The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 22, 2012, 01:30 PM   #26
oneounceload

something like this:
http://www.bob-allen.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=540T&CatId={AF884E34-91B4-430A-B32F-19E46992C820}

or this:
http://www.bob-allen.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=550T&CatId={AF884E34-91B4-430A-B32F-19E46992C820}

I have it and like it a lot

even this is nice:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Tra...n_id=100121029
Old February 22, 2012, 03:08 PM   #27
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Another little trick from long ago.

Print your name and phone number and part of your SS# in a piece of paper. Poor man's laminate is scotch tape on both sides. Conceal this in the gun, say, in the stock bolt hole, inside the forend on an autoloader,etc.

And of course, you have the serial numbers and descriptions of ALL your guns in a safe place, correct?.....
Old February 22, 2012, 03:28 PM   #28
zippy13

Quote:
And of course, you have the serial numbers and descriptions of ALL your guns in a safe place, correct?.....
^^+1^^
These days, take advantage of technology: List your guns on your cell phone (or pocket device). It's hard for someone to argue that it's not your gun if you can show him a pic and the serial number.
Old February 22, 2012, 03:29 PM   #29
TheKlawMan

Dave, the paper in the stock is a good idea. One thing about Cali is my guns are registered with the state's Department of Justice. The good part of what may be a bad thing; gun registration. I have the original paperwork in a fire safe.

I looked at what oneounce meant by a gun sleeve. That would do it but I was thinking of just using a gun sock so the gun can be set in a rack. Would a sleeve work and what is the differemce between a sleeve and a soft gun case?

Last edited by TheKlawMan; February 22, 2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old February 22, 2012, 03:35 PM   #30
TheKlawMan

Zippy, Pic on cell phone isn't a bad idea, but if you want to talk technology, what about a little device that can be secreted in your stock that works similar to a low jack? If your gun disappears, it can be immediately traced.
Old February 22, 2012, 04:07 PM   #31
zippy13

Quote:
what about a little device that can be secreted in your stock that works similar to a low jack?
That would work after the gun clears the club and the tracking device fired up. I was just thinking of convincing some pocket shooter that he has the wrong gun.

I guess you could have a device in your gun, and you'd be immediately alerted if it was moved. Someday they may have an app for that. My buddy and I use iPhones in the bluetooth WalkieTalkie mode while at the range (cell coverage is sparse there).
Old February 22, 2012, 04:22 PM   #32
oneounceload

The slip isn't as heavily padded as a gun case - it was originally designed foe shooters to easily carry their gun between pegs on a driven shoot or between stations at a sporting shoot that kept it dry, secure and easy to manage.
Old February 22, 2012, 05:43 PM   #33
Richard Bellam

Hey one ounce

Enough with the quote already!
Old February 22, 2012, 06:49 PM   #34
PJR

A friend of mine had a couple of guns stolen while he was at the club. The club parking lot is adjacent to a wooded area and dirtbag(s) hid there until things were quiet and broke into his truck. The thief(s) were never caught and the guns not recovered.

The days of me leaving a gun on the rack while I go for lunch are long over. I keep a close eye on my gun at the club and lock it in my vehicle when I'm not shooting and park it away from the trees if possible.
Old February 22, 2012, 07:07 PM   #35
mete

One of the tricks that gangs use now is to got to events where gun owners will be , gun shows, competitions ,etc. They mark tires of the cars ,then leave. Later , days or weeks , when they see a marked car they break in and have a good chance they will find a gun !!
Most stolen guns are from vehicles !!
Never put stickers that are gun related on your car , NRA, gun club ,etc. !
Old February 22, 2012, 07:39 PM   #36
oneounceload

Richard Bellam
Huh?
Old February 22, 2012, 10:57 PM   #37
7.62 Nato

"Another little trick from long ago.

Print your name and phone number and part of your SS# in a piece of paper. Poor man's laminate is scotch tape on both sides. Conceal this in the gun, say, in the stock bolt hole, inside the forend on an autoloader,etc."

How many of us don't get too many printed return labels that get thrown out each year? They fit (and stick) nicely under stocks, buttstocks, handguards, and recoil pads.
Old February 23, 2012, 10:12 AM   #38
Pongo

oneounce.

I'm probably wrong, but I took it that he was referring to your Aldo Gucci quote.
Old February 23, 2012, 02:31 PM   #39
oneounceload

Quote:
oneounce.

I'm probably wrong, but I took it that he was referring to your Aldo Gucci quote.
Maybe so, but since it is a signature line, it shows up on every posting. Oh well, he'll just have to get over it
Old February 26, 2012, 07:02 PM   #40
Nick S.

What are pocket shooters?
Old February 26, 2012, 11:46 PM   #41
TheKlawMan

Quote:
Ther term should not be confused with the honored game of pocket pool.

Shooters who are new to shooting clays. I had to once ask Zippy what he meant by the term, which derives from the fact that newbies generally don't have an ammuniton pouch and stuff it in their pockets.
Old February 27, 2012, 01:57 PM   #42
zippy13

Quote:
The term was coined by the club's trap boys. As my friend said, they're folks who don't have a shell bag or shooting vest.

Pocket shooters are one step up from ground shooters. They're the guys who put their shell boxes on the ground and bend over each time they load. The problem with that is: The fluid in your ears' semicircular canals may not have stabilized (after bending over) before you shoot and your balance won't have returned to its optimum. Pocket shooter have an advantage over ground shooter.
Old February 27, 2012, 08:54 PM   #43
TheKlawMan

Dang if Zippy isn't always coming up with something. That thing about fluid in the semicircular canals needing time to settle if not to affect balance should also apply to when I pick up a shotshell between stations. Besides possibly annoying squadmates, I imagine I might be messing with my balance. I catch most of mine as the breech opens and now I think I will let the rest lay until the round is complete.
Old February 28, 2012, 08:21 AM   #44
PJR

I told was years ago that if you drop a live shell to leave it there until you move off the station. It was good advice as I've seen countless guys drop a shell, bend over to pick it up and then miss their next shot but until this thread I never knew why. Thanks.
Old February 28, 2012, 05:48 PM   #45
Nick S.

Fetching rounds

That makes sense. I brought a buddy with me to try sporting clays. His first time, my second. Several times at a station he had to go to the rack to grab a hand-full of shells from his range bag. Still he scored twice as many hits as I did so I didn't say anything.
Old February 28, 2012, 07:08 PM   #46
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlawMan
...should also apply to when I pick up a shotshell between stations.
I wouldn't worry, I think it only applies to shooting immediately after bending over. By the time you advance to the next station, your ears should be back to normal. But, if you miss, you can use slow ears as an alibi.

Slow ears?... no worries
Old February 28, 2012, 08:50 PM   #47
TheKlawMan

I like slow ears as an alibi. I need all I can get.