The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 23, 2014, 12:26 PM   #1
Huffmanite

cartridge neck thickness in 308

Past weekend, I'd installed a nice Shilen 308 heavy barrel in a Stevens 200 receiver. Barrel was given to me by a fellow range member who'd put a little less than 400 rds thru it. He had no accuracy problems with the barrel, just decided he wanted another cartridge to shoot.

After installing the barrel, happen to have some resized Federal 308 Win brass handy and chambered a number of them, just to see how they felt when bolt closed. Zip problems with them.

However next day, just before leaving for range to shoot the rifle for first time I decided to chamber a few of my reloads, just to check if I didn't have my bullets seated too far out. Well, all the reloads (all with Federal brass) I tried to chamber in the Shilen barreled Stevens got stuck and had to tap them out with a metal rod. But, all these reloads would chamber in my Marlin X rifle 308 with no problem. Assumed the throat in the Shilen was tighter than on my Marlin.

At range was the gent who'd given me the barrel. Said hello to him and then asked him if he'd had the chamber-throat made a little tight in the Shilen barrel. No, he answered, why do you ask? Told him the problem of every Federal brass reload getting stuck in the chamber. We both agreed that Federal probably had the thickest necked brass and that was the problem.

So, when home from the range. I seated bullets in Remington, Winchester, NNY/PPU, Hornady, BHA match brass and tried them. All chambered without a problem.

I've no question to ask. Just thought I'd mention the problem I had.
Old June 23, 2014, 02:03 PM   #2
chiefr

Sounds like you figured it out. I too have experienced thick necks not just with FC brass. I have a reamer for practically every size.
Old June 23, 2014, 02:34 PM   #3
243winxb

308 Winchester Neck Diameter

The story is interesting but of no value unless you measure & post the neck diameter of the Federal loaded round. The cartridge neck diameter may then be compared to SAAMI standards. Maximum neck diameter of a loaded round is .3435" Thank you. http://www.saami.org/specifications_...ex.cfm?page=CC
Old June 23, 2014, 02:35 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Sounds like a good excuse for some outside neck turning, but Federal brass is so soft you can't run loads as warm in it anyway. You do best to have a middling load that's accurate for them, and then they hold up OK.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 23, 2014, 03:35 PM   #5
Huffmanite

Sorry 243, but my digital caliper is broke. So, can't measure the Federal necks.
Old June 25, 2014, 09:45 AM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

While calipers are convenient and needed for longer items, for things like neck OD, bore slugging, bullet diameter, etcetera, you'd do better to own an OD thimble micrometer. I mention this because there's a perfectly serviceable one for $14 + S&H at Enco right now, provided you know to check zero offset and how to read a Vernier scale to resolve tenths of a thousandth.

Also, if you have a Harbor Freight near you and a copy of last month's flier, it had a coupon, good until June 30th, to get a 6" digital caliper for $11.99.

None of these inexpensive tools feels like a high quality tool, but they all seem to function anymore, so if you are on a budget, they make a good substitute for high end gear.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle