The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2008, 12:23 PM   #1
BLS700

Primer pocket uniforming and flash hold deburring tools

I was searching the internet for a good primer pocket uniforming tool and also a flash hold deburring tool. I found a lot of complaints and very few satisfied customers so I was wondering what companies you all have found to produce quality tools in these fields and where you found them? Did these processes improve accuracy for you? I will be reloading for .308 (primarily) in a Remington 700 SPS-V using (as of right now) Nosler custom brass (which does come flash hole deburred) and CCI primers but I will be trying federal 210M and CCI BR2 primers soon. Thanks for any input you can give.
Old August 1, 2008, 12:40 PM   #2
crowbeaner

I use the Lyman tools, but some people will try to expound on the vagaries of Sinclair, Wilson, RCBS etc. I bought mine eons ago before Lyman saw fit to bring out a brass prep combination/case trimmer setup. The primer pocket uniformer is SLOOOW but does a good job. I chuck mine in my Craftsman cordless drill that has 2 speeds; 350 and 1200 RPM, and use the slow speed. You have to go by feel, and it tales awhile if the pockets have a lot of metal to remove. The flash hole tool is a joy to use; I size, trim, deburr and inspect before I uniform to make sure every case is the same so the uniforming makes them as identical as possible. One pass with the drill and they are done forever. I really like the adjustable stop on the tool as it bottoms on a .223 case, and fits inside larger cases when doing them. I also uniform the flash holes BEFORE primer pocket swaging for the same reasons; identical cases.
Old August 1, 2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Loader9

Another Lyman user here. Yeah, it's a little slower but you only do it once to a piece of brass so it's time well spent IMO. I also check flash holes with a .080 drill from the primer side just to make sure.
Old August 1, 2008, 05:06 PM   #4

Sinclair
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old August 2, 2008, 08:20 AM   #5
dardascastbullets

I have used a Sinclair flash hole deburrer and a Wilson primer pocket reamer for decades. Had absolutely zero problems with either. They are several other manufacturers of the tools - it's really which one you buy first becomes your favorite.
Old August 2, 2008, 09:21 AM   #6
Ruger4570

I prefer to use a RCBS swaging tool, it removes no metal and simply"moves" the brass to the correct size. It works great on military crimped cases.
Old August 2, 2008, 12:54 PM   #7
UGH

I use the Lyman tools also. Never a problem
Old August 2, 2008, 02:39 PM   #8
rg1

I use a Possum Hollow primer pocket uniformer. It's a hand tool only and the 1/2 hex body won't fit into a 1/2 chuck on a hand drill. It's a good tool though and not expensive. Plus it has large and small cutters.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=445053
Old August 2, 2008, 05:11 PM   #9
lll Otto lll

Sinclair...
• made from solid tungsten carbide
• no set-screws to mess with
• can be chucked in a ½" drill
Old August 3, 2008, 11:39 AM   #10
Shoney

I've used the Lyman Flash Hole Deburring tool for many years. Since I have never used any other, I have no way to compare it with others, but I am well satisfied with it.

In 48 years of reloading, I have found that cleaning primer pockets is a waste of time. When fixing the military crimp on primer pockets, I find a swage tool to be much more effective than a reamer.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old August 3, 2008, 12:44 PM   #11
wncchester

"I found a lot of complaints and very few satisfied customers so I was wondering what companies you all have found to produce quality tools in these fields "

As suggested above, all of the tools commonly available do good work when used correctly. Most often the complaints about a tool are from a lack of understanding or misuse, not a tool defect.