The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 21, 2012, 07:48 AM   #26
shortwave

Very good advice V-in-LA.

Especially the added note inside the box stating the problem.
Old August 21, 2012, 01:05 PM   #27
Lee Lapin

Sorry to hear you're having issues with the new shotgun. Any mass manufactured product can have problems from time to time that factory QC doesn't catch. What matters is how the company handles it when it's brought to their attention, and Mossberg generally does pretty well making customers happy. I think shipping the shotgun back to the factory is your best bet rather than taking it to a 'smith yourself, unless they're a factory approved repair facility. There may not be much to the problem but whatever it is, they need to see it. That way if the problem persists or recurs, you're on the record with it from the getgo.

Hope they get it sorted out for you, one of the few shotguns I ever bought new in the box was a Mossberg combo like the one you describe. I used it off and on for a few years with zero problems. I loaned it (and a 1911A1, and my spare Seiko dive watch) to a good friend who had sold literally everything he owned to pay med school bills, including his guns. Hey, what are friends for?

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old August 21, 2012, 01:37 PM   #28
natman

Quote:
If correct, this seems to cover things.

Quote:
The U.S. Postal Service allows civilians to ship long guns to FFLs and licensed manufacturers, but prohibits civilians from shipping handguns period. FFLs and manufacturers can ship handguns cheaply through the Postal Service, but we can’t.
It's not quite correct. Civilians can't MAIL handguns via USPS, but they can SHIP them via UPS. The bad news is that UPS charges extortionate rates to ship them Next Day Air, so it is often cheaper to pay an FFL to mail them.

That said, the OP should take the gun back to the store and 1) try to exchange it for one that works (worth a try) 2) file a warranty claim and let the store ship it, or 3) ship / mail the gun to Mossberg, who will make it right.
Old August 21, 2012, 03:21 PM   #29
TheKlawMan

natman, This is a shotgun and not a handgun. The USPS will ship shotguns and rifles; just no handguns.

For the USPS go to http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

Especially see section 432.1 and 432.3 of Publication 52.

You can find the Gun Control Act here but the last I heard a standard Mossberg is pump is not a destructive device. http://www.keepandbeararms.com/laws/gca68.htm

Last edited by TheKlawMan; August 21, 2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old August 22, 2012, 12:32 PM   #30
dgludwig

Quote:
I find it a little surprising that working the action by hand managed to derail it like it has or even that it could be derailed.
I agree on this. In fact, it would seem to be almost impossible to do, even if you tried. Obviously, however, given the op's situation, it's painfully apparent that nothing is impossible.

I would like to hear what Mossberg has to say about this.
Old August 22, 2012, 06:57 PM   #31
pairofponies

Well, she's finally off in the mail. I've got to hand it to the USPS, $18 with insurance and they were easy to deal with. I'll post back when I hear from Mossberg.
Old August 22, 2012, 07:10 PM   #32
TheKlawMan

Cool. I didn't think the USPS would be a problem, unless you have a jerk for a local postmaster.
Old September 17, 2012, 01:44 PM   #33
pairofponies

Well, finally got the shotgun back, sounds like they replaced the elevator. Cycling now feels like it should, clean and smooth. There was definitely something up with it before. Now to find some time to take it out.

Thanks again for all the answers and suggestions.
Old September 18, 2012, 10:51 PM   #34
KevK.

Glad they took care of you. Please post up a range report! Let us know what you think once you put shells through it.