The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 22, 2005, 06:18 PM   #1
The Bishop

CZ Shotguns - How Good Are They?

Was just given a brand new CZ .410 "BobWhite" side by side. It is one beautiful little gun! Case hardened, blued, good wood, and tight action.

Any one have any experience with CZ shotguns?

The Bishop
Old December 23, 2005, 02:02 AM   #2
David Berkowitz

If it is one of the ones CZ currently imports from Turkey, you have a well made shotgun.
It is made in a co-op factory in Huglu. There are essentially two lines that come from there. The fancy and gingerbread ones are imported by DeHahn, the field grade ones are imported by CZ.
These are all very well made on modern machinery, but the engraving is done by hand.
Don't let "Made in Turkey" fool you. You have a fine value in a shotgun.
It should give you many years of service.
The key thing is, you have to go shoot it and enjoy it. They just hate being kept in the safe.

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Old December 23, 2005, 02:37 AM   #3
exoduster16

David - I thought that all guns hate being kept in the safe? LOL.
Remington Model 11-87 12 guage
Remington Model 870 Express 12 Gauge w/18.5 in. barrel
And plenty of ammo for all of them
Old December 23, 2005, 06:19 PM   #4
The Bishop

David, Thanks for the reply

Yes, The one I have is marked HUGLI on the barrels, imported by CZ,and is made in Turkey. Even though this is not the fanciest grade, the engraving is incredible!

The Bishop
Old December 23, 2005, 08:52 PM   #5
kudu

I have basicaly the same gun, imported by Armsco, CZ bought the rights to import them starting in 2005. Mine shoots quite well, but the trigger is horrible, at about 9#'s. I have been working with it off and on whenever I decide to get it out and shoot it. I have put about 500 rounds through it this year, it shoots very tight patterns, and is very well regulated for point of impact with slugs. I have had 1 25 straight with it on the skeet field and a whole bunch of 23's and 24's, not too bad considering the trigger and the equivalent of full chokes. It's beginning to loosen up, hope it will withstand hard use.
Old December 24, 2005, 01:14 AM   #6
David Berkowitz

Exoduster,
I have a couple of safe queens.
A few I take out occasionally, clean and fondle them , and return to the shelf.
One or two just sit there because, well, because I thought I was getting a bargain when in fact, it was the other guy that did well.

You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Old December 24, 2005, 01:24 AM   #7
Wildalaska

Quote:
It's beginning to loosen up, hope it will withstand hard use.
Unfortunately it wont.

Turkey still has a way to go before it joins in the premium metallurgical world

WildsorryaboutthatAlaska
Old December 26, 2005, 02:48 PM   #8
larryw

Hmm, mine (a Redhead o/u, not SxS) has several thousand rounds of heavy trap loads put through it over the last two months and sill locks up tight. A buddy (who buys his shot by the ton) has one with an order of magnitude more rounds through it, and it's still tight. It looks to me like the Turkish metallurgy is on par with their walnut.

They're a bit tight when they're shipped and smooth up nicely with early use; once that's done, they stay solid.

Only downside is (I'm told, I know of nobody who actually had this happen, but some have a firend of a friend...) the firing pins break, but (I'm also told...) CZ is great about shipping replacements. As it's a shotgun and not a bullseye pistol, the tad heavy trigger with no creep and a very positive reset is not a handicap.

There's a reason they're hard to get, and it's not because CZ is limiting the imports.

I wrote a bit about mine on another board.
Old December 26, 2005, 10:31 PM   #9
David Berkowitz

Wild,
I sure hope you're wrong.
I have a trap model That I have used for about a year, 100 rounds per week. That would be 5,000 rouinds. Is it as tight as it was new? No way, but it still locks perfectly, now mechanical problems, and certainly no mechanical integrity issues.
I have every confidence inthis gun.
Mine is not a CZ import, but they stand behind anything you get from them.

Bishop, since you already have it, take it out and shoot it, then give us a report.