The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 5, 2012, 10:26 PM   #26
TheKlawMan

Not at Wally World where I went for cat food for our cat (BigJim salivates but diets can do that). I think I would have to be eating cat food before I would let them make up some glasses for me. A lady was complaining about her new glasses that they made up - and she works in the optical department.
Old July 6, 2012, 09:12 AM   #27
LSnSC

Zippy,
They absolutely did. I felt there was some distortion as well.
Old July 6, 2012, 10:40 AM   #28
zippy13

LSnSC, thanks for the heads-up.

TKM, I know quite a few shooters who need RX glasses and maintain a good selection of Decot lenses. Their solution is simple (and much cheaper when its time to change RX), they use the same Decots year in and year out and contacts for the RX.
Old July 6, 2012, 11:23 AM   #29
TheKlawMan

I have never tried contacts, Zippy. I have been thinking of it and supposedly the optometrist I see is especially good at prescribing for contacts. I think I should look into them. That is what oneounce does, IIRC.
Old July 6, 2012, 12:36 PM   #30
Couzin

Gave up on glasses and contacts - just had monovision lasik three weeks ago - vision is great and I am going out next week to 'test' the results. May have been a costly mistake - or a solution - but I was so tired of the glasses and just not being able to see well in all situations.
Old July 7, 2012, 03:52 PM   #31
TheKlawMan

I Love Moleskin (for use with street glasses)

As many know, I have been looking at shooting glasses, which for me perhaps are more important than some, because I look over the frames of my pilot style street glasses when shooting due to a long neck.

The fix is shooting glasses, but I need to wait a month to qualify for an examination paid for by my insurance. The glasses are expensive enough to pay for the exam if I don't wait 3 weeks. Meanwhile, a stock fitter showed me how to properly mount my XS Skeet and when I do I look clean over my streets. I want to shoot with the mount but it self defeating to shoot without prescription glasses as I have a fairly strong RX.

The temporary answer: $2 worth of MOLESKIN that I have in my shooting bag, anyway, for experimenting with raising my POI! Actually, I cut about a nickels worth and stick little pieces on my nose pads, as well as little pieces on the bridge of my nose. (I may be able to get away with one piece pon the pads if I can get thicker Moleskin.)

As is, one piece on each nose pad raises my street glasses so that I am looking beneath the top of my frames. Two pieces and the frames are out of sight.

I love moleskin!!
Old July 7, 2012, 04:00 PM   #32
TheKlawMan

I am still deciding on shooting glasses, but meanwhile I think I found a pretty good temporary solution. I started a thread on this since I have never seen it metioned elsewhere, but I raised my street glasses up with a nickel's wotrh of moleskin by cutting little pieces and sticking them to the bridge of my nose and to the pads of my glasses. Now I have to see how long it takes for them to fall off. Alternativley, I may try a piece the size of a bandaid placed across the bridge of my nose. Isn't that swank!!
Old July 7, 2012, 04:07 PM   #33
zippy13

TKM, you're stylin' now!
Old July 7, 2012, 04:43 PM   #34
TheKlawMan

Quote:
TKM, you're stylin' now!
Zippy. They look great with the white tape holding the one temple on.
Old July 7, 2012, 09:14 PM   #35
TheKlawMan

This is Stylin'

And it works, except the moleskin doesn't want to stick to sweaty skin. I could use a stapler? (No, Jim. Not the nail gun!)

Last edited by TheKlawMan; July 8, 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old July 7, 2012, 10:02 PM   #36
Al Den

Klaw, if I didn't know u and saw u in that gettup w/a shotgun, I'd have to confiscate it from u. Sorry.
Old July 8, 2012, 09:17 AM   #37
oletymer

You can buy packs of pads for the nose pads of your glasses. They are cheap and fit without cutting.
Old July 8, 2012, 02:55 PM   #38
TheKlawMan

Oletmeyer, Actually I tried to buy a set of those pads a coupld of nights ago and got distracted by the optometrice assistant. I think I will grab some today. They only have to last a month but for that month I want to be able to shoot and see through my glasses.

Anyway these are lovely moleskinners/

Old July 9, 2012, 10:46 AM   #39
Mike Irwin
Staff

Merged "problem - solution" threads.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 14, 2012, 02:31 AM   #40
TheKlawMan

I tried the packs of nose pads. It took 4 thin pads per nose piece to raise the glasses high enough to look through when I mounted the XS Skeet with the heel of the butt on the collar bone. Things started off pretty well, and went to hell. At the end of the first 25 I discovered that the pads had slipped off on one side and my glasses were canted radically.

After doing almost as poorly with the pads off and looking over the frames, I shot fairly well by taking my glasses off (even if I saw a very blurry clay about 4" below another one). I will likely try the two layers of moleskin across the bridge of my nose this week and am about to order the Randolph Engineering Ranger XLW with the presctiption insert
Old August 6, 2012, 09:32 PM   #41
TheKlawMan

I finally orderd some glasses. They may not help with my miserable shooting, but there is (almost) always hope.

I kind of liked the look of three layers of moleskin across the bridge of my nose to push my street glasses up. Damn glasses cost more than my 870.
Old August 22, 2012, 07:51 PM   #42
TheKlawMan

I got my Ranger XLW glasses with inserts from Tom at TexasShootersOptical ( http://www.texasshootersoptical.com/ ). Tom made me a deal that was hard to refuse; return them for full credit on Ranger Edges after trying them for 30 days and if I still don't like them. I don't think I will be returning them.

