The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 28, 2005, 06:15 AM   #1
BigSlick

BHN rating and leading ???

Hi guys,

It's time to restock my meager shelves.

Looking to try a few cast bullets from popular mfrs offerings. I see BHN ratings all over the map along with many statements 'our bullets will not lead your barrel'.

OK, great. That's just what I want.

I always thought (maybe in error) that lower BHN numbers were more apt to lead a barrel if driven to levels of 1000-1200 fps depending upon who you believe.

Higher BHN levels were less apt to lead a barrel, but according to some the lower BHN bullets benefit from obturation. I'm not certain I have seen convincing evidence that obturation benefits a particular load, or if it even happens/exists at all at handgun velocities.

I am getting back into casting my own here shortly, but decided to do a few test runs using other peoples cast bullets to get a feel for bullet design and BHN before I shop for molds.

Leadheads from ProShootPro get pretty good reviews as does Northeastern Bullet Company and others.

I have been searching around and found there are a number of offerings that come with the options of being lubed with grease (only) or grease with moly. I have seen lot's of debate over moly, but have never ventured there.

I don't want to sound like another 'who's best' question here, but what do you guys use ?

Ideally, I would like to find a bullet for 45 ACP and 500 S&W to start with since that's mostly (mostly) what I will cast. An option that eliminates or keeps leading to a minumum would be great. I am initially looking to find something for the 45 ACP in either 200 SWC or 230 RN, the 500 ideally will be LFN in the 400-440gr range. Gas checks will work if necessary, but that's another step in rolling your own.

I plan to drive the 45 ACP to 850-950 fps and the 500 S&W upwards of 17- 1800 fps (depending upon the bullet weight).

Can some of you guys point me in the right direction ? I am hoping to find something that fits from a mfr, then do my best to duplicate the bullet with my own setup.

Economy is a factor, but at this point I know whatever I come up with will cost less if I cast them instead of buy them.

Just looking to be brought out of the dark ages here

Thanks

BigSlick
Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.