The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 26, 2013, 09:54 PM   #1
redhorse6

Colt Sauer Scope Mounts/Rings? Help

I have a Colt Sauer 30-06 I inherited from my father. This is a great rifle, however it needs new scope mounts and I would like to go with Weaver or a picatinny rail. I have found some Talley mounts (Weaver type, 2 piece), part # 252715. Does anybody have experience rescoping a Colt Sauer or used these parts?
Old January 27, 2013, 01:35 AM   #2
Scorch

Colt Sauer rifles are somewhat uncommon and "old school", and as such do not have a lot of tacticool appeal. If you absolutely gotta have one, you could have a smith machine and drill a blank Picattiny rail, but I would think even the idea of a rail on a classic rifle would make you rethink what you are proposing. Besides, if you need parts fpr the rifle, it's gonna be expensive. Redfield and Leupold list bases for the Colt Sauer. Or you could sell that rifle and buy 2 or 3 Rem 700s for what you would get from it.
Old January 27, 2013, 10:18 AM   #3
PetahW

IMO, A Colt Sauer wearing a Weaver or Pitcanny rail is like Jennifer Love having a wart on her nose..........

Old January 27, 2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Rembrandt

A pitcanny rail on a Colt Sauer would be like blackwall truck tires on a Rolls Royce.

Rings and scope should match the quality of the rifle. Conetrol rings and bases, some of the finest looking rings made.