The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 11, 2017, 09:09 AM   #26
Aussie Gun Lover

For under $1300 you can get a dedicated LR rifle like the Ruger Precision Rifle in .308 or 6.5CM which is an awesome price for a rifle with those features. Top it with something like a Vortex HS 6-24x50 scope for around $600 and you will have a formidable LR combo that has no problem shooting accurately out to 1000 meters for under $2K http://www.ruger.com/products/precis...le/models.html
Old March 3, 2017, 12:42 PM   #27
Don Fischer

I can't imagine anything from 243 on up that wouldn't work! Jim Carmichael got credit for developing the 260 Rem, he developed his version just for shooting 1000 yard match'es. His idea was a cartridge with light enough recoil to shoot long strings without recoil bothering you. Long range to me seem's to be much more about shooting than ballistics. My understanding about competitive shooting is different cartridges become popular when someone wipes your eye with it theey it does a lot of winning because everyone has one. Not to discount ballistics but competative shooting is mostly about shooting!
Old March 3, 2017, 01:09 PM   #28
handlerer2

I own and reload for 340WBY, 300WBY 223, 44mag, and more recently 6.5-284. No one has mentioned it so I will.

Owning and shooting the WBY mags, I like to try 2-3 loads at a time, I started suffering after 9 rounds or so.

I had read a lot about the 6.5's and a lot about the 6.5-284. I was impressed that it is ballistically identical to my 300WBY. After shooting either of the WBY rifles my 6.5-284 feels like shooting a rimfire. Of coarse my rifle is not a sporter type rifle. My rifle, a cooper MDL 22 is a varmint rifle in a chambering that will kill a moose. It was a Valentine gift, how sweet!

I see that not many makers offer rifles in 6.5-284. I saw mine at Scheels in Billings, and said to my wife, " Isn't that sweet?"

I have nearly retired the WBY's. Shooting the Cooper is a honeymoon.
Old March 3, 2017, 08:59 PM   #29
cw308

6.5 Creedmoor.
Old March 4, 2017, 07:11 AM   #30
Mobuck

For the "average" guy, it's hard to beat the .308. Plenty of OTC ammo choices and quite easy to handload. Wide variety of rifles for every budget/interest.
Get a rifle with a 24"(or longer) barrel and some weight to it. HOWA is at the top of my list for aesthetics and performance. Savage is a good starting point, BUT it may take quite a while to get the bore smoothed up to shoot well. Remington is a ?? in light of many current complaints. The rest are just "toss them in a sack and shake one out" IMHO.
$1500 is a decent budget if you don't waste too much on expensive "stuff" that really doesn't improve your package.
Old March 5, 2017, 03:35 PM   #31
hooligan1

.26 Nosler, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 saum, are some dandy 6.5's.
If it were me, Id opt for something with a 6.5 bullet, proba ly the Creedmoor.
Old March 25, 2017, 06:44 PM   #32
roarshock

6mm BR ( Norma version) deserves a nomination if you're not going over 600 yds often on windy days. Easy to load and shoot. Extremely accurate and gentle on barrel. 6,5 x55 is superb as mentioned for truly long range and much better ballistics than 308. It pays to go AI. Brass stretches a lot less. You don't need the extra capacity at all. Which leads into 6.5 Lapua, the newest magic bullet that combines the best advantages of the 2. None of these burn through barrels like a 6.5-284, one of the most expensive to shoot.

Last edited by roarshock; March 25, 2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old March 25, 2017, 07:13 PM   #33
Tinbucket

long range caliber

Mossberg makes a rifle in .300 winchster and maybe some other magnum calibers for under 500.00 list price, with walnut stocks.
The only reason magnum chamber length matters is high capacity high velocity cartridges use longer cases.
I would sell the 22 inch barrel which is redundant in a magnum caliber and have a 28 inch or even30 inch barrel installed.
The reason is as all long range match shooters use the longer barrels to burn hand fulls of very slow powder and get maximum velocity, flatter trajectory, and increased accuracy, from the higher velocity and somewhat heavier bullets they shoot. They all load their own rounds.
Don't expect 10,000 rounds from one the barrels under such demands.
Some shoot stainless barrels. Stainless moves with heat more than chrome moly though. there are things I don't know a bout it and perhaps heat treating stainless is now better. Almost all us cut rifling which enhances accuracy.
Hammer forging moves the metal around a lot and is softer steel.
Most barrels are soft though with sulfur and lead, in the mix, for easier machining and smother machining finish.
A cut rifle barrel of good chrome moly is perhaps the most accurate.
A custom barrel will cost you 500.00 -700.00, installed and finish reamad and gauged, with long throat, just based on my shopping for a replacement barrel for a Weatherby
That is the reason they make more barrels.
the idea that you can shoot a mild cartridge with a rainbow trajectory, at thousand yards won't win any matches. The big magnums with big bullets and high velocities, out of long barrels, with big charges ,of necessary powder, have enough arc as it is.
Barrel life I have my own idea of a 32 inch cut rifle barrel, with chrome bore and chamber.
Maybe Dura Bore Coat would signifigantly lengthen barrel, life as it is designated to do that. I haven't heard any reports on it

Last edited by Tinbucket; March 25, 2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old March 26, 2017, 06:06 AM   #34
Siggy-06

.270 Winchester will do 500+ easy. Or the old reliable 30-06. Easy to find calibers and not expensive either. Lots of bolt actions chambered in them too.
Old March 26, 2017, 12:14 PM   #35
Don Fischer

Hate to say this but if you look on the flap of a 22 LR you'll see they carry over one mile! Are you a good enough shooter to use that?
Old March 26, 2017, 01:46 PM   #36
roarshock

I shot service rifle at 1000 a few times. Not recommended. 80 grain Sierras look like mortar rounds dropping in. 308 is marginal itself at that range and only persists to mimic "sniper rifles", but there are lots of organized matches to keep it alive; Palma making the most of the challenge inherent with 308. If you can find a 223 in 7 - 8 twist, it will be fine for 600 with heavy bullets. It won't catch the 6BR's, but cheap and easy to shoot. Plenty of factory ammo too like 308. Reliable load data just as available. Much easier on your shoulder, and fun. Honestly, 200 yards is enough challenge at first. There aren't many places you can shoot farther and learn anything besides. You don't want magnum anything if you care to enjoy the sport.