The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 1, 2014, 02:14 PM   #1
Roland Thunder

Shooting glove

I recently came to the realization that one of the reasons I have not been able to shoot accurately with any consistency is that I haven't been holding the gun tight enough. I know this contradicts what some instructors teach but I have noticed that if I squeeze the gun really tight, I shoot more accurately.

That said, are there any types of shooting gloves available that make it easier to hold a gun tighter.
Old July 1, 2014, 02:22 PM   #2
BarryLee

I like the perforated gloves from Mechanix. They’re not overly padded and the perforations help to keep your hands cool. Buy them from Amazon and save a few bucks.

http://www.mechanix.com/tactical/the...al-vent-covert
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 1, 2014, 03:20 PM   #3
MrBorland

Old July 1, 2014, 04:23 PM   #4
fdf

"I recently came to the realization that one of the reasons I have not been able to shoot accurately with any consistency is that I haven't been holding the gun tight enough. I know this contradicts what some instructors teach but I have noticed that if I squeeze the gun really tight, I shoot more accurately.

That said, are there any types of shooting gloves available that make it easier to hold a gun tighter".

Guns, are you referring to a rifle, pistol or shotgun? Need to be specific as to the type, they are like women, they are all different.

A very firm grip with a pistol makes a definite difference. You can put a death grip on a gun and still be a poor shot.

In all honesty, a glove is not going to increase your hand strength, your muscles define strength, A glove might help in being able to grip it better. Maybe a tool to increase your hand strength might help, but I doubt it.

Go back to basics and learn to shoot, that is the secret to shooting, no silver bullets exists to being a good shot.

Dry firing is the answer along with practicing.

Shooting is mental, nothing else.
Old July 1, 2014, 04:26 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

Back in my recoil junkie days, I used golf gloves to shoot my .44 Mag. I just bought golf gloves and cut out the trigger finger. That was some 30 years ago. I'm sure there's something more purpose-suited now days. But the golf gloves definitely worked.

Last edited by Nick_C_S; July 1, 2014 at 07:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old July 1, 2014, 04:33 PM   #6
fdf

"Back in my recoil junkie days, I used gloves to shoot my .44 Mag. I just bought golf gloves and cut out the trigger finger. That was some 30 years ago. I'm sure there's something more purpose-suited now days. But the golf gloves definitely worked"

Some folks are using golf gloves and some are using gloves used by bicycle riders. We all are different, I do not like gloves for shooting, they are crutch as I see them.
Old July 1, 2014, 05:55 PM   #7
old bear

These days the MAIN reason I shoot is to maintain my self defense abilities. I really don't think I would have time to put on a shooting glove if the real deal comes along. So no shooting gloves for me. As others have said work on building up your muscles and continue to work on your basics.

I don't think it's necessary to death grip your firearm to become an accurate shooter.
Old July 1, 2014, 06:43 PM   #8
NateKirk

A lot of people seem to be against wearing gloves. I'm not one of them though; Not only does it eliminate the sweaty palm issue, but if you are one who likes to wear gloves then you will probably be able to get into a firmer, better, and more comfortable grip while wearing them.

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old July 1, 2014, 07:48 PM   #9
mete

A firm grip [but not a death grip ] is necessary .Otherwise POI will always change.You may also checker the front and back straps.This checkering is best if it's "Flat top checkering"
Old July 1, 2014, 10:11 PM   #10
rdtompki

Talon grips (or similar) might help if your handgun is not already so equipped.
Old July 2, 2014, 01:09 AM   #11
waveslayer

Dry fire a lot and a good trigger press. Then some rubber grips for your sweaty hands
Old July 2, 2014, 05:07 AM   #12
Brit

Posted by Old Bear. Below, good one.

Quote:
These days the MAIN reason I shoot is to maintain my self defense abilities. I really don't think I would have time to put on a shooting glove if the real deal comes along. So no shooting gloves for me. As others have said work on building up your muscles and continue to work on your basics.

I don't think it's necessary to death grip your firearm to become an accurate shooter.
If you need to draw to protect life? The Death Grip will be there, trust me!
Old July 2, 2014, 08:55 AM   #13
45Gunner

Squeezing a gun so tight that it makes you tremor or white knuckled is not really going to improve your marksmanship. You didn't mention what type of gun but assuming a pistol, your strong or shooting hand should be firmly wrapped around the front strap and the web of that hand should be high as possible into the beaver tail. Your support hand should wrap around the shooting hand and the heels of both hands should join up. The majority of pressure should be applied to the front strap and to the rear strap of the gun with the side panels having a slight to no pressure on them. That will control the arc of movement produced by the gun. Are you shooting with the dominant eye? Do you know how to determine which eye is dominant?

