The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 20, 2005, 02:41 PM   #1
Tacoma

Reloading buckshot

Since I'm all set up for reloading anyway, I was thinking that I would reload some 2 3/4" mid level buckshot loads for practicing /toying with my Win 1300 HD pump gun. I'm thinking along the lines of 1.25 oz of 0 shot at 1125 +/- FPS or so. Although I've got plenty of experience with trap/skeet/clays loads, I was wondering if there were special requirements for loading the larger pellets. ( Seems to me I remember seeing 00 pellets packed in some sort of media in a shell I tore up once.) Any help, cautions or insight welcome.
Old June 20, 2005, 03:45 PM   #2
m0ntels

Get Lyman's shotgun loading manual?

I havent loaded any buck yet, but I've spent some time reading on it. Some loads call for buffer, some dont, some need under/overshot cards. You also have to stack the pellets in the hull one by one by hand so they all fit in, it isnt just a drop like for bird shot. Without peeping my book, that's about all I can tell you. I just started loading shotgun a month ago, and I dont have much practical use for buck so I havent gotten around to fooling with it yet but look forward to in the next couple months.

Randy
Old June 20, 2005, 04:12 PM   #3
sm

Since you are familar with loading shot shells , all you really need to do is follow the directions of a Published recipe and/or those of Mfg of components.

At one time I had grex buffering , such as Win uses. I have used Farina, Malto Meal , Flour, and Grits as buffer as well.

I weighed the shot, then added whatever buffer to stay in safe levels. Remove shot and weigh whatever "buffer" I used. I made notes, weighed often, added the shot by hand and the buffer by hand make your own dippers for each type of buffer material.

If can secure some copperplated hard shot, with a buffer is best IMO/ IME

Also call Win, Fed, Rem if need. I was able to get some great advice over the phone from Win and Fed at the time.

Safety, go slow, check thrice and then check again, make notes and mark shells to know what is what.

Have fun!
Old June 20, 2005, 04:21 PM   #4
Leftoverdj

BPI has a guide or two out to loading buckshot and they also have the odds and ends you will need. I'd take a long hard look at the buckshot section in the Lyman Shotshell manual before I bought it to make sure it has been updated for current components. My older edition is nigh on to worthless. Some of the powder makers gimme booklets have a few loads.

Matching factory performance is close to impossible. Good buckshot loads take built up wad columns and buffering and there just is not enough data and components easily available. Use of a shotcup reduces the possible pellet count.
Old June 21, 2005, 07:26 AM   #5
Tacoma

Thanks Gents, I don't have the lyman manual but do have a pile of the freebies and a Lee. ( Yes, I know to be religious in following a recipie. I've seen teh results of those who didn't. :rolleyes ) Guess it's time to get a new manual. Worse case, maybe I'll drop down to some #2 shot and just load some traditional game loads.