The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 12, 2011, 06:11 PM   #1
Crazy Clay

unusual? Colt marked Nipple Wrench

Hello, I recently acquired this Colt marked nipple wrench / screwdriver. I haven't been able to find another like it on the internet. Can anyone tell me anything about it?

Thanks, Clay
Old September 12, 2011, 10:27 PM   #2
Ideal Tool

Hello, Crazy Clay. Could be part of a cased 2nd. gen. Colt percussion revolver set?
Old September 12, 2011, 10:58 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

Not a 2nd Gen nipple wrench. Looks like a Colt style niple wrench from the Possibles Shop. They list four of these L shaped nipple wrenches that are probably stamped with what they are used on.

http://www.possibleshop.com/s-s-nipple-wrench.html
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 13, 2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Crazy Clay

Thanks for the feedback. I was pretty sure it wasn't from a 2nd generation kit, as there are a lot of photos on the internet of those. But I didn't know for sure. With the Colt name on it, I had assumed it was a Colt product. Looks like I could be wrong at that. I have emailed the Possibles Shop asking if thier item is marked Colt. If it is, that settles that. Again, thanks for the feedback.

Clay
Old September 13, 2011, 12:24 PM   #5
Crazy Clay

Taylors sells one like it, describing it as like the original wrenches provided by Colt's. The wrench sold by Taylors clearly is not marked Colt's in the provided photograph.

http://www.taylorsfirearmsstore.com/product529.html

Clay
Old September 14, 2011, 06:31 PM   #6
Crazy Clay

The Possibles Shop emailed to me that thier similar nipple wrenches are not marked Colt.
Old September 14, 2011, 07:01 PM   #7
zullo74

You probably have an original, antique, terribly rare nipple wrench. Why don't you list it Fleabay with a buy it now price of $1000?