I'm not really a fan of using gloves to shoot unless one has particularly sweaty hands or your skin is so sensitive that the gun will beat it up.
NRA Life Member
Old July 2, 2014, 09:59 AM   #14
jag2

I bought a glove last winter (golf or batter, don't remember) just to keep my hand warm during those cold days but I'm actually using it now a lot because my hands get pretty sweaty when it's hot and humid. Shooting a couple of hundred pistol rounds in the heat can be a challenge. I highly recommend trying it out.
Old July 2, 2014, 09:26 PM   #15
Brit

Not sure if I mentioned it before, but my hands, and feet don't sweat.

And shiny dry hands is not good either, but my Glock RTF G19 works fine.
Old July 5, 2014, 05:51 PM   #16
Nanuk

Grow stronger.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old July 6, 2014, 05:52 PM   #17
Bezoar

sounds like someone needs new grips. my new gun is slightly thinner in some spots then id like but i still am shooting alright.
by some self defense standards, if i REDUCED my range to 15 yards, and kept the same shooting speed and groups, id be GODlike.

gloves MIGHT help you. I have thought about it before myself. I tried buying a pair of uncle mikes padded shooting gloves. they sucked. .25 inch thick padding didnt let me feel anything. and they cut off the circulation. Nothing like buying a product that deprives you of everythign critical for safely operating a weapon.

The best advise i saw as far as obtaining accuracy and consistency with a handgun.... or long gun.."

Dont adjust the shooter to the gun. Adjust the gun to the shooter. If the stock is to thick to get a good grip, get a thinner stock.
Old July 7, 2014, 06:28 PM   #18
Glenn Bartley

Quote:
The best advise i saw as far as obtaining accuracy and consistency with a handgun.... or long gun.."

Dont adjust the shooter to the gun. Adjust the gun to the shooter. If the stock is to thick to get a good grip, get a thinner stock
That may be the best advice to someone who is shooting target guns for games in which target shooters engage but that is far from the best, closer to the worst advice I think, that you could give someone who wants to learn to shoot in general - and especially for someone shooting tactically or for self defense. In the case of defensive shooting, you want to be able to shoot any gun at hand proficiently. You don't want to take one gun and make that gun perfect for you because the perfect for you shooting situation is not likely to occur when a bad guy gets the jump on you. In a fight for your life, you may wind up taking a gun away from a bad guy and having to shoot him with it. The whole idea of the gun being suited to you jut got flushed down the toilet. However, if you train to shoot essentially any gun you have made yourself the best shooter you can be without needing to depend on any particular gun to achieve that. This is one of the reasons I recommend that shooters do not ever adjust guns beyond factory specs and that the only adjustments they make themselves are to change the grips and maybe have different sights put on the gun.

One of the basics of defensive shooting is for the shooter to do it right with an out of the box gun. Another way to look at that is that when something goes wrong, it is almost always guy full of excuses who blames the gun and the realist who blames himself and then improves himself instead of trying to blame the gun or the ammo or the gun or the sun or whatever that is not really at fault. With a modern, decent quality defensive firearms, it is rarely is it the gun
that needs the fixing.

All the best,
Glenn B
Old July 8, 2014, 06:57 AM   #19
Qtiphky

No Glove for me

Maybe I'm not correctly thinking this through, but I don't and won't wear a glove for practice as if I am out in the real world and need to draw I sure as heck won't be wearing a shooting glove when the need arises. I do wear hearing protection and 99% of the time some sort of eye protection, but nothing on my hands. If the situation arises, auditory exclusion will kick in and I'm not worried about my hearing.

As for better accuracy, a lot of instructors and books talk about a "crush grip" on the pistol. Grip tightly and squeeze the trigger. In order to do this in practice, you need to strengthen your hand. Dry firing or hand squeeze equipment to increase your grip strength is what is needed.
Old July 8, 2014, 10:41 AM   #20
Jim243

Quote:
That said, are there any types of shooting gloves available that make it easier to hold a gun tighter.
I have never found that a death grip on a rifle ever helped in accuracy, just the opposite. Yes, you want it back into your shoulder firmly but that's about it. I find that I only use a glove on the left hand when shooting my AR's.

For pistol finger control is more important to me so I do not like using gloves. I do own a pair of kevlar mechanics (pit crew) gloves but I only use it during testing of new loads just in case something goes wrong and I need my hands protected from any accidents.

And when hunting when it is cold here (like below freezing) I do use gloves all the time.

All other times, I would rather feel the function of the gun.

Jim

Last edited by Jim243; July 8, 2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old July 8, 2014, 03:48 PM   #21
Bezoar

so if its NOT good to change a hand gun to suit your physical needs, then why does an entire industry exist for the sole purpose of selling new hand gun grips?
Old July 14, 2014, 08:57 AM   #22
kajvid

I have RA. Makes shooting tough sometimes. Grippage being the culprit. I like the Gorilla Grip Gloves. http://gorillagripgloves.com/ They are not padded. What they are is tacky without having crap on them. VERY solid grip and with feel.