The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 11, 2002, 07:40 PM   #1
JiminCA

Need a 357 Sig Load

I will be starting to load 357 sig shortly. I have some Hornady 124 gr jacketed flat point bullets. Will be loading on a Dillon 550 with Dillon carbide dies, using the dillon spray lube.

Powders in my cabinet include Win 231 and AA#5. I suspect there may be a load for AA#5 but I'd bet #7 or #9 is more appropriate. I can go out and buy another powder if that's what it takes.

Whatever the case, I'd like to duplicate factory velocities of 1300-1350 fps. I do have a chrono.

I have some Win brass, some Federal, and some Remington, as well as some of the Midway once fired Speer stuff. Anything I should know about the different headstamps?

Thanks in advance for your replies. OAL, and recipe will really help me. I'd also appreciate any tips on reloading the round - crimp, headspace, etc. as this is my first run at a round with a shoulder (other than .223 and 30-06).

Jim

Last edited by JiminCA; May 11, 2002 at 09:43 PM.
Old May 11, 2002, 11:28 PM   #2
Chemistry

My favorite recipe:

124 grain Hornady FMJ-FP bullet
8.3 grains Alliant Power Pistol (8.6 grains max)
Any standard small pistol primer (Winchester, CCI, Remington, Federal, Fiocchi Leadless)
COAL = 1.140"
Crimp to 0.379-0.380"

I suggest this light to moderate crimp because if you try to crimp a hard jacketed bullet too tightly, you get bullet setback without any real force. Also, when you bell the case neck, expand it as little as possible. This will help ensure that you have sufficient neck tension.

I use a stronger crimp (0.377") when I use the softer plated bullets. In fact, I prefer using the softer plated bullets, mostly for economical reasons. West Coast, Rainier's, or Berry's 124 TCJ-FP bullets all work very well.

Regardless of what bullets I use, I always pinch the cartridge between my thumb and forefinger (as a piano player, I have strong fingers). If the COAL doesn't change after my hard pinch, then I know it's good to go.

If you use Federal primers, they are going to get flattened with this cartridge, even though the load is not over pressure.

Be aware, that Alliant Power Pistol-loaded 357 Sig cartridges are going to make a very loud BLAM when you fire it.
Old May 12, 2002, 04:50 PM   #3
pilon

If you reload rifle cartidges than you will have no problem.

The thing to allways keep in mind is bullet setback.

AA#9 is a good powder to start .357 reloading experience.

Check the guru:

http://petej55.home.mindspring.com/
Old May 13, 2002, 03:49 PM   #4
JiminCA

guys: thanks for the responses. Pete's site is fantastic. Everything I need. And the crimp response from Chemistry should help. That's all I need. Several hundred rounds with a setback problem! Did that once with 40 SW with not enough crimp! Once was enough.

Jim