24 hours without losing its lubricating ability. Would it be possible to test the Nitro, Breakfree, and Eezox for comparison results?
Sling Shot
Old November 29, 2000, 08:07 AM   #11
LIProgun

Nitro CLP

I believe Royco has the current military CLP contract, and I have read that they make the Rem Nitro CLP. I have not yet located the Rem Nitro CLP, but testing it the way I did is relatively simple.
Old November 29, 2000, 09:48 AM   #12
griz

Thanks Progun, that was well done and very helpful. I hope to do a similar test with my "favorites", mostly to include Mobil 1 and a test sample that has been painted.
Old November 29, 2000, 01:21 PM   #13
Sling Shot

LiProgun: Royco is the correct name. It just escaped me last night. I bought the Nitro from Dick's sporting goods. Dick's is a new chain store that recently moved into my area. There is a gent on the sigforum that uses the Eezox and swears by it. But have I got you talked into testing the Nitro once you locate it?
Sling Shot
Old November 30, 2000, 12:35 AM   #14
houndawg

Try taking the nail with the Militec on it and throwing it in the oven for a while. Supposedly, when the metal is heated, Militec penetrates the metal. We've gotten into discussions on SIG Forum about this subject and some have even went so far as to heat their guns in the oven. I believe it's at 170 degrees for about 30 minutes or so. not long enough or hot enough to hurt an all metal gun, but long enough for the product to do its thing. Militec's major claim is as a lubricant, though it is supposed to work as a corrosion inhibitor.
Old November 30, 2000, 04:33 AM   #15
navaho

Excellent work! Thanks for doing such a professional job.

Just two comments:

1) if you ever plan on doing another rust test, it
would be VERY interesting to add RIG (Rust Inhibiting
Grease) added. RIG is available at gun shops, and
also from Brownells (http://www.brownells.com)

I've read about a guy storing guns in a humid
Georgia attic for SEVEN YEARS, and having
it be completely rust-free. It was only covered
lightly in RIG, and was stored in a gun case (!),
and without the benefit of any dessicant.

2) I'm happy that BreakFree CLP did so well. That's
what I use for short-term; long term I'm a big
RIG fan.
Old November 30, 2000, 09:00 AM   #16
LIProgun

Nitro & Rig

Sling Shot: I have not planned on a new test, and right now I'm not in the market for more stuff since I buy Eezox and BreakFree CLP in bulk (plus, I've got all the other stuff to use up, including surplus LSA and LAW). However, if I can borrow some from a friend, or if the good folks at Remington want to send me some, I'll run a mini-test and supplement my report.

Navaho: I too have heard great things about the Rig grease you describe. I use another Rig product, their "+P Stainless" grease as my primary gun lubricant. I purposely did not include greases -- especially good old cosmoline -- because these are generally not particularly suitable for use on concealed carry gun exteriors. I know some people also swear by paste waxes (like car wax or furniture wax).
Old November 30, 2000, 09:59 AM   #17
Sling Shot

I surfed the net and here is the only place that I have found it for sale without calling Eezox.
http://www.bullberry.com/faq.html
If not buying one of the barrels, it costs $6.45 and that includes shipping for a four ounce bottle.
Sling Shot