The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old June 10, 2008, 08:53 PM   #1
fisherman66

new look?

Is it just me, or is there an ever so slightly different look to the forum? I can't even say what it is, but it just looks different.
Old June 10, 2008, 09:01 PM   #2
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

You are correct. The most noticeable change is the missing horizontal line in the links header (in between Forum Rules and User CP).

You'll also notice a "Tags" window at the bottom of each thread page. This allows the OP to assign up to five keywords to the thread for ease of searching. Subsequent posters to the thread can add tags too.

The jury is still out as to whether or not this feechur is worth keeping. The new software has some technical interface issues as well. Staff is having to adjust to a lot more changes than the average bear.
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old June 10, 2008, 09:09 PM   #3
fisherman66

Well, since I'm so observant I think I should have all my votes count twice on any poll.

Can you tweak the software to do that???
Old June 10, 2008, 09:35 PM   #4
tplumeri

the public profile page is different too!

Quote:
I should have all my votes count twice on any poll
just do what i do, vote repeatedly!
Old June 11, 2008, 07:43 PM   #5
Shane Tuttle
Staff

New Features on TFL???

When I logged in today it somehow kicked me over to my user CP. The format was a bit different and I happened to see other little items that I may have missed all this time:

There's a "friends" list, "tags" at the bottom of some pages and "edit tags".

While I find this as a welcome to some minor changes, I'm REALLY computer illiterate and wanted some input.

What good is the friends list? I ask not to think it's useless. I'm asking HOW others use it so that I may take advantage of it.

Also, the "tags" and "edit tags"....how can I make use of them?

And another thing....who all likes the "new" format?

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old June 11, 2008, 08:00 PM   #6
kristop64089

Thank you, I hate change without warning, or explanation.
Old June 12, 2008, 09:06 PM   #7
tyme
Staff

There is a section for both "tags" and "friends" in the FAQ, which you can find from the menu bar.

Board FAQ -> General Forum Usage
contains a section on tags

Board FAQ -> User Profile Features
contains a section on friends

By the way, if either or both confuse you horribly, don't use them and don't worry about them.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old June 13, 2008, 07:10 PM   #8
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
By the way, if either or both confuse you horribly, don't use them and don't worry about them.
First, I didn't know that my thread got merged, so the desired answers may not be the same as mine. Actually, I think I made my point VERY clear.

What pisses me off is, a Staff member no less, makes a consescending remark such as this. If you're really so inclined to even think to make this statement, how about talking to the fellow staff members to consider not even having this feature on the site if you're not patient enough to educate a member on how to use them?

Quote:
The jury is still out as to whether or not this feechur is worth keeping. The new software has some technical interface issues as well. Staff is having to adjust to a lot more changes than the average bear.
It isn't if the above said will happen in the future...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting