The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 11, 2013, 04:54 PM   #1
ebell46

Mauser action identification

Can someone please help me identify this Mauser action. As far as I can tell it is a large ring, beyond that im not sure if it is military or comercial. The only markings are the serial number (p-7xxxx) on the left side and what looks like a small clover or star and 231(?) on the bottom of the recoil lug. It is also drilled and tapped. I will have pictures up by tonight. Thanks for any information!
Old August 11, 2013, 09:21 PM   #2
PetahW

AFAIK, military Mauser's have a generous thumbcut/relief cut into the LH receiver sidewall just ahead of the bolt release; commercial Mausers generally do not - although some commercial Mauser Sporting Rifles have the feature.

Old August 11, 2013, 10:16 PM   #3
ebell46

Thanks PetahW. Here are some photos, it also looks like the right side has been cut to accommodate a turned down bolt. Im starting to think it is a commercial receiver but if anyone has any information as to who may have made it it would be very helpful

Old August 11, 2013, 11:12 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

It appears to be commercial, but not, I think, Mauser. It is probably one of a number of actions, imported in the 1950s from Spain, Yugoslavia or Belgium.

The contrast between the top and the bottom of the action leads me to think that it all looked like the bottom, then someone ground off the rust and pitting and blued the top before drilling and tapping it. With no identification and no way of knowing how much metal was removed in "restoring" it, I would hesitate to use it for anything but a paperweight. In any case, the cost of parts to make a functional rifle would far exceed the value of that action.

Jim
Old August 12, 2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Jimro

Commercial M98 actions were made in Germany (rare, and much more marked with factory information), Belgium (FN, often rebranded for the importer, such as Browning for the Safari Classic line), Yugoslavia (Interarms MarkX, Remington 798, etc), and Spain (Santa Barbara, a few Parker Hale rifles were built on SB actions, as well as the now defunct Golden State Arms rifles).

Does the action have a full C ring in the reciever? Most FN's had a split C ring for ease of manufacture.

If it is from Spain then it is a Santa Barbara action, and they ranged from quite good to pretty bad.

Have a gunsmith test the rockwell hardness, and if it is sufficient I would chamber it in a classic low pressure round like 6.5x55 or 7x57 and enjoy.

Jimro
Old August 12, 2013, 03:47 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

That receiver (not "action"*) appears to have no bolt or any other parts, and is in poor condition. To make it into a functional rifle of any caliber would cost more than a brand new rifle like a medium priced Remington 700. I will say again that it is a paperweight.

*An action is the receiver, bolt, trigger, trigger guard, and magazine parts, in other words all but the stock, barrel and sights.

Jim
Old August 13, 2013, 08:50 AM   #7
PetahW

It looks like you have a commercial Mauser 98-type receiver that was badly corroded - as evidenced by the condition of the bottom, which normally should be almost as smooth as the top.

More bad news is that it could be a cast receiver, and not a forged unit.

A build on it, besides any safety issues, would be (as posted) economically unfeasable (aka: a money pit)- BUT, if you have deep pockets and are determined to use it for a build, should definitely have it professionally tested for hardness & magnafluxed for any internal flaws.

Old August 13, 2013, 12:11 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Some of my concern is that that receiver might not just be rusty from burial or exposure. The rust may have been caused by its having been in a fire at one time, and if so its strength is gone and it would be dangerous to use in any kind of high power rifle.

Its mass remains, though, and since its mass is sufficient to hold down paper in a breeze... oh, I guess I said that.

Jim
Old August 13, 2013, 04:17 PM   #9
ebell46

Thanks for all the info guys! looks like I wont be using this for anything.
Old August 13, 2013, 11:30 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Sorry. I hope you didn't have much invested in it.

Jim
Old August 16, 2013, 12:19 AM   #11
ebell46

Didnt have anything invested in it fortunately!
Old February 3, 2014, 06:38 PM   #12
littlephil

sorry...

Sorry to post on an old(er) thread, but could anyone tell me what the small clover means? I think my uncle may have a 30-06 built on the same type of action and the symbol is the only marking it has other than the numbers. I don't know if its exactly the same symbol as there's no pic of it on the op's receiver but it sounds very similar. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old February 3, 2014, 11:49 PM   #13
RJay

Sorry, not with out a clear picture
Old February 4, 2014, 01:19 AM   #14
gyvel

Edit: The "small clover" looks like an asterisk.
Old February 4, 2014, 03:05 PM   #15
littlephil

That's pretty much what I figured. My guess is that the "clover" which is actually a circle with 3 half circles attached around the outside of it, is a mark put there by a gunsmith who spoterized the gun at one time. There's no thumb slot cut out and the receiver is the same diameter front and back, as in there's no raised portion for the stripper clips, nor is there a slot for them. The reason we were trying to figure out what it was is because he wants to get a different stock for it. So, am I right in assuming that just about any large ring stock will fit it, or are there other variations that were different other than the Yugo m48? Thanks again for any help.