The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2000, 10:25 AM   #1
Bandito

I've gotten conflicting opinions on this so looking for MORE opinions

Do you normally use load data for lead bullets of similar weight and apply that to loading electroplated bullets or do you use jacketed bullet load data?

------------------
Rick
"The incognito Bandit at work"
Old October 25, 2000, 03:14 PM   #2
Reg

Use starting loads for jacketed bullets.
Old October 25, 2000, 04:45 PM   #3
KilgorII

I have always treated them as jacketed bullets. 4.3 grains of Tight Group for 9mm 115 grain RN. This is not a really hot load and I have never seen any problems with it.

Old October 25, 2000, 08:17 PM   #4
Guy B. Meredith

The copper plated bullets seem to be in between jacketed and lead. You can use a heavier lead load or min jacketed load to start.

Rainier has data on their site for two or three brands of powder. I find these 'way light for the 158 gr RNCP West Coast Bullets I use with a taper crimp. I would be interested in comments on how to get the performance with less powder.
Old October 26, 2000, 04:33 PM   #5
Calif Hunter

I've always just used the jacketed bullet data in .45 acp, .38 spl, .357 mag, .41 mag and .44 mag. The only loads that might have been considered "hot", though, were the magnum loads with W-296 or H-110. There aren't any light loads, really, with those two powders. I never noticed any problems or particularly dirty bores or poor accuracy to indicate that there were any problems. Since the majority of my handgun shooting is at an indoor range, I gave up on those powders due to roar and blast and went back to Blue Dot, Herco, Unique, 2400, etc.
Old October 27, 2000, 07:00 AM   #6
HowardK

I just posed the same question to Berry's yesterday. The answer was use load data for lead bullets.
Old October 27, 2000, 01:14 PM   #7
KODB

I agree with using the jacketed data and conservatively working up. I've had good sucess with this and have not seen any pressure/OP problems. Hodgon has some data in their manuals for 9mm that I've tried and has worked well.

Regards,
Bob
Old October 28, 2000, 01:59 PM   #8
jtduncan

I've used them both and have always had great accuracy with the starting point for the FMJ specs.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG