The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 10, 2012, 06:09 PM   #1
Vireye

Glock Duty Sidearm - Reasonable Size Limit?

Hey all,

Being part of the wealth of information and opinions that is TFL, I bring before you yet another question : P

I hold CCW permits in several states, because at times I work in several states. Recently I've been looking at some armed guard gigs in CT...so I'll be getting my CT Blue Card soon.

Here's my problem...I need to choose one of my weapons to take the class with. I guess the Blue Card actually has my pistol's serial # on it, and THAT is the pistol I have to use on duty.

I have two pistols I could feasibly use for this...My Sig P228R (9mm), and my Glock 30 (.45 ACP).

My Glock is easily my preferred of the two...it's .45 ACP (which I prefer for working the areas I do), it has night sights (Trijicon HiDef).

I also have a TLR-1S that I can potentially use for both.

Seems obvious...except that the Glock is "technically" a Subcompact. I say "Technically" because side-by-side comparison with my buddy's Glock 23 shows negligible size difference other than width. The barrel is also 0.24" shorter in the 30.

I can't really afford a new pistol right now...the course is expensive enough as it is (so getting a Glock 21 is out of the question for now).

I've heard some instances of a Glock 30 being used as a duty sidearm...but these seem rare, likely due to the existence of the 21.

I believe the most notable instance is that Hickok45 reportedly used one as a reserve deputy (I don't know where) before switching to a weapon more compatible with the guy he was riding with.

I guess I'm just looking for opinions. Another factor is I have smaller hands, and the 30 is a perfect fit as opposed to a bigger firearm.
Old October 10, 2012, 06:36 PM   #2
jmr40

I'd not give a 2nd thought to using the G-30 if I were in your place
Old October 10, 2012, 06:47 PM   #3
BrthrB

I have used a Glock 30 in the past and wouldn't hesitate to use one again if given the opportunity!
Old October 10, 2012, 06:53 PM   #4
comn-cents

I'd use the Sig myself but if you are going to use the Glock get some g21 mags for it then buy one of these http://www.gunclips.net/gl29maad.html
Old October 10, 2012, 07:34 PM   #5
NO-BODY

9mm is easier and cheaper on practice ammo. On the job carry means practice with the gun you carry. So I vote 9mm.
Old October 10, 2012, 07:52 PM   #6
hoytinak

We had one of the guys on our PSD carry a G30 (his CCW) with G21 mags for spares for a couple months till he could save up and buy a fullsize gun more suited to duty work....worked fine while he carried it.
Old October 10, 2012, 08:05 PM   #7
Mrgunsngear

Sounds like the G30 is the right way to go. It's a fantastic firearm and was my go to carry gun for 6 years.
Old October 10, 2012, 09:08 PM   #8
lee n. field

Quote:
Seems obvious...except that the Glock is "technically" a Subcompact.
And, what, you're not supposed to use something that "technically" a subcompact.

Dimensions are actually, very close to a G19. I'd use the G30.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 10, 2012, 09:16 PM   #9
Dragline45

Personally I would go with the 228 but I wouldn't hesitate to take the Glock 30.
Old October 10, 2012, 09:36 PM   #10
checkmyswag

Quote:
My Glock is easily my preferred of the two...it's .45 ACP (which I prefer for working the areas I do)
What does this mean?
Old October 11, 2012, 03:07 AM   #11
bamaranger

I'm not sure of the mag capacity of a G30, but "armed guard" sounds alot more serious than personal protection. Like the chance of multiple and well armed attackers could be higher than what one might ponder for personal SD.

For that I'd want the capacity of the P228.
Old October 11, 2012, 05:06 AM   #12
Micahweeks

I did armed guard work in TN. Same thing. The gun on your license is what you must carry. Plenty of people used subcompacts and J frames. If you can qualify, it is fine.
Old October 11, 2012, 06:14 AM   #13
Vireye

@ checkmyswag - Put it this way...the PD's in the area just switched to .45's because they felt "undergunned" with 40's. Couple heavily armed gangs nearby... a gang shooting that occured about two months ago occured with a Glock 18, to give you an idea. It's not that I have a ballistic preference for the .45 so much as the general conception (intimidation, if you will). I think the G30 pointed at you looks a little more frightening that the P228, which could potentially be useful working security.

@bamaranger - the G30 has a capacity of 10 .45 ACP, vs the P228's 13 or 9mm. It's a pretty negligible difference (I never liked that small capacity for a 9mm....) and it's still more than a 1911!
Old October 11, 2012, 06:38 AM   #14
sliptap

Do what makes you feel comfortable. If you like the feel of the G30 and (more importantly), you can accurately shoot with it...then USE IT!

I owned a Glock 30 for a year and it shot very well. FYI, I traded my used G30SF with night sights for a brand new G27 evenly. You might be able to swing that for a G23 or G19 at a local gun show. It might be worth looking in to.

Either way, stay safe and good luck!
If the man in the glass is your friend.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:21 AM   #15
comn-cents

Vireye "I think the G30 pointed at you looks a little more frightening that the P228"

"switched to .45's because they felt "undergunned" with 40's"

I know if someone is pointing a gun at me that .05" or .1mm difference is what makes me stop and think, glad that's only a 40 or 9mm I should be fine.
Silly!
Old October 11, 2012, 09:53 AM   #16
Vireye

There's a reason I put "undergunned" in quotes there

I didn't agree with their assessment, but there it is. As a matter of practice I try to use a weapon of the same caliber as the local PD...heck, one of the towns I work in uses the Glock 21, so I carry the 30 while I'm there so I can even use their mags in a true SHTF scenario.

As far as the muzzle diameter, idk if it's just the Glock vs Sig, but it's DAMN noticeable to me. Yeah, I'd be afraid of either, but something about that .45 barrel...
Old October 11, 2012, 09:53 AM   #17
lee n. field

Quote:
Put it this way...the PD's in the area just switched to .45's because they felt "undergunned" with 40's.
undergunned with .40? The step up is a long gun.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 11, 2012, 10:29 AM   #18
Vireye

Yep...switched from Sig Sauer P226 in .40 to S&W M&P .45's...

citing an increase in gang activity with "heavier weaponry"
Old October 11, 2012, 10:38 AM   #19
allaroundhunter

A .45 will not give you any advantage over a .40 when a gang member is spraying an automatic weapon at you (though it wasn't a Glock 18). I would actually prefer a 9mm in that situation so that I would have more ammo at my disposal.

If the department actually felt undergunned with their P226s, then they should be smart and start issuing ARs as patrol rifles.

Sent from my HTC One X
Old October 11, 2012, 10:45 AM   #20
Vireye

The city is question, since it's readily available via Google, is Bridgeport CT.

PERSONALLY, I had hoped they would go to the Glock. The neighboring cities use Glocks, and Bridgeport's immediate neighbor, Trumbull, issues Glock 21's...

Considering how often BPT assists Trumbull, and vice versa, having cross-compatibility would not be a bad thing, IMO.

And again, that's why I'm leaning towards my G30...being sandwiched between three cities (more or less) two issue .45's (Glock 21 and M&P45) and one issues .40 (Glock 22's).

No one around here, to my knowledge, issues a 9mm anymore...it's all .40 and up, usually Glocks.

I know partially basing my decision on what the local PD's carry probably isn't the best route, but that one nightmare scenario is always lingering in the back of my mind.
Old October 11, 2012, 04:03 PM   #21
checkmyswag

I dont think the size of the hole in the barrel matters at all. I'd be equally concerned if a 125 pound pit bull was attacking me as a 150 pound one. Poor comparison I know.

I think ill stick with my stock answer. Get what you're most comfortable with, shoot the best and will practice the most with.

Training over gear and such.
Old October 11, 2012, 04:07 PM   #22
BGutzman

The Sig may save you some embarassment.... and yes Im teasing..
Old October 11, 2012, 04:10 PM   #23
allaroundhunter

Quote:
I dont think the size of the hole in the barrel matters at all. I'd be equally concerned if a 125 pound pit bull was attacking me as a 150 pound one. Poor comparison I know.
I would be extremely concerned with either of those considering the max weight of a Pit Bull Terrier is typically around 75 lbs...
Old October 11, 2012, 04:19 PM   #24
checkmyswag

^ha^ glad I didn't go with 175 then!

Trying to put myself in an armed guard mind set vs regular concealed carry mentality...I'd want the most rounds in my gun I could have within reason. If whatever the 45 holds is good enough for you quantity wise and you shoot them equally well and will practice equally...I'd get the 45 (especially since that sounds like what you really want). So take the caliber temporarily out of the equation.

Got to stop this post before a 300 pound Rottweiler attacks!
Old October 11, 2012, 10:48 PM   #25
bamaranger

a comfort

Well, 10+1 of .45acp sounds pretty comforting to me. I thought perchance that your model was the single stack 6+1 gun(?).

I've walked line of duty alongside a 7+1, 8+1 Sig for near twenty years now, so if you can shoot it, why not.

BTW, our revolver to auto "transition" pistol was the P228 and I always liked them, but when the chance came to upgrade to .45 acp, I took it. Isn't the P228 12+1??