The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 8, 2002, 02:05 AM   #26
Guyon

Mine is stored "ready to go."

Cruiser ready, that is. First two shots are #6 birdshot. After that follow four Estate SWAT 00 Buck. On the sidesaddle are two 00 Buck and two slugs (just in case).

Exact location is on a need to know basis. If you need to know, then it'd be the last thing you know.
Old December 8, 2002, 05:25 PM   #27
MDB

Winchester 1300 Defender 1 in the pipe, 12 more in the tube. Those 1 3/4 Mexican shells work great in the Winchester.
Old December 9, 2002, 10:38 AM   #28
CMichael

I recently changed how I store my Persuader. I now keep it in the closet with a sheet covering it. My closet is so messy it will be hard for anyone to find

I keep the magazine full, the chamber empty, and the safety on.

Michael
Old December 10, 2002, 12:51 PM   #29
Kobra

20" rifle sighted 870, within easy reach, 00, full mag, empty chamber, safety on.

I found a nice M1 preban hardly used for $599 Saturday which is very tempting.
Old December 10, 2002, 06:14 PM   #30
CZ Gunner

In the corner ...

"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -- Vegitius, c. 375 AD
Old December 11, 2002, 09:10 AM   #31
baja

Question about keeping mag full.
I have an rem 870 with extended mag that holds 7 shells. side saddle that holds 6, buttstock holder that holds 6, and a sling that holds 9 shells. I keep it handy--very handy!
I'm wondering if keeping tha magazine full all the time will weaken the spring and cause problems. I haven't had the gun long enough to have a problem, but I'm thing about long term.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

"I'm not going to change my ways to please you or appease you." - KoRn
Old December 11, 2002, 05:16 PM   #32
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Baja,one of my 870s has been kept one below capacity most of the time since about 1980. Same spring, no glitches. If it's worrisome, spend $5 or less every leap year for a new spring.

One caveat, that sling will slow you down when it's swinging with that weight back and forth. Try a few fast COFs with and without if you doubt me.
Old December 14, 2002, 02:38 AM   #33
Mark Benningfield

Hello All.

I keep a Mossberg 500A "right where I can git at it" with 1 in the pipe, safety on, 5 in the tube, and 5 on the buttstock. 000 Buckshot. No tykes around anymore. The kids have all shot it enough to know it's a real hellraiser, and they know right where it's at and how to use it. Besides, I also don't much like the idea of a slide-rack giving me away. Around here, breaking in somebody's house is a damned fine way of getting killed, and figuring that the BG is too stupid to know that and that he's not prepared is a pretty good way too.

NRA, GOA, KABA
Old December 14, 2002, 05:10 AM   #34
ezo4

I used to keep my mossberg 500 pistol grip loaded all the time by my bed. 7 shot and 0000 buck alternating.

I had it that way for over ten years. Now its taking a long disserved break in my safe. The safety is broke and its been loaded to the hilt for a long time. It still functions great after being loaded for years. Its still a favorite for HD.

I just keep a revolver out these days with a few speed loaders. And it comes with me when I leave my place.