The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 29, 2005, 11:59 AM   #1
gtomax

unlocked shotgun - good idea or bad?

I live in california, by myself. No chance of small or unknown hands finding my shotgun. I leave it loaded, tang safety on.

The only reason this makes me nervous is what if someone breaks into my home while i'm gone. I come in and they've found my shotgun and are ready to use it against me. But what other choice do I have? Locking it up which means slow response time in case someone decides to come at me when I am home - making the effectiveness somewhat reduced.

Thoughts?
Old December 29, 2005, 12:14 PM   #2
capnrock

here ya go

This is just a thought.

If you have a garage keep one in there, that way if you come home and see suspicious activity in your house, you can "sneek" to your garage.

Just a thought.
Old December 29, 2005, 01:13 PM   #3
DPris
Member Emeritus

Security vs Accessibility is always a balancing act.
You need to make your own decision there.
Might make a reasonable effort to hide the thing where it won't be easily visible, but still relatively accessible, depending on your layout.
Denis
Old December 29, 2005, 01:16 PM   #4
capnrock

Plus I would think that if someone was to break into your home while you were gone wouldnt they possibly have their own gun? Call the cops, LOL.
Old December 29, 2005, 01:18 PM   #5
mgdavis

I'd avoid leaving a gun in the garage. The average garage is not well secured, doors are easy to breach, if you are working in the garage with the door open, then go inside for lunch and somebody wanders in to help themselves to your tools, car, etc. Oh, and ever go to bed and forget to close the garage door?

Get a gun safe, get an alarm system, motion lights, door alarms, whatever that is in your budget. Then USE them. I leave my shotgun by my bed at cruiser ready all the time, and set the house alarm every time I leave.
Old December 29, 2005, 01:43 PM   #6
clusive

Keep the shotgun loaded and ready when you are home and lock it up when you leave the house.
Old December 29, 2005, 02:22 PM   #7
capnrock

well ok

Closing your garage door is pretty easy to remember especially if you are worried about someone breaking in. As far as being secured goes hide it in the garage where no one would find it. To me, thats like asking, "Ever go to bed at night with your front door open"? Obviously not. Having a gun stashed in a secured area instead of under your bed is a great idea if you are away from your home and you run into this problem. I, personally live in the country and have found this to workout great, even if its just a coyote on your porch instead of robber or whatever. Always cover that @#*!!!
Old December 29, 2005, 02:24 PM   #8
Polydorus

Why not take it with you?
Old December 29, 2005, 04:03 PM   #9
gtomax

although slightly labor intensive, i think the lock it up when you leave and unlock it when home would be the best answer. Although my main plan is to simply use a quickly accessible gun safe. Waiting to buy a house before I buy a several hundred pound safe though
Old December 30, 2005, 09:47 PM   #10
Pezo

Quote:
although slightly labor intensive, i think the lock it up when you leave and unlock it when home would be the best answer. Although my main plan is to simply use a quickly accessible gun safe. Waiting to buy a house before I buy a several hundred pound safe though
This is what I would do. keep them loaded when at home and hide them very well when out. My biggest fear is the theft of them when out over the actual need to use them when home.
Old January 2, 2006, 03:08 PM   #11
JohnBrowning

Why not move and get a carry permit? Just kidding, I would just make sure its well hidden.