The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 19, 2013, 02:43 PM   #1
tahunua001

ok mosin guys, compatibility question.

this is purely an academic discussion but if a feller had a 91/30 mosin nagant and he found a spare M39 stock would it be possible to fit the m39 stock to the 91/30?

I just ask because the M39 has a more ergonomic pistol grip style and is normally much nicer wood. naturally if I had a parts matching M39 and a 91/30 I would not ruin their value by trading wood.
Old September 19, 2013, 03:09 PM   #2
viciouskitty

Well the finnish mosin and the russian mosin have the same receiver. The barrel profile may be different I would have to go home and examine both of mine but I would say that The stocks should interchange with if anything only slight fitting needed. This would be due to variances in manufacturing the mosins them selves.
Old September 20, 2013, 07:20 PM   #3
tobnpr

Barrel profile on the Finn M1939 is much heavier. The rear sight on the 1939 has the barrel placed through it (I've got a stack of 'em)- requiring about 1/8" of inletting into the stock on each side.

So...yeah, it will work as the M39 stock will be inletted "oversize" in the area of the barrel and rear sight. Might look kind of "funky" when done, though. Remember the 91/30 barrel is a couple of inches longer, as well. Not sure how that will look with that much protruding from the forearm of the stock.

As mentioned, receivers are the same. All Finn Mosin-Nagants are built from Soviet/Russian receivers.

A few eastern-bloc countries (and the Chinese) manufactured them, often on Soviet supplied machinery.

http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/f..._nagantm39.asp

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinBarrel.htm
www.biggorillagunworks.com