Caution: If anyone with a strong prescription is considering them, I paid $30 extra to upgrade the clear insert lenses to hi-def and even then they are just a bit on the heavy side. I think they would have been two heavy with regular CR-39 lenses. Glad I took Tom's advice on the upgrade.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; August 22, 2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old August 22, 2012, 08:21 PM   #43
mete

Years back when I got mine I was lucky to go to a place where the guy was a shooter . He knew exactly what I wanted !! As I'm putting my face down on the stock he made the optical center in the upper left part of the physical lense ! I also had him make the lenses in light grey as I prefer neutral color .They're great !
Old August 22, 2012, 08:38 PM   #44
TheKlawMan

I know what you are talking of, mete. I don't believe tom had that done. These glasses have an adjustable nose piece. Fully extended raises the optical center, medium is for normal use like driving or handguns, and up is for activities like golf in which you are looking down. For dedicated shotgun glasses, I believe what you had done is best.

There is a good guy and shooter in Iowa by name of Steve Maltzahn, at http://www.cleartargetoptics.com/ , that does that and I almost ordered from him a while back, but he had changed brands and I wasn't wild about his new line.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; August 23, 2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old August 22, 2012, 11:57 PM   #45
340 Weatherby

Klawman, my shooting glasses and driving glasses are the same (distance). I can't hardly see a plate of food in front of me with them though. I don't see why a good eye doctor can't fix you up with something that will work if you explain to them what you are doing. When I get new glasses, I have new polarized prescription lenses put in my old frames. I wear the clear set the first 45 minutes in Yuma, then change to the sunglasses because of the sun if the birds are coming from that direction.
Old August 23, 2012, 12:14 AM   #46
TheKlawMan

Hi 340. I needed actual shooting glasses because of a long neck that leaves me peering up through the tops of my eye sockets if I mount my gun properly. I realize that you would just get another gun, but the glasses, a different gun, or at least another stock were my only choices. I could have had them made with a small prism for that but opted against it. onI like my Browning and dedicated glasses seemed preferable a Monte Carlo type stock.

The glasses you have seen me shoot were made by my optometrist to be used for the street and shooting. They just didn't work out. I can see things up close pretty well with these shooters, but writing and fine things are a bitch. I could have had them made with a small prism for that but opted against it. onI like my Browning and dedicated glasses seemed preferable a Monte Carlo type stock.

The thing about the ones I got is that if my Rx changes, all I have to do is have the clear lenses of the insert replaced. I continue to use the same frame and all tinted lenses.
Old September 13, 2012, 02:19 AM   #47
TheKlawMan

I thought I should cap this off in case someone shopping for glasses sees it. This is written after I running a few hundred shot shells through it.

The only real trouble I had was that they slipped down on my nose, but there was a mistake in the shipment. 45 mm cable temples were ordered but the glasses shipped with 55's. Tom asked me to try them for a couple of weeks and then if I wanted he would send me the 45's. I e-mailed him today and he replied that they will ship to me tomorrow. I doubt that they will slip with the 45 mm temples.

There was a small fissure on the perimeter of one of the tinted lenses and Tom of Texas Shooters Optical is sending me a new set of tinted lenses.

Before I got them a question was raised about cleaning them. I haven't shot in the rain, but shot on three days with high humidity and 100 degree temperatures. The combination of sweat and probably sun block did accumulate on the inside of the prescription lenses, but was easily cleaned without needing to remove the outer non-prescrtipion polycarbonate lenses. (The Ranger XLW's have tinted nonprescription outer lenses made from polycarbonate and inner clear lenses. Since my prescription is fairly stong, I went with high index clear plastic lenses instead of C-39's. the idea is that if my script changes, I only have to get a set of lenses for the inserts and need not replace sets of outer tinted lenses.)

I am glad I went with glasses with an adjustable nose bridge. It has three positions. I shoot with them on postion 3, which is the extended position. This raises them up extra high, which I need else I will be looking over the optical center of the lenses. Some people may set it on the middle positon for things such as shooting a pistol or driving a car. I imagine some people could also use it for shotgunning; especially with a Monte Carlo stock. Thought I mainly shoot trap, I use a skeet gun. Position 1 is for looking down as when golfing.

Before getting them I discovered that some people had posted about trouble seeing the nose bridge in their peripheral vision. After the first day it wasn't a problem for me.

If you can afford to swap out all your colored lenses when your prescription changes, I would go with another model such as Ranger Edges or another brand without prescription inserts. While these come with the inserts (or you can order them without inserts), I may later try using them with contacts.
The insert frames are easily removed with a screwdriver supplied with the glass kit.

I followed the advice of most and went with mono focus distance lenses. I can read a little with them, but they are actually for shooting and I like the way I can see the target much more sharply with them then I did with progressive glasses.

One thing. Some mentioned them being heavy, which is one reason for getting high index lenses, for which I was only charged an additional $30. So far I have shot 6 boxes with them in near 100 degree heat and 70% plus humidity and I didn't notice the weight. In fact I kept forgetting whether I was wearing my street glasses or the Rangers.

That's about it.