The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old November 9, 2010, 10:01 PM   #26
mapsjanhere

Just one remark, do NOT use Teflon coated muffin pans, the Teflon decomposes below the melting temperature, and the decomposition products are extremely hazardous to your health.
Old November 9, 2010, 10:40 PM   #27
TXGunNut

I don't use any Teflon cookware. The generations before mine may have suffered from choosing aluminum cookware, mine will likely regret using Teflon. Time will tell, I'll use cast iron.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old November 10, 2010, 01:50 AM   #28
grubbylabs

Well I have two options for welding, I can try my stick welder again but I am having a hard time picking that up. Or I can go a few blocks away and use a friends wire feed welder. I am pretty good with a wire feed welder, but I can't seem to use a stick to save my own hind end.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old November 10, 2010, 03:12 PM   #29
HiBC

I'll say first,I have not done this,it is theoretical.If you are going to weld something up,there are two kinds of channel iron.One kind has a significant draft inside the legs.So,if a person took some 1 1/2 or 2 in channel.and chopped it to 4 to 6 in long,with a little taper on the ends,you could gang them side by side,weld flat bar to cap the ends,and have a good ingot mold.
I still like the Lyman.
Anymore,if I can buy a good product that meets my needs at a fair price,my time and trouble to make it,I'd rather make what I cannot buy.
Old November 10, 2010, 04:19 PM   #30
dynamis13

Graphite Molds?

Would the Graphite ingots molds be a good choice for melting down lead? There are some for around $22 on amazon.
Old December 6, 2010, 06:57 AM   #31
Hey_Allen

My understanding of the graphite molds is that they're intended for the precious metals trades.

When I was looking into casting and reading up on the molds, I came across the graphite ones, but I also noticed that they were almost always built to much smaller sizes than the lead casting community uses.

When you're playing with gold or silver, and playing with materials that cost that much, apparently you don't keep all that much on hand...
Old December 6, 2010, 08:14 AM   #32
GP100man

I use angle iron 2" & be sure to make a little draft (angle) on the ends so they will drop out !

You can even get graphite spray from the auto store $ 8-10 & coat em good !

The 2 I welded up I did`nt put a draft on em ,so I took a hammer & knocked a draft in em now they fall out !
Old December 6, 2010, 10:46 AM   #33
snuffy

A buddy of mine owns a fab shop. He had some scrap channel iron, drops from a job. He fabed this one up for something "to do" one day. I told him I would be smelting some range scrap lead, he hauled this out saying "here test this for me, I made it a while back, never used it".

It casts a 2.5 pound ingot, that fits right in my lee 20# pro-20.
Here it is in use. Note the two muffin tins on the bottom of the pic. They're Teflon coated aluminum. They worked just fine, I did not notice any noxious fumes coming from them, AND I survived the smelting session.

Just about anything metal with tapered sides can be used to pour ingots. If you get some tin coated muffin tins, you WILL NOT be able to get the ingots out once you pour hot lead in them. The ingots will solder tight to the steel. I suspect that if you were to spray some graphite type mold release on those tin coated tins, you would be able to use them without trouble.

I got some of this to try to make a stubborn mold release boolits. It didn't help, but would work for a sticky ingot mold.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?