The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 27, 2009, 06:55 AM   #1
Bella

Auto Cleaning?

I have a question for those of you that shoot semi-auto shotguns. How often do you clean it? Asking auto owners around here I have gotten answers that range from every time the guns is used to once a year. The once a year guy shoots every weekend at our trap club. He says that his gun works as well as the ones that are cleaned all the time.

How often do you guys clean your self-loaders?
Old September 27, 2009, 08:46 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

You will be asked what model by those that use auto as gas and inertia guns are totally different.
And you will still get a wide variety of answers...
Brent
Old September 27, 2009, 12:22 PM   #3
RNB65

I clay shoot with a Beretta 391. I wipe down the gas cylinder and inside of the receiver with BF CLP after each range trip to clean off the worst of the residue and keep it lightly lubed. Then wipe down the outside. 3 minutes max and I'm done. I only clean the barrel about once a year. Never have any problems.
Old September 27, 2009, 12:23 PM   #4
bentley998

Cleaning auto shotguns

My Rem 1100 - gas operated 2 boxes/week & known to be sensitive to cleaning - brush the barrel, cleaning magazine tube, check the gas port, condition of the o-ring - after firing -have had one failure to eject in more than 500 rounds with reloads - probably a problem with the reload rather than the gun

Browning A-5 -long recoil operated -between seldom and rarely although this gun is not much used at present
Old September 27, 2009, 02:56 PM   #5
squeak003

sagia-20. when i first got it to get all off the grease off of it......since then.....never.....
Old September 28, 2009, 06:47 AM   #6
oneounceload

I own an 1100 - if it is not cleaned regularly, it will start to get gunked up and slow down to the point the action does not cycle properly
Old September 28, 2009, 12:00 PM   #7
BigJimP

I shoot a Benelli - so its an inertia gun.....and it would probably continue to cycle for many thousands of shells ...but my answer is the same so the type of gun doesn't matter. I clean it every time I shoot it.

Grime and gunk inside a shotgun that builds up is not going to do anything except increase wear. What's the point of shooting it until it quits cycling ...unless you just want to wear out a gun prematurely ???
Old October 2, 2009, 06:18 PM   #8
shortwave

I`m with BigJimP. I clean mine after every outing.
Old October 2, 2009, 06:19 PM   #9
dondavis3

I should and try to clean after every visit to the range or hunting, but I don't always do it.

If hunting and it's wet at all - I always clean & oil well.

Last edited by dondavis3; October 2, 2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old October 2, 2009, 06:30 PM   #10
JWT

All my guns get cleaned after every use. Cleaning them won't hurt them, not cleaning them could have negative affects over time.
Old October 2, 2009, 07:03 PM   #11
pinetree

Beretta 390 here. 12 years old. I will wipe it down doing a field break down about every outing - more for rust than anything else. I do a deep clean once a year or so. A tip a learned re: AR's with mineral spirits and clp is awesome for getting off caked on carbon from my ported choke tube.

I shoot about a case in the dove field and a case upland and a case waterfowling and 2 cases with trap charity shoots and sporting clays a year in my auto.

I clean it as much at I would a pump. My OU is simpler but that third shot is important in the goose field or duck pond. Nothing like a triple of mallards.

I have only dropped my trigger group out once and even then only a wipe down and a blow out. I've only taken the bolt apart once.

My rib is bent and much of the bluing gone - duck and goose hunting is tough on a gun. But, it is 100%.

I love my gun proven in the field and on the course.
Old October 2, 2009, 07:35 PM   #12
oneounceload

Not cleaning it can result in residues left inside that could have some consequences if left unchecked. Secondly, you need to clean your choke tube, otherwise the plastic residue will build up enough to alter your choke constrictions. Also, your choke tube needs to have the threads cleaned and regreased regularly, or the choke can seize inside
Old October 2, 2009, 09:47 PM   #13
DWARREN123

Depends on your gun. Some needs lots of cleaning while some don't. Experiment and see how long yours will go without cleaning. Might surprise you.
Old October 3, 2009, 03:06 PM   #14
LanceOregon

Slip 2000 Gas Piston Parts and Choke Tube Cleaner is wonderful for cleaning both choke tubes and Gas Pistons, typically the two things that get super dirty. Just put them in the jar, wait a few minutes, and they come our sparking clean.

For everything else on my shotgun, I use Shooter's Choice Shotgun and Choke Tube Cleaner. This just eats Carbon build-up alive:

Finally, I use a few sparing drops for Slip 2000 gun lubricant for lubrication.

Old October 3, 2009, 08:07 PM   #15
krimmie

That was like a mini infomercial! Where do I buy?
Old October 5, 2009, 07:38 AM   #16
LanceOregon

A lot of leading firearms products websites carry these products, if your local gun stores don't have them.

Places like:

midwayusa.com

dillionprecision.com

brownells.com

natchezss.com

--