The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 1, 2006, 07:17 PM   #1
winder

870 problem.

Took my 870 pump 12ga out today to do some squirrel hunting and to my surprise found that after each shot the bolt had moved back a quarter to half and inch by itself and was exposing the shell brass. This is before I attemted to eject the spent casing. It also looks like some damage has been done to the fingernail shaped cut out on the barrel "flange" that goes into the receiver. I'm pretty sure that this is not normal. Any suggestions/thoughts? The gun was purchased last fall brand new and has less than 20 shots through it.
Old January 1, 2006, 08:02 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

All 870s unlock like that. No prob there. Please describe the damage to the bolt lug recess.
Old January 1, 2006, 09:05 PM   #3
tango3065

If you are refering to the LH side action bar mine has a small nick place in it also and any 870 that I have looked at that has been shot also has it.
Old January 1, 2006, 09:20 PM   #4
winder

Bolt lug recess! Thanks for the terminology lesson as I wasn't sure what that notch was called. The damage is a bur on the aft ridge as if a spent casing came back with enough force to create a jagged area. Although, I presume that this is impossible considering its weight after firing. It may just be my imagination but I don't recall it being there before today. It doesn't seem to be a problem. Also thanks for confirming that the 870's unlock like that. That is very reassuring. What is the purpose of unlocking like that?
Old January 1, 2006, 09:56 PM   #5
tango3065

Winder how do you like Florence, I have stayed there a few times. Do you hear a lot of jets?
Old January 1, 2006, 11:00 PM   #6
winder

My wife and I love Florence. She is a Flight Attendant for Delta and yes we are right underneath the flight pattern for one of the n/s runways about 3 miles out. There is nothing better than a cold beer on a hot day watching jets take off and land.
Old January 1, 2006, 11:34 PM   #7
tango3065

last motel I stayed at the I stayed at a motel which the runway had to be right at the end of the runway lol.