The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 13, 2011, 10:50 AM   #1
Hawg

New forum

We've got a brand new (no members yet) traditional black powder forum. Come help us build a new community.

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Last edited by Hawg; September 13, 2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old September 13, 2011, 11:10 AM   #2
Lee McNelly

2nd email

waiting for 2nd email
Old September 13, 2011, 06:41 PM   #3
ozarkguy

Thanks for the heads up Hawg. I'm giving it a shot.
Old September 13, 2011, 07:52 PM   #4
OutlawJoseyWales

Cool, just joined, well I hope I get approved that is.
Old September 13, 2011, 09:37 PM   #5
zullo74

Wrong thread, sorry,
Old September 13, 2011, 09:48 PM   #6
egor20

Good luck Hawg with the new forum, I have a Bakers rifle, so I may peek into it.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old September 13, 2011, 11:50 PM   #7
Hawg

Thanks guys. Whacha mean second email Lee?
Old September 14, 2011, 12:25 AM   #8
DG45

Is this new forum part of TFL or is it something different Hawg? I was noticing the categories listed and they were very specific, but I saw nothing about BP shotguns. (Maybe I just missed it?) I know there are at least a few guys on TFL who enjoy loading their own BP shotgun shells on old antique equipment and shooting them in their old antique shotguns. I don't know if there are enough of them though to have a separate category.

Anyway good luck with it. DG
Old September 14, 2011, 12:31 AM   #9
Hawg

It has nothing to do with TFL. Thanks for the reminder I forgot shotguns.
Old September 14, 2011, 04:26 AM   #10
Bill Akins

Hawg, I registered to join. Awaiting admin approval of my membership.

How will that other forum be different from the black powder forum here at the firing line? What is meant by "traditional" black powder forum?

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old September 14, 2011, 06:13 AM   #11
mykeal

'Traditional' means no discussion of in-lines.
Old September 14, 2011, 06:16 AM   #12
madcratebuilder

Is this a do-over of the old Black Powder Times? I was member of the old site. My user name and password no longer work, lose the data base?
Old September 14, 2011, 07:05 AM   #13
Hawg

It's Black Powder Times under new management on a different domain with a different format. Only the name remains the same. Most of the admin of this forum were mods on the old one. Mykeal we do allow discussions of ROA.
Old September 14, 2011, 07:18 AM   #14
Hawg

Quote:
Hawg, I registered to join. Awaiting admin approval of my membership.

How will that other forum be different from the black powder forum here at the firing line? What is meant by "traditional" black powder forum?
You were approved earlier. It will be a more relaxed atmosphere with the whole forum devoted to black powder with different categories for everything. Everything won't be jumbled together like it is here. We don't have a lot of rules. Nobody's gonna close a thread or get admonished for going off topic. Most of our rules pertain to content and behavior. There will be no discussion of inlines. If you want to talk about inlines there's other places like here that allow it. All of our topics pertain to traditional guns and traditional ways of doing things. There will be discussions of cartridge guns but black powder loads only.
Old September 14, 2011, 09:55 AM   #15
kadima

Given that I am spending more time over the kitchen sink cleaning the guns from blackpowdre than actual time at the firing range, I've found a sensible thing to join the new forum.

K.
Old September 14, 2011, 10:10 AM   #16
Muler44

Shoot, I'm in. Waiting on the approval.
Old September 14, 2011, 11:40 AM   #17
wogpotter

Thanks for the heads-up.
I'm headed over there now to register. Please, please don't let it become a "Period Correct Purists & Re-enactors Only" traditional site though.

I appreciate traditional aspects but have seen a couple of similar places become so into "PC, hc & no farbs" that they don't hold interest for someone like me who enjoys shooting C&B & messes about with traditional equipment, but has no interest in reenacting.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”

Last edited by wogpotter; September 14, 2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old September 14, 2011, 12:39 PM   #18
orangello

Here's hoping they also aprove lurkers.
Old September 14, 2011, 12:50 PM   #19
wogpotter

Done, pending approval

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old September 14, 2011, 03:54 PM   #20
4V50 Gary
Staff

So no discussions on evil black rifles converted to single shot, in-line muzzle loading guns will be permitted there?
Old September 14, 2011, 04:57 PM   #21
sewerman

thanx,

i just joined.......

s.m.

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!
Old September 14, 2011, 06:47 PM   #22
Fingers McGee

I'm in

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 14, 2011, 10:27 PM   #23
ZVP

I just joined too!
Since this area is almost void of "Real" BP I am often forced to shoot substitutes and I am going to appreciate this new Forums outlook on the stuff!
So far I have had exactlly one pound of real BP to shoot so I am definatelly in need of an education on the real thing!
ZVP
Old September 15, 2011, 01:03 AM   #24
Hawg

Quote:
So no discussions on evil black rifles converted to single shot, in-line muzzle loading guns will be permitted there?
Nope. We're trying to keep a historical aspect but it's not by any stretch a reenactors/thread counters forum. We allow discussions of brass framed guns and even ROA's. We do not allow discussions of modern guns( with the exception of the Ruger) or smokeless powder.
Old September 15, 2011, 01:57 AM   #25
Bill Akins

Quote:
Hawg Haggen wrote:
We're trying to keep a historical aspect but it's not by any stretch a reenactors/thread counters forum. We allow discussions of brass framed guns and even ROA's. We do not allow discussions of modern guns( with the exception of the Ruger)
Not trying to be a smart Alec here Hawg, but if it is going to be a "non modern", "historical" forum where only Victorian and pre Victorian design black powder guns and replicas thereof are being discussed, then why is the relatively modern, all coil spring, 1950's design, Ruger Old Army being allowed? Would a Ruger Old Army such as this be allowed for discussion?....

In the same vein, if as you said, it allows discussions on brass frame black powder guns there, would discussions on any non modern style design brass frame black powder gun be allowed? Like this brass frame, expanding on the historical Jonathan Browning harmonica black powder, muzzleloading rifle concept?

It's brass framed, and isn't modern, but just an expanding on the old Jonathan Browning harmonica rifle design and it is black powder and a muzzle loader too. Not that I might necessarily post about that one, but since it is brass framed and based on the historical Jonathan Browning black powder muzzleloading harmonica rifles, I am wondering if it qualifies for discussion. I just want to know what qualifies for discussion and what doesn't. And if that one wouldn't qualify for discussion because it was gas operated, what about this manually hand cranked,black powder, muzzleloading, brass frame, harmonica rifle that is based on the historical harmonica pistols and rifles?.....

As I'm sure you're aware, once restrictions are made on what kind of black powder designs can be discussed, without having a 3 inch thick book explaining exactly what can and cannot be discussed, it can quickly become an arbitrary on the spot decision situation not covered under the listed rules, where either admin or the moderators arbitrarily disallow some discussions even though those discussion subjects don't violate the listed rules. In that case members don't really know what they can post and what they can't.

One of the things I really appreciate about the Firing Line black powder forum is that as long as it shoots black powder and or if it is a cowboy style gun, members know it is allowed to be discussed. That's a simple set of rules everyone can easily understand. No possibility of being arbitrary or ambiguity.

I'm seriously not trying to be a smart Alec or split hairs here Hawg.
I just want to make sure I understand the rules before posting there.
I don't want to post anything there I shouldn't nor start out on the wrong foot.

What is traditional and historical, brass framed and allowed to be discussed and not discussed, are going to have to be very specific in the rules to avoid moderation problems.

The reason I posted this for your consideration, was precisely because I don't want to cause any moderation problems and wanted to clearly understand the rules.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; September 15, 2011 at 02:54 AM.